IGNORED

1,000,000 mile warranty!!

BeemerBerg

Just got this email ad from my friends at Ventura BMW: 

unbelievable! I called them—not a typo—one MILLION miles warranty on the engine, tranny, REAR DRIVE, DRIVE SHAFT. On their USED  bike inventory!! Now if it only included the fuel strip. 

1,000,000 MILE WARRANTY

With times a little tougher due to the current economic climate we decided to offer our customers something we never have before , a 1,000,000 mile warranty.

Starting July 1st BMW Motorcycles of Ventura County will provide a 1,000,000 Mile Limited Powertrain Protection with every used bike sold.

This warranty focuses on the powertrain for some of the most expensive components to repair.

Engine
Transmission
Primary drive

image.png

20 minutes ago, BeemerBerg said:

Just got this email ad from my friends at Ventura BMW: 

unbelievable! I called them—not a typo—one MILLION miles warranty on the engine, tranny, REAR DRIVE, DRIVE SHAFT. On their USED  bike inventory!! Now if it only included the fuel strip. 

1,000,000 MILE WARRANTY

With times a little tougher due to the current economic climate we decided to offer our customers something we never have before , a 1,000,000 mile warranty.

Starting July 1st BMW Motorcycles of Ventura County will provide a 1,000,000 Mile Limited Powertrain Protection with every used bike sold.

This warranty focuses on the powertrain for some of the most expensive components to repair.

Engine
Transmission
Primary drive

image.png

Probably not a deal that will cost them a lot. This is a dealer warranty not a BMW warranty  so like most dealers it will have new owners & a different name sometime in the future. At 20,000 miles a year that is 50 years (any bets on that dealer having the same name & same owners in 10 years, or 20 years, let alone 50 years?).  

My guess is that it only covers the current buyer (who keeps a late model BMW electronic wonder that long?)

Plus there are probably service requirements to be met, possibly yearly service requirements (from them).

Even if they have to eat an engine repair or driveshaft replacement there might be a basic service requirement  that  they need to make the electronics whole first before than can troubleshoot the engine.  

I'm guessing there are lot of disclaimers &  loop holes in that warranty offer.   

And getting you in the dealership for that service requirement finds things you need to spend $$$ on. 

There's a Harley dealer that does this, and it actually boils down to getting an insurance policy for your bike for specific components at the time of purchase.  As others have said, its generally not transferable and you have to meet some conditions that are generally illegal under the actual warranty laws in this country.  If you do want to make a claim, you're going to have to wade through some bureaucratic layers to actually get a payout, and you'll probably have to deal with negotiating the amount with the policy provider.  Gimmicky, and not really that helpful.