IGNORED

Can I delete a post?

From time to time I will reply to a post only to realize shortly afterward that my reply was incorrect or ill-advised.  Unlike other forums, I do not see a way to delete the post, even immediately after it is posted. I'm I missing an option here?

This particular software does not have a means to time constrain deletes ... meaning posts made at any time (even months or years ago) could be deleted.  Consequently to ensure some integrity of data,  a "no delete" policy for members was instituted.

However

A work around is to edit the post and take out or modify  most or all the offending material .  If taking it all out, in effect deleting the post, you might just edit the text to say "deleted" ... but not required.

However

Editing had a similar issue to deleting. that is, changing posts made months or years ago.  But  for editing. the software did offer a time constraint .. Consequently editing has been limited to the first 1440 minutes after it was posted.

A last resort, if the edit time has elapsed, is to "report" the post (hover over the upper right corner of the post), and advise that you'd like the post deleted ... Staff will get it and act on it.

35 minutes ago, chrisolson said:

A last resort, if the edit time has elapsed, is to "report" the post (hover over the upper right corner of the post), and advise that you'd like the post deleted ... Staff will get it and act on it.

As a follow up ... if the editing time has expired, the "Edit" option at the bottom of the post will be replaced with an "Options" link which will allow you to hide the post.  This is allowable at any time because this action does not delete the post, it only makes in invisible to the OP and other members.  Staff can still see it and bring it back if needed so data integrity is maintained.  

• 1 year later...
27 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

It worked, can you bring it back? :dontknow:

Management can bring it back ... to complete the example ... done.

BUT .... under normal circumstances if you really want it back, the preferred process would be to PM one of the Staff and let them know what you need.

• Thanks 1