IGNORED

BMW Motorrad Connected App

Shelterwoods

Shelterwoods

I am trying to import a GPX file into the BMW Motorrad Connected App. When I do try to import, the app will show the route, and give me the option to press "GO". However, when I press GO, the app starts to process, then comes back with "No route found". When I input the address that I want to go to using the search box, it works. I have used the app previously with my R1250RS, but have not tried to import a GPX file previously. Is there a special way to use this app when importing a GPX file?

Del

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2020 at 3:29 PM, Shelterwoods said:

I am trying to import a GPX file into the BMW Motorrad Connected App. When I do try to import, the app will show the route, and give me the option to press "GO". However, when I press GO, the app starts to process, then comes back with "No route found". When I input the address that I want to go to using the search box, it works. I have used the app previously with my R1250RS, but have not tried to import a GPX file previously. Is there a special way to use this app when importing a GPX file?

Del

Afternoon Del

I am not much help on what you are asking but my limited suggestion is to try to import a very small route made on roads that YOU KNOW  have not changed in years.

It's possible the map that the imported route was made on doesn't match the same roads that are in your imported-to motorcycle device.   

If  a small route on known existing roads works then you can track down WHY the one you are working with now doesn't work (ie too many points, too large of a file, roads not matching, corrupt route, etc.

Seeing as it is a .GPX are you SURE that it is a route & not a track that you are importing? Will that route that you are now trying to import open in BaseCamp as a ROUTE?

• 2 weeks later...
Shelterwoods

In the meantime, I'm using the web to find the address, then programming into the app. For now, that is working. I'll try the attached you mention soon.

Thank you.

• 1 year later...

It seems a new version of the app has just been released. I have been creating routes in BaseCamp and importing them into the app. When I do the same on the new app, I can browse to the folder that contains the GPX file but can import it.

Has anyone else had the same issue?

• 4 months later...
konacyclist

I took delivery of a new 2022 RT last week and I am pleased to report NO PROBLEMS YET !  with connectivity. I would like to thank all of you early adopters and the BMW Motorrad Connected IT team for working through the early teething problems. 

Lou

• Like 1
konacyclist

OK, so there is this one problem I ran into with the app itself. When I attempted to customize the app settings to use miles, Fahrenheit, PSI, US gallons, the app would not save those changes. BUT wait a minute, I just double checked and the correct settings are there !!! I did report the problem yesterday and today it is fixed. Amazing !!!:5223:

• 2 months later...
konacyclist

I guess it is human nature that even when things are going pretty well, you wish things were better. My wish is that I would not be required to join (or rejoin?) the WiFi network every time I want to use navigation and see maps. I have an iPhone Xs with the latest iOS and my navigation and maps show up consistently but only after I agree to join the network, which I assume is the bike's network. Is there a setting on my phone or the bike (2022 R1250RT) which will automatically connect to the bike's WiFi network without me pressing join in a dialog box? 

5 hours ago, konacyclist said:

Is there a setting on my phone or the bike (2022 R1250RT) which will automatically connect to the bike's WiFi network without me pressing join in a dialog box? 

Yes, it is, on the phone, but the problem with that on the iOS platform would be that you need to disable all other wifi networks to auto-join first and leave the bike's network on auto-join only. One downside is that you need to be connected to the given network to disable auto-join. Otherwise you can only delete the network from your list. Same for setting auto-join on, although that usually gets set as the default option when you first join.

The other downside is that if you want to use another wifi network, you would have to manually join it. This is how I have my '21 bike and iPhone 12 P/M set, but, admittedly, I don't have any real need for permanent connection to a wifi network, so does not inconvenience me much.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
konacyclist

Thanks! I suspected as much. I may just do that -- give the bike's network auto-join priority since it is inconvenient to access the phone to press join every time after I gas up or take a break. Any one have a hack for this?

5 hours ago, konacyclist said:

Any one have a hack for this?

Go on your phone to Settings/Wifi/ and turn off "Ask to Join Networks" first, then see if any networks that are listed have the blue "information" bubble next to them. If yes, tap on that and disable auto-join. Do this to any network you normally use, at home, work etc. Then turn on your bike and the Connected app, allow the phone to join the bike's network, go back to the wifi settings screen and make sure auto-join is on for it. That's it.

Be aware that some networks, in my case 5 GHz wifi, tends to set itself to auto-join after you manually make it connect to that network.  Keep an eye on that so you avoid the situation where the phone is connected to a network already when the bike starts its own, so it (your phone) does not drop the one its on and join your bike's. If it happens, just follow the above, rinse and repeat.

On 6/13/2022 at 1:40 AM, Hati said:

Yes, it is, on the phone, but the problem with that on the iOS platform would be that you need to disable all other wifi networks to auto-join first and leave the bike's network on auto-join only. One downside is that you need to be connected to the given network to disable auto-join. Otherwise you can only delete the network from your list. Same for setting auto-join on, although that usually gets set as the default option when you first join.

The other downside is that if you want to use another wifi network, you would have to manually join it. This is how I have my '21 bike and iPhone 12 P/M set, but, admittedly, I don't have any real need for permanent connection to a wifi network, so does not inconvenience me much.

Hmm, this could work as I have an older iOS phone that is dedicated to the bike (22RT) and I’ve already tried pretty much every other “fix” that I can find to attempt to keep from having to manually join the bike’s wi-if every time I need a coffee break.

Thanks.

AD

So I dragged the old iPhone 6S out of the front slot on the bike and removed the three “other” WiFi connections that it could hook up to when the bike was off.   So far so good.

Manually ”Forgot” all of them and turned off Auto-Join for each one.

Now the only WiFi that the phone should connect to would be the bike’s when it gets powered up.

Tested it this morning and it worked like one would think it should, albeit slowly, but that’s the BMW internal checking and all that.  Still can’t believe it takes 40 seconds for the radio to come on!

Anyway, went out for lunch and just turned the bike off.   When I came back out I just turned it on and sure enough within 2 minutes the NAV was up and running without me having to manually connect to the network.

Had some errands to run and each time it performed the way it is supposed to, mainly without my intervention to get it to connect.  This is good.

I will continue to watch this but hopefully this basically solves the manual intervention problem with the WiFi.

Now we need to get a readout on that huge TFT screen of the PHONE TEMPERATURE pretty soon.  It’s really cooking in there here in Florida.

AD

1 hour ago, ADulay said:

It’s really cooking in there here in Florida.

Some riders on the "other" forum. IIRC also in Florida, just leave the compartment's door open and their iPhones do not shut down. 

The other thing to remember with phones is that inductive charging generates more heat. If you can fit in a charge lead on the phone, it will be cooler.

25 minutes ago, Hati said:

Some riders on the "other" forum. IIRC also in Florida, just leave the compartment's door open and their iPhones do not shut down. 

The other thing to remember with phones is that inductive charging generates more heat. If you can fit in a charge lead on the phone, it will be cooler.

That might be a good Idea.  I had some warranty work done today at the dealership, they had to completely reinstall the software I won't go into the details but I hope that never happens again.  On my way home running navigation after about 20 minutes the navigation stopped and I lost the apps connection with the phone.  Knowing my way and committed to the roads I was going to travel I road on.  About and hour later I stopped to check what happen thinking it was the new bikes software update.  Nope the phone a Galaxy S10 shut down the App to stop the phone from overheating.   It was 102 in North Texas today, my dash read 102-108

I lost navigation twice on my way to the Springfield rally this year due to overheating of the phone. The good news is with the exception of voice commands through my Sena SMH10R headset, the navigation worked well every time.  Big improvement over last year.  Now if they had only NOT used TomTom as a basis. I use a Rider 400 on my old bike and have struggled for years with their maps not to mention the lack of updated POI's.

On 6/13/2022 at 8:38 AM, konacyclist said:

Thanks! I suspected as much. I may just do that -- give the bike's network auto-join priority since it is inconvenient to access the phone to press join every time after I gas up or take a break. Any one have a hack for this?

One thing I've been doing lately when I need to shut of the bike for a short time and don't want to reset everything is to use the kill button to shut it off for a gas stop, drive-up, brief roadside stop etc.   Your lights stay on. Your turn signals and all electrics work as if the bike were still on but engine shuts off.  If you leave it that way for a long time, it shuts itself off.   

I shut off my bike at long lights, trains, drive-up cash machines etc. since gas went over $6/gal around here.   Using kill switch is perfect for that.  

On 6/24/2022 at 3:53 PM, Hati said:

I don't know where I got this, but I have a mylar "emergency thermal blanket".  It's supposed to keep you warm by reflecting body heat.  Very small thing that's thinner than human hair, I think, and folds into a kleenex pack only thinner.   I put that, in folded form, wherever I want to reflect heat away from something.  I had it under my phone in the phone compartment and it never overheated.   A lot of the heat is coming up from the engine and radiators.   This keeps it from soaking into the phone.   

I've changed bikes now and no longer have a phone pocket.  I use this mylar "emergency blanket" in the map pocket of my tank bag.  (bottom under the clear map cover is black).   I refolded this reflective stuff to fit the whole map pocket under the clear plastic.  The stuff in my tank bag doesn't bake quite so much. I could bake cookies in there before!   It's like a magnifying glass in the sun.   I sandwiched an actual map under the clear map pocket cover and over the top of the mylar so the reflection doesn't drive me nuts while I'm riding.  I'd rather my little Giant Loop bag didn't have a map pocket at all... but it does.  This helps.   

All the stuff you're saying above about the phone is  true and constructive.   I'd add that the charge rate of inductive chargers is generally less than the phone consumption with BMW app or Google Maps running.  Better to plug in a USB cord.  ...Good post!

• 3 weeks later...
fourteenfour

quick connected app question.  I am tempted to pick up a used RT ... yet again... 

the phone cannot lock? even auto lock is disables the app? 

trying to sort that issue out, my phone is required to lock which would eliminate the app at all for me

9 hours ago, fourteenfour said:

quick connected app question.  I am tempted to pick up a used RT ... yet again... 

the phone cannot lock? even auto lock is disables the app? 

trying to sort that issue out, my phone is required to lock which would eliminate the app at all for me

I use my work phone and our security measures are fixed by the IT department, locking is one of them and I've had  no issues with it.

• Like 1
fourteenfour
4 hours ago, NewportCycle said:

I use my work phone and our security measures are fixed by the IT department, locking is one of them and I've had  no issues with it.

that is good, it was what I am worried about.  So no functionality from navigation to as simple as music is lost if it locks on its own?

3 hours ago, fourteenfour said:

that is good, it was what I am worried about.  So no functionality from navigation to as simple as music is lost if it locks on its own?

I didn't try playing music while using the app.  But I know the app functioned with turn-by-turn navigation, recording location mapping and riding stats while locked.  Seems like being locked does not interfere with the app functioning.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, BrianT said:

I didn't try playing music while using the app.  But I know the app functioned with turn-by-turn navigation, recording location mapping and riding stats while locked.  Seems like being locked does not interfere with the app functioning.

I concur with this, I do not have music on my phone only navigation and no issues.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I do believe I’ve finally got the whole TFT experience under control now with a dedicated phone and some patience at the start of the day.

Was doing some basic trip planning today and in the “Search” window I type in “Sikeston” as in Missouri.

Nothing came up.  Yes, the Missouri map is downloaded.  Wouldn’t bring up St. Louis either.

Perhaps there is a range limitation on searches?

I’ve typed in “Cleveland” and I get all of the small cities in the surrounding states but not Cleveland, Ohio.

Am I missing something in the search mode?

If the search is in my contacts it does show up.

AD

13 hours ago, ADulay said:

I do believe I’ve finally got the whole TFT experience under control now with a dedicated phone and some patience at the start of the day.

Was doing some basic trip planning today and in the “Search” window I type in “Sikeston” as in Missouri.

Nothing came up.  Yes, the Missouri map is downloaded.  Wouldn’t bring up St. Louis either.

Perhaps there is a range limitation on searches?

I’ve typed in “Cleveland” and I get all of the small cities in the surrounding states but not Cleveland, Ohio.

Am I missing something in the search mode?

If the search is in my contacts it does show up.

AD

Sikeston comes up on my search.  I had a map update on 6/7/22 for my entire database.  I'd check that and make sure you are giving the app full permissions.

Just finished a 9 hour ride in 104 degree temps and the iPhone 11 did NOT shut down due to overheating.  This surprises me for sure.

As the phone gets pretty hot in there under normal riding, this over 100 degree riding seemed like it should doom the NAV system but it didn’t.

Just an update for those having the TFT/NAV problems.

AD

• Like 1

Interesting reading the entire chain. Yes on all, have been through them and I have started to keep the phone in bag not the pocket. Of course on longer rides it need to be charged as well so can cable it or stick into pocket with lid closed or open but boy does it get hot. Did never overheat though.

the Wi-Fi issue is annoying and since I'm using my regular phone I don't want to eliminate the auto join for home networks. So at start it always asks and then I have used the trick of kill switching for short stops, turning all else possible off. 

south Florida heat is killing the riding without a wet vest right now. 

h

fourteenfour

never mind, found out they are using Bosch's MySpin app which pretty much rules out future Apple Car Play.  Oh well, that solves one purchasing decision