IGNORED

When Rona comes to visit.

MikeB60

Been almost two weeks since my first symptoms of Covid 19.  My coworker called on 5 July, sounded like death warmed over and was sure he had it.  I immediately thought this ain't good, we had been together in the car a few times during the previous week.   All of the rapid tests are limited to essential personnel so based on his symptoms we assumed, confirmed a week later, that he had contracted the virus.   On the 7th, I got home and realized I had no sense of smell.  Crap...Drove to the hospital on post the next day, and after a 5 hour wait got tested and spoke with a Doc.  14 day isolation and based on the symptoms you got the Rona.  Still waiting on the test results but it's just a formality at this point. 

I was/am fortunate not to have the congestion mainly a loss of appetite (not really a bad thing!), chronic fatigue, and a occasional cough.   Started feeling better on Friday hopefully I'm moving to the other side of it.  My coworker is still sick really congested but says he is feeling a little better.  His 78 y/o mother who lives with him also tested positive, she is in the hospital for observation but is doing ok.  

DyAnne is fine, she is upstairs and I am in the back rooms of the downstairs, separate A/C systems. We wear a mask in the common areas and only visit outside. I'm only using paper plates and have a bathroom to myself. 

Wash your mitts and wear a mask.  You really dont even want a mild case of this. 

• Sad 11
szurszewski

Glad to hear you’re fairing well - best wishes for a full recovery and continued health for your wife and your coworker’s mother!

• Like 2

Dang Mike.  Hope you get better.  Hopefully your coworker gets better, too.   

Keep DyAnne safe.  Speedy recovery.

• Like 1
John Ranalletta
9 hours ago, MikeB60 said:

Been almost two weeks since my first symptoms of Covid 19.  My coworker called on 5 July, sounded like death warmed over and was sure he had it.  I immediately thought this ain't good, we had been together in the car a few times during the previous week.   All of the rapid tests are limited to essential personnel so based on his symptoms we assumed, confirmed a week later, that he had contracted the virus.   On the 7th, I got home and realized I had no sense of smell.  Crap...Drove to the hospital on post the next day, and after a 5 hour wait got tested and spoke with a Doc.  14 day isolation and based on the symptoms you got the Rona.  Still waiting on the test results but it's just a formality at this point. 

I was/am fortunate not to have the congestion mainly a loss of appetite (not really a bad thing!), chronic fatigue, and a occasional cough.   Started feeling better on Friday hopefully I'm moving to the other side of it.  My coworker is still sick really congested but says he is feeling a little better.  His 78 y/o mother who lives with him also tested positive, she is in the hospital for observation but is doing ok.  

DyAnne is fine, she is upstairs and I am in the back rooms of the downstairs, separate A/C systems. We wear a mask in the common areas and only visit outside. I'm only using paper plates and have a bathroom to myself. 

Wash your mitts and wear a mask.  You really dont even want a mild case of this. 

Mike, so sorry to hear this.  Get over it quick.  Ruth will reach out to DyAnne.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Rougarou said:

Drink water if that don’t work take Motrin if that don’t work change your socks:)

Quit whinin, go see Doc and get a tampon!

• Haha 2
22 hours ago, MikeB60 said:

Yes ... wise words ....   Please keep us advised of your progress .... hoping for the best of outcomes for you , your family and co-worker .... 

• Like 2
On 7/18/2020 at 7:01 PM, MikeB60 said:

You really dont even want a mild case of this. 

I’m not so sure on this....

Good to read that your on the mend. 

Hope you don’t have much in the way of lasting negative effects & hoping that you retain positive lasting effects.  

Perhaps better to receive a mild dose & build up a certain amount of immunity then to have no immunity & receive a large dose with no immunity.  

• Like 1
23 hours ago, ESokoloff said:

Perhaps better to receive a mild dose & build up a certain amount of immunity then to have no immunity & receive a large dose with no immunity

There is a certain logic to that ... were it that simple  ... 

Unfortunately one can't pick and choose the level of severity of the disease for an initial infection .

A working, safe vaccine is truly the only way that we will be able to  return to "normal"

• Like 3

All the best Mike.  Which means a speedy recovering, no lasting side effects, and that you don't get it a second time (since they have now proven that is possible).

• Thanks 1
On 7/21/2020 at 12:48 PM, chrisolson said:

Unfortunately one can't pick and choose the level of severity of the disease for an initial infection .

Yep, “‘‘tis better to be lucky then good”

Part of me hopes I’ll develop a mild case so I have a better chance if avoiding a Major case, but with my luck I would receive a severe case:P

Promising treatment pending.

40 minutes ago, ESokoloff said:

Part of me hopes I’ll develop a mild case so I have a better chance if avoiding a Major case, but with my luck I would receive a severe case:P

Therapeutics are good ... even one early study indicating adults getting a booster MMR vaccine may have similar reduction in severe reactions.  I'd definitely vote for something that takes the bite out of CIVID-19.:18:

Unfortunately I'm in the group where any infection may not be good...even without severe reactions.  There can be long term effects which have surfaced in some patients which are still being identified / confirmed.  So for me, at least for now, the only prudent solution is  to avoid infection if possible.

But there's also indications that infection doesn't automatically convey immunity . .. at least not as most expect. 

Early studies indicate  a mild or asymptomatic case might extend immunity for 3 months vs a severe case maybe a year or more.  This doesn't bode well for long term, single shot vaccinations.

There is so much preliminary data and ongoing studies that who knows what really will pan out.  These things take time ... one wants to wait for the completion of accurate trials. 

These are not simple tasks... there's a lot of development / documentation that goes into the design of the trial itself  as well as finding and monitoring enough willing patients both control and experimental and then the final review of the data and FDA approval.... let alone finding the funding for all of this.

• Like 1

Thanks for asking. Overall I'm much better. Still really can't smell, some lingering concentration issues along with loss of balance (not issues you want on a motorcycle!).  Thank goodness the fatigue is gone.  

Unfortunately my daughter tested positive on Tuesday. Her case is mild at this point hopefully it stays that way.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
John Ranalletta
12 minutes ago, MikeB60 said:

Thanks for asking. Overall I'm much better. Still really can't smell, some lingering concentration issues along with loss of balance (not issues you want on a motorcycle!).  Thank goodness the fatigue is gone.  

Unfortunately my daughter tested positive on Tuesday. Her case is mild at this point hopefully it stays that way.  

Mike, hope you guys shake this thing soon.  Got plenty of time to heal before FART!

Loss of balance suggest middle ear involvement.  Had to look it up.

A large case series from Wuhan describe dizziness as a symptom in 8% of confirmed COVID 19 patients (Chen, Wu et al. 2020), though another study from Wuhan specifically querying neurological symptoms among confirmed cases of COVID 19 reported dizziness in 16.8% of patients (Mao, Jin et al. 2020). The mechanism by which COVID 19 may cause dizziness is unclear; since the disease appears to be capable of affecting individual cranial nerves (as happens in anosmia (Gautier and Ravussin 2020, Giacomelli, Pezzati et al. 2020, Mao, Jin et al. 2020, Mermelstein 2020, Vavougios 2020), optic neuritis (Dessau, Lisby et al. 1999) and ophthalmoparesis (Dinkin, Gao et al. 2020)), it is conceivable that it causes vestibular neuritis, though this remains a conjecture requiring further study.

• Like 1

Glad to hear you're working your way through this! Sorry bout your daughter though, hopefully she'll breeze right through it! :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Donate and as a part of donating blood, you get a FREE COVID antibody test, it is absolutely FREE to check if your body has created the antibodies that fight off COVID, did I mention that it was FREE for the check,.........you also could save lives with your small donation;)

I'm going today.

image.png.35e13eacec967fbe7f8dee4eeff4e74a.png

• Like 3
55 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Donate and as a part of donating blood, you get a FREE COVID antibody test, it is absolutely FREE to check if your body has created the antibodies that fight off COVID, did I mention that it was FREE for the check,.........you also could save lives with your small donation;)

I'm going today.

image.png.35e13eacec967fbe7f8dee4eeff4e74a.png

I'm going to check into the plasma thing. Lived in some real shitholes over the years and they wouldn't take my blood and I just quit trying.  I've also tested positive for TB (thanks Iraq!) although never had the disease or any symptoms. That was all a while ago we will see what they say...

10 hours ago, MikeB60 said:

I'm going to check into the plasma thing. Lived in some real shitholes over the years and they wouldn't take my blood and I just quit trying.  I've also tested positive for TB (thanks Iraq!) although never had the disease or any symptoms. That was all a while ago we will see what they say...

I'm a PPD converter, had to take the TB drugs when I was a kid 'cause my brother had it.  Anyway, if it's been awhile since you've tried, give it a go again.

From today......that machine behind me does all the work.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
John Ranalletta
Just now, Rougarou said:

I'm a PPD converter, had to take the TB drugs when I was a kid 'cause my brother had it.  Anyway, if it's been awhile since you've tried, give it a go again.

From today......that machine behind me does all the work.

Got a note from the local blood bank saying they want my red blood cells.  Takes longer I guess and can have some side effects.

2 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

Got a note from the local blood bank saying they want my red blood cells.  Takes longer I guess and can have some side effects.

A powerred just takes the redblood cells.  It does take longer, but I don't know about side effects as I've not experienced any.  You do get a metal taste in your mouth when the plasma gets pumped back in, but it dissipates quickly after the donation is over.

Give it a go,.....the need is now.

The Red Cross is also collecting plasma and testing it from Platelet donors.  I give Platelets once a month and they recently started testing it for anti-bodies, mine came back negative.

• Like 1

Good and bad maybe? Probably mostly good.

I’d like to have a few antibodies myself but getting them’s the tricky part. And, do we know if that’s the silver bullet needed to keep you from contracting it? :dontknow:

42 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Good and bad maybe? Probably mostly good.

I’d like to have a few antibodies myself but getting them’s the tricky part. And, do we know if that’s the silver bullet needed to keep you from contracting it? :dontknow:

Don't know, but Sweden seems to be dropping from their experiment

• Like 1