IGNORED

Arizona Al

Twisties

szurszewski

Sad indeed. Thanks for posting. I was wondering, just a few days ago as I put in my ear plugs before an early morning ride, how he was doing. :(

.  His "fitting" for me at Torrey in 2008 [ or 2009?]  was an enjoyable experience.  A genuine good guy.  And I still use his earbuds every ride

Thanks for posting this, Jan. I visited Al February of '19 and we did the usual chicken fried steak lunch we always enjoyed when I was passing through Mesa. To say that he'll be missed is an epic understatement.

PhillyFlash

I'm sad to let you all know that Al Schibi has passed away.  Al had ALS for several years.  He was a long time member of the bmwrt/bmwst community, and will be sorely missed.  I'll let others take it from here.  RIP, my friend.

23 hours ago, Tank said:

Sad news yet not unexpected... RIP brother

It was for me:P  

Sorry to learn of his passing.  
Cancer?

Ride & Fly in peace. 

Al Schibi was a great friend, and my roommate in Cabin #8 in Torrey for nearly a decade.  Motorcyclist.  Vietnam Veteran.  Helicopter pilot.  Husband.  Father and grandfather.  He loved his family and he absolutely loved his country.   Between Viet Nam and his work flying Medivac choppers, who knows how many lives he personally saved and how many hundreds, if not thousands he also had a hand in saving.    We talked a great deal and we laughed so much.  We chatted over the non-stop playing of Fox News (Al's favorite) on the TV.  I watched him fit dozens and dozens and dozens of people with his earplugs over the years, and watched the delight on their faces when he plugged them into his phone so they could hear music that way.

When he told me he had been diagnosed with A.L.S., I was heartbroken.  But he was always in good cheer when we spoke.  He knew where he was headed and he accepted it with the courage you would expect from someone who'd lived the life he had.

RIP, my friend.  May the roads be to your liking and the sun to your back.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

So sorry to hear this.  He was a great person.  I need to go to the store and drink a couple Silver Bullets in his honor.  He will be missed by a bunch of his friend's here.

Two of our lost friends

DSC01727.JPG

• Like 10

I have difficulty figuring out this website but I want to say that I am saddened by the new of Az Al passing.  He was truly a good person and I really appreciate his friendship over the years.  Safe travels Al...

Johnlt

11 hours ago, EffBee said:

Al Schibi was a great friend, and my roommate in Cabin #8 in Torrey for nearly a decade.  Motorcyclist.  Vietnam Veteran.  Helicopter pilot.  Husband.  Father and grandfather.  He loved his family and he absolutely loved his country.   Between Viet Nam and his work flying Medivac choppers, who knows how many lives he personally saved and how many hundreds, if not thousands he also had a hand in saving.    We talked a great deal and we laughed so much.  We chatted over the non-stop playing of Fox News (Al's favorite) on the TV.  I watched him fit dozens and dozens and dozens of people with his earplugs over the years, and watched the delight on their faces when he plugged them into his phone so they could hear music that way.

When he told me he had been diagnosed with A.L.S., I was heartbroken.  But he was always in good cheer when we spoke.  He knew where he was headed and he accepted it with the courage you would expect from someone who'd lived the life he had.

RIP, my friend.  May the roads be to your liking and the sun to your back.

Al liked to ride fast.  When Signman died, Al and I agreed to go to the funeral together.  He showed up at my house a 10 a.m.  "What time did you leave Al?  4 a.m.?"  "No, around 6"   He had gotten to my house in a bit over 4 hours.  For those who aren't familiar, it normally takes 6 hours.  I asked him about his ability to move about Arizona with impunity.   He said a rookie once pulled him over.  The rookie was angry and wanted to throw the book at Al.  The training cop merely said, "That's Al.  He flies the chopper that may save your life.  We don't give Al tickets.  We want him to move fast."

Of course, Al made me multiple pairs of ear plugs.  I prefer them as they are comfortable and keep the wind out.

I, of course, enjoy Angela's company.  She was the perfect partner for Al.  Instead of trying to rein him in, she was often flogging him to be naughtier.  That's a good partner.

I got out some old videos in which I was certain I had images of Al. Al had caught up to a group of us at Cody.  You put my camera on your bike and recorded me in that incredible place.  The only footage was of me and then Kathy (Paperbutt)

Rip Al.  I knew you weren't doing well when the daily emails stopped.  I had called you.  You didn't ask me to stop, but said that it was hard on you when your friends called.  That it was a not so gentle reminder about what you were losing.  I didn't call again. 

• Like 11

One recollection I have of riding with Al was on our way to the Salida UnRally.  He was coming up from AZ and I was coming over from CA.  We'd decided to meet in Torrey, UT, have lunch, and then ride UT95 down and across, ending up in Montrose, CO (staying at a friend's motel, which years ago is how I found this wonderful little town I've retired to).  The next day, we were going to jump over Monarch Pass and roll into Salida.

So Al comes up through Kanab, UT and up UT89, headed for UT12 which would take him to Torrey.  I'd come up I-15 out of SoCal and through Vegas, then cut through Zion NP to also grab UT89 to UT12.  We were both on our FRS radios through our Autocom units, "hunting" for each other.  Nothing.  We didn't know how close we actually were, but I was about 10 minutes behind him, out of FRS range.

For those of you who know the full length of UT12, there's a section that runs through the Grand Escalante Staircase.  As green as the rest of that road is, here it is windblown and barren.  Almost pure sandstone.  Tight, twisty, and eternally rising from one canyon and falling back into another.  As we rode, the serpentine road and elevator terrain closed the physical gap between us to within the FRS's range.  We'd verbally search, but we'd only get a word or two in before one or the other of us would dive down again into the Escalante terrain.  We knew we were close, but we couldn't connect.  Finally, I crested a rise only to hear a repetitive, "Would you phuqing stop!"  It was Al, somewhere ahead, tired of our popcorn machine attempts at synchronizing, and wanting to establish where each of us was.  

I stopped.  We spoke, and figured out that we were about 10 minutes apart.  But with Torrey just 40 minutes ahead, we decided to stick to the plan and meet there.

Lunch was a quick sandwich at the Chuckwagon's deli, then off we went out to Hanksville, before turning south on UT95 toward Blanding and entry into Colorado just east of Monticello.

Staying with Al on wide-open UT95 wasn't bad.  With his Uni-Go trailer (where he stowed all of his earplug-making supplies) attached to his K1200, he was good for about a ton, well short of the K12's capabilities and within my 1100RT's max.  And then only briefly.  Most of the time we were good citizens.  Well, maybe not exactly "good" but apparently off the devil's radar.  However, once we got into CO, turned at Dove Creek and began riding the twisty roads leading past Telluride and toward Ridgway, he hustled that bike and trailer at a very impressive rate.  I was able to stay with him, but not without a pretty constant stream of "Damn(s)" flowing through my brain and sometimes escaping my lips.  Without that trailer holding him back, I would have been exhaust dust.

The next morning we left for Salida, and he let me lead, patiently waiting until we cleared Gunnison before he jumped me and carved up Monarch Pass like no bike/trailer combo ever has.  I caught up to him at our final destination, and asked him why he'd ignored the scenery and beauty of the Rockies in going so fast.  I'll never forget what he said.  "There's a billion trees in this world.  But only one road like that road."

And that was Al.

• Like 15
On 7/1/2020 at 7:26 AM, Stir said:

Al liked to ride fast.  .. .. .. 

RIP Al.   I remember him from a few Beemer Bashes and Torrey.  He showed up with the mono-trailer and I asked him if it affected his ride at all.  He said, "well, it vibrates a little around 80, but smooths right out once you pass 90-95. . ."

I got two sets of ear plugs from him over the years.  What a nice guy....  

I didn't quite remember meeting Al until Doug's picture jogged my memory of us talking out in Salida. From the brief conversation we had, I remember thinking that there's a wild side to this man that he's keeping secret! :) 

I had the honor of chasing Al home from Torrey to his place one year. Before we left he told me that if we got pulled over he would do the talking.  He made multiple plugs for me, one pair while I soaked my feet in his pool during a very hot day. He was very kind to me imparting sage advice that was appreciated. I can still hear his RS winding out South of Hanksville, Unigo trailer in tow.

RIP Al.

• Like 2

This is sad to hear.  It was not all that long ago that I wondered why I hadn't seen anything from Al on the Board for a while.  Al made me a number of sets of plugs over the years, and I always enjoyed talking to him, wherever the Board's events were held.  I never rode with him, which was probably a good thing, as he would have left me in the dust in short order.  Rest In Peace, Al.  

• Like 1

Al left Gunnison right before me with a German woman on the back headed to the Black Canyon. There was no way I would have ever been able to keep. When I spoke to him later about it he just laughed!

RIP

• Like 1

Just saw this.  May 2018 was the last time I spoke with Al, as he preferred to talk rather than type.  Fernando captured everything, so there is not much more than I can add.  We did discuss his health and his resolve to fight.  Looking back at that call in retrospect I am fairly certain we said goodbye.  I haven't even let my wife touch my ears, but Al had his way with me back in Gunnison at The Unrally.  What a good man.   A giver, not a taker.

Godspeed.

• Like 3

A good man.

Hard to keep up with, on 2 wheels, pulling a trailer, and in life.

Beth still uses the ear buds he made for her.

Ride in Peace.

• Like 1
Centurion2058

I'd only heard about Al last year on another forum.  As I can tell from these testimonies, my life is poorer that I never had the pleasure.  Rest easy.

• Like 1
Havasu Dave

Sorry to hear Al has passed. First guy to come up and shake my hand years ago at my first DVD. And take me to the 

Coffee Cup with Angie on the way home. Vaya con dios.

• Like 1

This news saddens me. Al was one of the the first BMWST persons I met on my first real MC ride to a Fall Torrey. I was so excited to get those custom molded earplugs made for myself. Literally within the first hour of arriving in Torrey, Al had my custom plugs made and had me go get my Helmet so he could modify the foam in the ear area so the plugs would not interfere. That might have bee Fall Torrey 2009 and through the years of Torrey events and DVDs... Al was a staple. Always there making people happy with his earplugs. I never rode with Al nor saw him ride but I heard stories and I knew he was quite the rider. He viewed a MC Youtube video I did that had some drone footage and contacted me via the phone asking all sorts of questions and we soon became drone buddies who both took and passed the FAA Certification. Licensed to fly drones commercially. He talked me into stopping by my local airport and purchasing real FAA flight charts and I was looking forward to him being able to coach me up on how to better understand them. After all, he was an ex- Military and Civilian Helicopter pilot. I recall the day the phone rang... it was Al... excited to talk drone stuff only to hear him say his MC days were probable over because he had ALS. It's one of those days where you remember exactly where you were when a terrible event enters your brain. I didn't know what to say or do. After hanging up I was literally numb. I wish and pray for Al to be in a greater place now and to have more joy than he ever thought possible.

One last story (from me) About how cool of a guy Al was.

It was his last Death Valley Days ride and his son from Scottsdale Az had rode with him to the event. My wife Carla had a set of new plugs made that first night and most the group heads across from the Exchange Hotel to eat at one of three locations. Well, that night Carla and I went for the famous chili dog at the Happy Burrow and in comes Al and his son and we had a nice group at the table. Al's son told this story about his dad and crashing in a Helicopter that blew my mind. I'm just going to state what I remember.

Helicopter going down and there was a forged metal lever (kinda like an emergency brake pull up lever) that I believe needed to be activated to get the chopper to auto rotate in event of failure but it was stuck.

Chopper crashes into a forest of trees and as it's falling it flips upside down and branches of the tree stop the helicopter from hitting the ground.

Crews were there quickly and the story has it that there is Al, upside down in a chopper trying to get unbelted. Holding a lever that he sheared of in his hand (nobody knows how he was strong enough to snap off a forged lever ) and as the crew is trying to get Al out of the chopper, He is asking if anyone down there on the ground has seen his nice Cross Pen and Pencil that slipped out of his shirt. Now that's one cool dude.

Sorry if I didn't do the story justice but that is how I recall the story from Al's son. It was a GREAT night there in DV and will forever remember the experience.

If there was going to be a memorial ride for Al, it would need to include Panamint Valley road as I recall him saying it was probably his favorite stretch of road. Maybe the next DVD we ride for Al.

Our sincere condolences to Angie and his son and to all that knew him.

-Dennis & Carla

• Like 4
John Bentall

I remember reading the favorable posts about Al's earplugs and passed his contact details to Autocom Tom at the time. I believe the two made contact when Tom visited the USA.

RIP both.

• 3 weeks later...

RIP Al. I enjoyed Al's sense of humour though not his taste in beer, but I'll find a Coors Light and toast him anyway.

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

RIP Al -  Like many here,  I had Al make me a few sets of earplugs that I still use to this day. The Red Lodge Unrally in 2016 was the last time I got to visit with Al- he tuned up my earplugs while treating to a few of his interesting stories.....Gonna miss him.

• Like 1

It's been a bit since I've checked in here.

I should have when I heard this sad news.

GodSpeed, AL..you are one of the good ones.

I have many memories of gabbing with you after rides and chillin' with a cold one.

Prayers for the family....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Yeeha Stephen

TOR Rallies are gonna be a lonely place with out Al.

Miss Vicki and I looked forward to our annual Paonia visit with him.

We sucked down A LOT of Silver Bullets.

SS

IMG_1099 (1280x1229).jpg

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...