IGNORED

Michelin Road 5 tire pressure

Texavid

2016 R1200RT, new Pilot 5s.  Rider weights 200lbs, with luggage.  Highway riding from Texas to Wyoming and back, 2000ish miles.   Ride to the top of Pike's Peak on return trip.  Dealer pressure set at 38F/38R. Felt really weird.   I normally use recommended 36F/42R.  Previous Pilot 4s swapped out at 10,000 miles with plenty of tread to go 12,000 miles, but I didn't want to wear them out on this ride.  What pressures do you guys use on long rides at highway (+) speeds?  Thanks!

I am pretty happy with 36 ( had 38 but thinking I am liking 36 better )  front 42 Rear but I only have about 600 miles so far 

Sailorlite

Can't go wrong following BMW's recommendation:  36F/42R.   Very odd and a little disturbing that any dealer would set at 38/38.  

Texavid....36/42 regardless of conditions. That’s pre-ride setting. Pressure will rise during ride as any tire will. In summer mine will climb to 38/44 ish, but I leave them as is

• 8 months later...
On 7/4/2020 at 4:10 PM, Texavid said:

2016 R1200RT, new Pilot 5s.  Rider weights 200lbs, with luggage.  Highway riding from Texas to Wyoming and back, 2000ish miles.   Ride to the top of Pike's Peak on return trip.  Dealer pressure set at 38F/38R. Felt really weird.

Hey - This is an older thread..  When you said that it "felt really weird" - what did you feel, can you describe that?

I am gather info.  I just had a set of Pilot 5's put on my '04 R1150RT (close enough in geometry and weight to your bike).  Riding home from the dealer (50 miles on highway), I felt a "squirmy" whenever I accelerated from 75 to 55 MPH (no I won't post my real speed) which can increase the contact patch on the front wheel.  In the past I saw this to rectified by increasing tire pressure, which I will try.

I run 38-40 front and 40-42 rear on two sets now of Road 5s. Unlike previous Pilot Roads the 5s wear very evenly for me. I’m not sure it’s the tires or the higher pressures. On previous gens of PRs I ran the suggested low to mid 30s and had lumpy scalloped feathering wear patterns. So much so I switched brands to Bridgestone.