IGNORED

Subscription required for optional features!

RogerC60

The world is moving to SAAS as fast as it can....but I can't imagine the motorcycle will take kindly to paying a fee to use cruise control or other features.  Many of those features is why I bought a BMW vs a Yamahammer.  If the automakers do it on cars and they all follow suit, well it is what it is.  I sure hope not.  Hmmm gives me a business idea.  With a little clever coding, it should be able to be disabled after activation....I guess I should start learning about their OS 7.  GM has software coded to limit your speed to 90 or 95 depending on the vehicle.  With speed limits here at 85 in many places sometimes hitting 90 and feeling the limiter kick in was..key word was.....annoying.  

• Like 1

I don't have any idea whether BMW is currently encrypting their CAN bus payloads, but if they're going to a subscription model for optional equipment I'll bet they start. Otherwise, hackers' delight!

John Ranalletta

Bmw floated the subscription scheme for Carplay and backed off when the auto press and customers raised a stink.  The more the Germans raise prices and push subscription services, the more likely we'll see the Koreans and Japanese loading up their offerings without.

So I can pay for heated wheel and seat in winter, and cancel for summer?

What about a/c and steering, also options?

2 hours ago, Hosstage said:

So I can pay for heated wheel and seat in winter, and cancel for summer?

What about a/c and steering, also options?

You board name is appropriate for this thread. Based on the OP's link anyone who buys a new BMW car will be a hostage of sorts. 

Screw that.

Bill_Walker

I think Tesla kinda started this with charging extra for software features that were already supported by the hardware.  But even they don't charge a recurring subscription fee.

John Ranalletta
28 minutes ago, Bill_Walker said:

I think Tesla kinda started this with charging extra for software features that were already supported by the hardware.  But even they don't charge a recurring subscription fee.

But their licenses are attached to the owner, not the vehicle.  Premium services are turned off when a vehicle changes ownership.

Bill_Walker
17 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

Premium services are turned off when a vehicle changes ownership.

I think they tried that briefly and there was such an uproar in response that they abandoned it.

My wife and I both purchased new cars last year.  My Honda Passport has an app for my phone.  Most of the features in the app and the Honda equivalent of OnStar are paid for features.  The same goes for my Wife's Volvo with the exception that some of her app features stay for the life of the car and the app is much better than the Honda.

FCA has done this for a while.  They want me to pay for some the voice activated stuff on my Dodge Ram.  They wanted about 500 dollars to turn on the GPS, and want additional funds to updated it.  Finally, they also wanted an additional subscription to use many of the APP features after a free trial.