IGNORED

New rider, first bike...

Matts_12GS

Looking for some input from the collective here...

My 18 year old son just finished his MSF basic course and is heading to college near Charlotte, NC in a few weeks.  He's agreed to wait until next spring to buy a bike, but, as expected, his curiosity has him shopping.  

He's 6'4, 240# and is being "forced" to look at larger framed bikes to be comfortable.  

So far we have looked at VSTROM 650s, a CB750 Nighthawk, an R1100R and R1100RS as well as a couple metric cruisers...

The BMW, like mine,are maintenance dependent which means most likely doing them in a parking lot of at all.  The vstrom I like because it has ABS like the beemer.  The cruiser is a stone Axe pretty much and needs little maintenance beyond oil and chain care.

We have avoided project bikes and Harleys because his budget is around $4000 and he won't have much mechanical backup should something need work.

My question is this...

What bikes am I missing?  I know I have blindspots, help me fill them in.

I’ve been asked by a few of the younger guys at work about “what bike” should I get? As you insisted I’m sure, I told them to get their license through an MSF course first. :old: 

A local bike shop had this kinda cool looking Street Rod on the floor for $6K (200 miles on it) that I was going to point them to. But, they not be 6’ 4” tall either!  How bout a KLR 650? Not a bad first streetish bike. Yeah, can’t go wrong with a VSTROM. :thumbsup:

4B838A6B-2838-4395-8752-E8B36E4C0D4C.jpeg

• Like 1

Hey Matt!  My first bike was an R1100R....what a great bike!  Fun, strong, versatile/adaptable, and if carefully checked out before buying, should be relatively low maintenance and long-lasting.  I stepped up to an 1100RS after that, wanting something sportier in my youth.  Either of those would make a great starter bike but I'd lean to a more standard style for a first bike.  Lots of other standards out there and you should find some relatively young ones in the 500-750cc range.

One other thought, with the really aggressive financing deals around right now, some with maintenance offers too, might it make sense to up the total purchase budget to $6-8,000 to get a new bike with a warranty?  Either way, best of luck!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Id's_OK said:

One other thought, with the really aggressive financing deals around right now, some with maintenance offers too, might it make sense to up the total purchase budget to $6-8,000 to get a new bike with a warranty? 

If we weren't having to pay tuition at the same time, that would be a better option for sure. 

Hopefully we find him a bike that he can ride through college, and maybe keep with a soft spot like FB with his Boston Green RT. 

He'd be hard pressed to find a better option than the Vstrom.  As reliable as a hammer, yet plenty of get up and go...enough to get you into trouble if you're not paying attention.  Put on a set of spools and get a paddock stand for chain maintenance if it doesn't come with a center stand. Large on-line support through Stromtrooper forum.  They've been around for years for a reason.

• Like 2

I also vote for the V-Strom. I had an SV650 (same motor) and its a great bike and will be powerful enough to handle his big frame. It will also demand his respect which I think is pretty important for a first bike. That being said my second choice would be the Nighthawk 750. If the previous owners took decent care of either bike they are pretty much bullet proof. 

• Like 2

Another vote for the VStrom. I had a 650 and it was bulletproof.  Plenty of power and used farkles are abundant. 

szurszewski

Yep - SV650. 

_I_ don't want one...but I can't think of a better fit for your criteria.

Oh - or he could buy the R1100S I just listed for sale here...service is all up to date and it's well inside the budget. What could go wrong?!

roadscholar

VStrom is pretty much the obvious choice for all the reasons listed but I don't know, I might see if he'd settle for a KLR to start off with. For one they're slow and tough to get into trouble on, they react quicker to input because they have a semi-dirtbike setup and suspension. And it doesn't hurt to have some dirt and lite offroad experience, makes one a better street rider by understanding maneuverability and the different limits of traction. Heck it's probably going to sit outside the first year or so anyway so keeping the same bike for 4 years may be wishful thinking.

When I was in college I went from a Honda CB450 to a Kawasaki 350 Big Horn (stupid fast, even I knew it was dangerous) and ended up with a Yamaha 360 enduro. What a great motorcycle, couldn't get into much trouble on the street and was pretty competent offroad. The thing is when you're young and a new rider you don't realize how much you don't know, I sure didn't, starting off slow can give you some leeway.      

• Like 3
7 hours ago, roadscholar said:

VStrom is pretty much the obvious choice for all the reasons listed but I don't know, I might see if he'd settle for a KLR to start off with. For one they're slow and tough to get into trouble on, they react quicker to input because they have a semi-dirtbike setup and suspension. And it doesn't hurt to have some dirt and lite offroad experience, makes one a better street rider by understanding maneuverability and the different limits of traction. Heck it's probably going to sit outside the first year or so anyway so keeping the same bike for 4 years may be wishful thinking.

When I was in college I went from a Honda CB450 to a Kawasaki 350 Big Horn (stupid fast, even I knew it was dangerous) and ended up with a Yamaha 360 enduro. What a great motorcycle, couldn't get into much trouble on the street and was pretty competent offroad. The thing is when you're young and a new rider you don't realize how much you don't know, I sure didn't, starting off slow can give you some leeway.      

KLR/DR650 were my initial thoughts as well, until I thought, maybe getting him something with ABS to learn on might be a good option as well.  

I'm with you on the fact that it will sit outside most of it's life, unless I can find one of the charlotte crew with a little extra garage space he could rent cheap. 

Maybe....Something like this....:dontknow:

2004 - $4000  I bet he'd go $3500. :thumbsup:

Matt, this is just fun stuff (spending other people's money :grin:) for some of us so no worries if not interested.

00y0y_54QMf7cQ8WP_0CI0iP_1200x900.jpg

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

You could teach him "old school can be cool" with this one. He may not appreciate it just yet, though. :grin:

00S0S_kCKsTrsh1Kv_0bh0bx_1200x900.jpg

That is so pretty. I may need it instead!

• Haha 1

How about a K75/100? Very reliable motors. I think Knifemaker, still has his sons K75S in storage. Also keep the a F650 models in mind. Great college bikes. 

szurszewski

Careful - I bought my first real motorcycle (R60/7) in college, in 1997, and I’ve been stuck with these damn BMWs since! Don’t start your boy down the wrong path ;)

6 minutes ago, szurszewski said:

Careful - I bought my first real motorcycle (R60/7) in college, in 1997, and I’ve been stuck with these damn BMWs since! Don’t start your boy down the wrong path ;)

Yep, I figure this is my best way to keep him off drugs in college, get him hooked on riding so he'll spend it all on bikes and girls instead!

That statement is so true!

Let's be honest, Matt's son wants an R1, chicks do not dig some old man's "adventure utility" bike, especially with giant steel utility boxes for saddlebags....

Where's the emoji for stirring the pot?

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Hosstage said:

That statement is so true!

Let's be honest, Matt's son wants an R1, chicks do not dig some old man's "adventure utility" bike, especially with giant steel utility boxes for saddlebags....

Where's the emoji for stirring the pot?

You know that. I know that. 

Hell, his mom knows that too.  

However, I'm still trying this as a parenting win that he's even interested in riding something ADV esque! :bike:

As you may know I've just sold an 1100R - great bike but I wonder if it may feel a bit cramped for someone who is 6ft 4 tall - I'm only 5ft 8.

Never had a V Strom although I did test ride one - I'd be recommending this bike - proven providence and many owners swear by them - can't say better than that.

Steve

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, AZgman said:

But it has a cracked "farrington"!  :o

Actually says he has a new one. :18: Probably needs paint though. :dontknow:

szurszewski
41 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

man those mirrors are butt ugly....just saying..

I agree totally - which is funny because I'm certain those are the mirrors for/from an R1100S, and I don't think they look bad on the S at all. 

SZ...yep.  wrong bike.  They are probably pretty good mirrors but putting them on the fairing like that he might as well mounted them on the front fender.

10 hours ago, ERdok said:

Honda NC700X?

Looks like several on cycle trader near your price range.

I tried talking a friend of mine into one of those for her return to biking after about 5 years, but she's a cruiser girl, so no go. I think they would be a good bike for less experienced, smaller rider as it's less weight than a cruiser and plenty of power, a bit of weather protection with the fairing. A fine bike for experienced riders as well. For someone that is 6'4" tall, it may be a little cramped, not sure, I've not sat on one.

4 hours ago, Hosstage said:

I tried talking a friend of mine into one of those for her return to biking after about 5 years, but she's a cruiser girl, so no go. I think they would be a good bike for less experienced, smaller rider as it's less weight than a cruiser and plenty of power, a bit of weather protection with the fairing. A fine bike for experienced riders as well. For someone that is 6'4" tall, it may be a little cramped, not sure, I've not sat on one.

I haven't rode or sat on one either, just seems like a nice starter bike that doesn't look like a starter bike.

This may help:  https://cycle-ergo.com/

1 hour ago, ERdok said:

This may help:  https://cycle-ergo.com/

That site is really cool. 

I was able to get Nate to look at bikes on it to see how he would look and see if he can comprehend how to be comfortable on one

• 1 month later...
On 7/22/2020 at 10:42 AM, Matts_12GS said:

@moshe_levy any advice on the Guzzi V7 as a starter bike? I've found a good deal down in Miami on one. 

If you've got service locally or can work on it yourself, then I would say they're absolutely fantastic. I love my V7R. It's got loads of "character" and it's rare!

-MKL

• Like 1

+1 on the V7. I had a 2009 and it was a great bike. Easy to service even with only basic mechanical ability, and would be a good one.

I sold mine on after 9 years due to not using it enough...... (five bikes in the garage then).

Though it may get him started down the Italian bike wormhole..:revit:

• Like 1

First bike? I'd say nothing over $1000, maybe $1200. Financing? I'd say that's a mistake. Something cheap and scratched, then after a couple of years get something better. Find something decent for 1200, ride the snot out of it for a couple of years (keep it clean and maintained) and sell it for...1200! What could be better? I'm generally against financing anything, except maybe a house. My .02c. Dave

• Like 1

I have a Vstrom 650 and they are more reliable and tuffer than a bowling ball.  However, as a first bike, considering the safety aspect, plus the budget, plus upkeep and fuel mileage, plus distraction from the whole purpose of being there in the first place, plus the "chick magnet" effect (VERY important), plus the campus parking, maintenance, upkeep, etc, etc.   So what about a scooter??  Yes, he's a big dude, but there are scooters to fit.  A Honda PCX150, for example.  ??

Wingate U, by chance??

I was in a similar predicament. At the time, over 6'5, 275. No way I was going to get a honda rebel or some starter bike. A friend's brother in law was selling a 1978 KZ1000A. I wish I still had it for sentimental reasons. Today, there are a lot more choices.