IGNORED

Good thing it wasn't a big deer,....

Rougarou

On my way home from work, back roads, 72ish mph, 3-4' tall deer comes right out, no reaction time.  GSA shutters but rides right through.  Rearview sees deer lying in the road.

Since 2010, I've shouldered two birds, slide down in ice twice, and hit one deer.

knocked it out of the way or rolled over it? Where did you hit it - front, center, rear, etc? Much bike damage?

25 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

knocked it out of the way or rolled over it? Where did you hit it - front, center, rear, etc? Much bike damage?

It was knocked out the way, damn near a head on hit......definitely a front wheel hit, no damage I could tell, I didn't stop until I got home, about 35 miles later.

7 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Unlucky and lucky all in one, glad you’re ok! :thumbsup:

yep, thanks

Glad it was a small one. 

I'm in SoCal but part of my commute is through the Santa Monica mountains. 
This past month I’ve seen two coyotes & one deer crossing the roads on my AM commute. 

One morning last year (05:00)  I flagged down the Sheriff in front of me asking if he had seen a rather large carcass (deer or coyote) in the road opposite side of our direction (he had not).  That afternoon on the way home I saw that is was a deer (pulled off onto the shoulder). 

I see deer several times a week.  Rural central NC for half my commute.  Before this, the closest I'd come was about 3-4' away, deer would have t-boned me.  Fall and winter, with the darker commute make it more interesting.

The only place that you should be able to see a deer is at the zoo.

Deer kill something like 200 people a year. If alligators did that, there would be no alligators. If bears killed 200 people a year, there would be no bears.

• Like 1

I hit one on Veterans Day.  Initially I thought I was unscathed, although I was a wild ride post hit.  I caught him near his center line and I was hard on the brakes down to about 40 mph.  He flew forward and landed.  I released the brakes right before hitting him again and the bike and I launched into the air.  I came down a bit of kilter but stayed loose on the controls.  The bike swerved hard left and settled still upright.   I decided to turn around and make sure the carcas was off the road.   When I approached the impact site it looked like a plastic bomb had gone off.   There were parts of my bikes front end everywhere.    When I came to a stop the coolant and fuel began spewing out of the bike.   It took 5 months to get the bike repaired and the insurance company twice threatened to just total it.   But I am back on it and it is even better than new.    

• Like 4

Golly!   

On the ride up, Randy and I were in Andy's neigborhood (Suwanee) to meet up with him and a deer ran across the street into a yard.  This was daylight (8:45, or so) and 25 mph speed limit.  I do not recall how far the woods are from that area, but the manucured lawns with all that landscaping vegetation make for a safe zone, so to speak.

Rougarou, really glad you are safe. Those things are darn pests.  I was told a while ago there are more deer killed by cars in Philadelphia than some other states during hunting season. 

Holy shit Dave, that looked to be a little more than close! :eek: Luck wins again! :yes: I've got a million dollar idea, the f...ers need to be wearing tennis shoes for traction so they can get out of our way! I don't know who's gonna size all of them just yet but....any investors out there? :rofl:

How you feeling this morn, Richard? :dontknow:

• Haha 1
13 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

How you feeling this morn, Richard? :dontknow:

Just like her:18: 

My route to work is different than my route home, so, this afternoon, I'll see if'n turkey vultures are feasting.

• Like 2

No video, but Sunday, on my way home from Georgia, I'm clipping along at 60mph on a 2 lane road and catch a glimpse of a deer along the side of the road.  Hard on the brakes, I'm down to 30mph when the deer starts running alongside the road in the same direction I'm going.  Harder on the brakes, when it finally turns away and into the woods instead of into me.  Guess a lot of us are lucky!  jb

• Like 3

I remember in Pennsylvania, the deer were monsters by comparison to those found in NC. But that could be just my part of NC. The ones closer to the mountains might be bigger than here in the Piedmont.