IGNORED

Anyone tried the wunderlich brake pedal lowering kit?

paRTy

Was wondering if anyone has tried the brake pedal lowering kit that is supplied with their lowering footpegs? Work well?

It's a small metal piece that pushes the brake master cylinder? back a bit and in turn lowers the brake pedal when reinstalled. For me, a lot cheaper than a whole new adjustable brake pedal from other vendors.

Thx in advance.

That was on back order when I was looking into lowered pegs. 

I installed the Knight Design pegs. 

I also didn't buy a rear brake lever kit of any kind. I simply shortened the pushrod on the rear master cylinder to lever and it is within about 1/4" of the same angle as I started with. I actually like it a fudge lower after trying it. 

You have to remove the stop nut on top of the bracket that holds the lever. Shorten the pushrod by removing from the lever end. I did not remove the pushrod, simply used a high speed cutoff disc to shorten the pushrod. Clean up the threads, put some loctite on the threads and screw back on the U shaped bracket as far up as it will go. Reinstall pins and Voila!

Thx, have heard about the solution you mention.

I'd rather not cut the pushrod right now. Having the wunderlich plate allows one to go back to OEM status if it doesn't work. I do have the Knight Design lowers already, so don't need the Wunderlch pegs.

thx

Hello paRTy,

I have the Wunderlich peg lowering kit and I like it. It uses the stock pegs with the rubber covers which I find less slippery with my boots as well as the adapter plate for the rear brake cylinder. The adapter plate does put the brake lever in a good angle/height relative to the lowered peg height. Like you said, it is fully reversible. 

I have the TracTive dampers (from Ted’s BeemerShop), set my ESA solo with luggage (I have the large top case  with around 20#’s of stuff), weigh 260 in riding gear, and will only touch the feelers down in slower (<40mph) turns occasionally. So for me, the lower pegs are not an issue for cornering clearance. When I do drag them, I know I’m riding as fast as is prudent for me. I’ll have a 1/4-3/8” chicken strip on my rear tire. 

The only issue I had with the kit is after a zero speed tip over (don’t ask!), the small tab that retains the return spring (that keeps the folding pegs from staying folded up) broke off.  I had some wire with me and was able to retain the spring with that. The tab is part of the lowering bracket located at the bottom of the bracket.    I know a machinist who could drill and tap the bottom of the bracket to accept a small screw to replace the broken tab, but the wire is working well and I’ve been too lazy to take it apart and get it done. 

5A7DC3B3-2B3F-41D7-9109-2521E6C68C30.jpeg

992975B7-A793-4434-BD6D-531291A006DA.jpeg

C4CEE4BD-CD28-440B-BA22-607F72AABC0F.jpeg

Thx Paul4450, really appreciate the pics.

Quite the work around on the spring. A McGiver for sure.

Was wondering if you can do me a favor?...

What is the width of the spacer that is over the screws going into the master cylinder? 

I have to create that depth with washers. This would be a huge help.

thx!

Hi paRTy,

The spacer is the same width as the spot on the original mounting bracket  If you can get that close with washers, that should work fine. I’m sure the brake will work fine if you get it close. 

It’s too bad BMW didn’t make the brake pedal height adjustable. It couldn’t cost that much more!  I mean list price is $20K plus!!!