IGNORED

R1100s Brake Rotors

oldnvrider

I have a 2002 R1100s Boxer Cup Prep that I have been freshening up. I am now replacing the front brake rotors.  The brake system is non-ABS and the front rotors (2) are 320mm x 4.5 mm and show on the fiche as part number 34 11 2 338 231. The problem I am having is identifying aftermarket rotors that I am certain will fit. It seems that most that I find correspond to the ABS system rotor (320 mm x 5.0 mm) with the part number 34 11 2 338 228. Any guidance or experience replacing these particular rotors will be most appreciated. 

22 hours ago, oldnvrider said:

I have a 2002 R1100s Boxer Cup Prep that I have been freshening up. I am now replacing the front brake rotors.  The brake system is non-ABS and the front rotors (2) are 320mm x 4.5 mm and show on the fiche as part number 34 11 2 338 231. The problem I am having is identifying aftermarket rotors that I am certain will fit. It seems that most that I find correspond to the ABS system rotor (320 mm x 5.0 mm) with the part number 34 11 2 338 228. Any guidance or experience replacing these particular rotors will be most appreciated. 

Afternoon  oldnvrider

I don't have any advise from experience but I believe the calipers are (or were) the same between the ABS & non ABS 1100s bikes (I'm not sure if that goes through the  2002 1100s bikes though)

In any case, do some research to see if the  calipers are the same, if they are the same then my guess is the  difference might just be different brake pads (probably brake pad thickness).

You might try calling Beemer Boneyard as possibly they have had to deal with this before-- maybe they  can give you a suggestion on what works or if the 5mm rotors will even work.  

szurszewski

My experience (I have a 2004 and 2001 S, both ABS) and research told me that there were only two different discs put on the S bikes at the factory, and that the difference was only in the overall diameter - not thickness. The earliest bikes, up PARTWAY through 2001, have smaller rotors - 305mm - and all the other bikes have the 320mm rotors. 

My research and limited personal experience also showed that the ABS and non-ABS bikes had different calipers but that you could swap them without changing anything else. 

The VAST majority (maybe all) of the aftermarket rotors listed for the R1100S are the 320mm - so you're in luck there and should be able to run any rotors you can find. (I was looking for the 305mm and ended up having to get a used set as I was unwilling to pay new BMW prices and couldn't find any aftermarket I was sure would be the smaller size - good news is I got a pair for under $100 in like new condition).

Suggest contacting Braketech.com for rotors. These are Ferodo rotors. I got a rear rotor for my 04 R1100S. You can contact Jeff Gehrs , his email is jeff@braketech.com. Looking through their website you probably won't find what you are looking for as I have always had to contact him to get the correct Ferodo pads for my 04 and my 16 R1200RS. Hope this helps.

1 hour ago, oldnvrider said:

Thanks, guys. I will do some more homework on this. 

Afternoon  oldnvrider

Yes do some research as I just looked in my old BMW parts book & it shows the below. 

___non ABS  1100s     (from 01/01 up)

Brake Disk =  320mm/4.5MM thick  

34117670391     BRAKE CALIPER EVO WITHOUT PAD,  LEFT - D=32/36MM (from 01/01)

34117670392     BRAKE CALIPER EVO WITHOUT PAD, RIGHT - D=32/36MM (from 01/01)

__With ABS 1100s   (from 06/03 up)

Brake disk =  320mm/5.0MM thick      

34117670391     BRAKE CALIPER EVO WITHOUT PAD, LEFT - D=32/36MM (from 06/03)

34117670392     BRAKE CALIPER EVO WITHOUT PAD, RIGHT - D=32/36MM (from 06/03)

There is also a pre (06/03) ABS  that uses different calipers so that is obviously a non player.

I'm not sure if the non ABS 320/4.5mm thick rotors have the same mounting as the later with/ABS 320/5.0mm rotors but it does appear they use the same calipers. 

I have 2 parts books that show this but that doesn't mean it is absolute gospel (just something to consider/look into)

oldnvrider, don't know if you are still looking for front brake rotors for your 2002 R1100S Boxer Cup prep, but I contacted Jeff Gehrs with Braketech about this since their website is having some problems. Here is his reply:

Here's the details on that R1100S application:

Ferodo discs are the best option for replacement choice. They are available for your motorcycle in an upgraded version of the OE disc.   All discs are manufactured with a laser cut, heat treated, high carbon stainless steel that provides:
• Higher friction coefficient
• Improved wear for both disc and brake pad
• Increased strength

We offer the Ferodo premium OE Replacement series stainless steel brake rotor for the BMW R1100/1150S series, these easily mount up same as your existing units, pricing:

FMD0083R.JPG
• FMD0083R, Front 320mm units, $194.95 ea.

FMD0075R.JPG

• FMD0075R, Rear 276mm units, $149.95 ea.

On pads, typically the [Platinum, CP] organic pads have the most feel and modulation at the brake lever.  The Platinum organic compound is one of the dominant pads used extensively in AHRMA Vintage class roadracing as it provides an optimal blend of power and control for a large cross-section of these classic series race bikes.  For real-world street use with stainless steel or iron rotors, we recommend the high performance Platinum pads as they are remarkably user friendly offering great overall power and modulation for those that do not prefer a high level initial bite.

The Ferodo SinterGrip ST brake pads represent the very latest in leading edge technology of sintered metal friction design.  These new pads provide outstanding performance not only in setting the standard for all-out braking power, but in truly remarkable feel and feedback as well.   Designed to be kind to stainless rotors, this advanced composition friction material allows the wheel to spin much more freely in comparison to other HH brand brake pads that create a power robbing and excessive brake drag situation on the rotor.
The FERODO SinterGrip pads offer superior stopping power combined with precision control, minimal brake drag, lower operating temperature and quick bed-in for a significant improvement in overall performance.

We offer the Platinum organic and the high performance HH-rated Ferodo SinterGrip ST series upgrade brake pads for these BMW's series:

FRONT PADS, Non-ABS Models
  • FDB2125P;    Platinum organic pads, $32.95 per caliper
  • FDB2125ST;  HH-rated SinterGrip ST Street `n Strip pads, $42.95

FRONT PADS, ABS Models
  • FDB2124P;    Platinum organic pads, $32.95 per caliper
  • FDB2124ST;  HH-rated SinterGrip ST Street `n Strip pads, $42.95

REAR PADS
  • FDB2039P;      Platinum organic, $32.95
  • FDB2039ST;   SinterGrip ST pads, $42.95

Thanks again,

JEFF GEHRS

BrakeTech USA, Inc.
18630 Collier Ave, Suite G
Lake Elsinore, CA 92530
www.braketech.com

M: 
T: 951-471-3476
F: 951-471-3436
E: jeff@braketech.com

Also, he sent this link to the technical information about the rotors since Ferodo lists only one thickness, 4.6 mm. https://ecat.ferodoracing.com/product-line/motorcycle/brake-discs/code/FMD0083

Not trying to push Braketech, just wanted to give information since website is screwed up. 

DR-I found a later on-line fiche and see what you mean. It looks like the 5.0 mm rotors and the non-abs calipers and pads are compatible. 

04-Thanks for your trouble. I had the problem with the BrakeTech website  but then had to go out of town for a few days and put everything on the back burner. I will check the Ferodos out. Thanks, again. 

11 hours ago, oldnvrider said:

DR-I found a later on-line fiche and see what you mean. It looks like the 5.0 mm rotors and the non-abs calipers and pads are compatible. 

Morning  oldnvrider

Just verify that the mounting to the wheel is the same (same bolt pattern & same hole spacing)