IGNORED

New to forum with a new bike

Fabreezai

New to forums, just got a 1997 r1100r. Its been sitting for the last four or so years covered in the back of a barn. Had fuel in tank so needless to say, whole fuel system needs to be gone through. Oh where to start.......  🤷‍♂️

Don’t know, but good luck! I can welcome you to the forum though and tell ya to hang-tight, some direction will be coming soon I bet. :thumbsup:

Hello Fabreezai, Welcome on Board.

The R1100R is a great bike... Congratulations.

Being a new guy- please excuse the following list- if you have had had other bikes and are already an old-pro...

You ask where to start... you are on the correct track but I suggest you keep it simple at the beginning.

- Just remove as much of the old fuel as you can (without getting nuts about it)... maybe just siphon out what you can and if some remains, no big deal. Put in some fresh premium fuel and you will be good. There is a fuel Cock- be sure it will turn-Open and Close. 

Obviously check the other basics: battery (fluid level- connections clean etc), oil (look OK, clear/clean, no funky odor etc- if any doubt go ahead and drain/refresh- note if you cannot start the engine you can turn it over some to get the oil moving), New oil filter-?  brakes (function smoothly)- (pads and rotors clean etc), look over the brake lines- (connections at both ends, leaks, cracks?), final drive/transmission oil, tires, etc.

Check all the lights for function. If it has side and top cases remove them- check the locks/clamps for function.

Make sure the Muffler does not have obstruction on the exhaust end- in storage "critters" may have nested...

Sounds like fun- enjoy the process and the ride...

and... Check out the "Oil Head" section of this forum to find friends/fellow-travelers/and expert assistance on this year-series of your new jewel.

10 hours ago, Fabreezai said:

New to forums, just got a 1997 r1100r. Its been sitting for the last four or so years covered in the back of a barn. Had fuel in tank so needless to say, whole fuel system needs to be gone through. Oh where to start.......  🤷‍♂️

Great bike, welcome.

Post your questions to the Oilheads section.  I would replace all fluids; motor oil, gear oil, brake fluid.  Lots of other items to check or replace.

Check the tires for cracks and weather-checking, check the date code. 6 years or older is usually replacement time. It is a 4 digit code stamped in the sidewall, first two numbers are the week, second two the year of manufacture.

Thanks guys for the replies! I will continue this post in the “oilheads” section, cause boy do I have questions. 😊