IGNORED

2005 r1200st red triangle issue

Smirk

Hi.

I've just bought a 14000 mile r1200st.

I'm slowly bonding with it!

However it seems to have an issue. Whilst riding & for no reason I can see - the red warning triangle lights up. Nothing else at all on the main dash. Just the red triangle on the upper dash.

If I stop, turn it off - then restart after self check, it's good again. But then after 10 miles or so it came back on again.

I've checked bulbs brake switches etc but they would all put a lcd picture on main dash & there is nothing.

Any ideas.?

Many thanks 

36 minutes ago, Smirk said:

Hi.

I've just bought a 14000 mile r1200st.

I'm slowly bonding with it!

However it seems to have an issue. Whilst riding & for no reason I can see - the red warning triangle lights up. Nothing else at all on the main dash. Just the red triangle on the upper dash.

If I stop, turn it off - then restart after self check, it's good again. But then after 10 miles or so it came back on again.

I've checked bulbs brake switches etc but they would all put a lcd picture on main dash & there is nothing.

Any ideas.?

Many thanks 

Afternoon   Smirk

As a rule, when you have ONLY the red triangle lit up (no other warning indicators) that indicates a problem with a brake switch.

So re-verify the brake switches, you might need a GS-911 or dealer computer to see what the actual stored failure code is (could be internal to the ABS module). 

Next time that you get the red warning triangle, carefully coast to stop (if possible) without using the brakes, leave the engine running, then carefully get off the motorcycle & see if you have the brake light staying on. 

duckbubbles

2005 ST owners manual-

Red warning only indicates either engine oil temperature too high, engine oil pressure too low or brake switch defective.  All other red warnings are accompanied by a flashing ABS symbol.

Frank

Cheers for the replies... I was blaming the rear brake switch as the pedal was badly adjusted & didn't feel like it was returning properly 100% everytime. I've adjusted it & will give it another go tomorrow. I will try the coast to a stop if it does it again. Engine temp was fine & oil level is good by the way.

Is there a cheap option for a faulticode reader?

Will let you know.

1 hour ago, Smirk said:

Yes it is, you need a reasonably specific bluetooth OBDII reader and an adaptor cable. You can then get an app (Android only) that will communicate with the hexhead computers, However it is nowhere near as advanced as the GS-911, cannot interpret some of the error codes properly and functionally is much more restricted, even if you buy the most expensive version of the app.

There was/is a lot of reverse engineering done by the GS-911 people that is lacking with the other product so even though it looks like an economical solution, it is not. Unless you just want it for resetting the service reminder.

When I bought this "solution" a year or so ago, it was a hundred or so dollars plus the app. I had a borrowed 911 at the time so could compare directly on my RT. Suffice to say shortly after I bought a "used" 911. The caveat is that I do all the work on the bike so I need all the functions offered by the 911 unit.

The app is called MotoScan and the website is https://www.wgsoft.de/ They have the specs for the reader that works with the bike and their app.

15 hours ago, Smirk said:

Will let you know.

Evening  Smirk

As Hati mentioned above, there is the MotoScan (and similar) scan tools out there that work with your Android phone.

Over the years I have worked with BMW riders that have tried to use the  MotoScan (or similar) to diagnose   newer BMW (can bus era) motorcycle problems. 

While there are certain functions that the MotoScan can do it seems that  giving you credible (accurate) failure codes doesn't seem to be one of the functions.

Trying to use MotoScan failure codes & data has been a problem  when trying to help other rider diagnose system malfunctions (like brake system or fueling control). In most cases the MotoScan does return a code, problem is it doesn't always return a usable, or return the correct, failure code.

I have been sent a lot of MotoScan codes that just don't match up to the stated problem or failure. An incorrect code, or non registered code REALLY adds to  the confusion & frustration when trying to diagnose a complex BMW motorcycle. 

If you want accurate info & correct failure codes then just bite the bullet & buy a GS-911. 

Wow. The gs111 is not a cheap thing! I foolishly thought a generic odb would be good. I will give it a miss - If I get in a mess it's going to be a pay someone job.

I found the owners manual last night! It was in a bag of maps I got in the tank bag!! I had downloaded a 2006 one - but it's code references are different (there isn't a red triangle by itself one for 06).

Sun's up now - so out for a test ride in an hour or so.

Thanks for the help.

One other question...

As the last owner hardly rode it & "very" slowly when he did. Has anyone a recommendation on a fuel addative as an injection / system cleaner.

I've used the "profi" stuff before on carbed engines with good results.... but never one with a cat or injection.

8 minutes ago, Smirk said:

One other question...

As the last owner hardly rode it & "very" slowly when he did. Has anyone a recommendation on a fuel addative as an injection / system cleaner.

I've used the "profi" stuff before on carbed engines with good results.... but never one with a cat or injection.

Morning Smirk

About anything with a strong content of Techron.  ---   Techron plus is about as good as any. 

The BMW recommended, & sold by BMW dealer  is just re-branded Techron. 

Well I'm confused. Stripped cleaned checked & adjusted both brake switches. Went out riding - red triangle before I'd gone 20 yards. No brake light on... no servo running... every thing working fine. Stop / restart = all good.

It was right after playing with brakes. 

Suppose next step is ride with only using rear or front. I'm guessing there may be an itermittant wiring fault or break? Any ideas how it generates the switch fault? Is it time it sees brake on vs speed or time? And lastly do the faults latch the warning even though they have gone.

Apologies for all the questions.