IGNORED

Need service help 1200rt and common problems?

WOLF KOFI

Hi there....humble greetings....

Looking for common problems and service schedule for 1200rt.... 

If I can get a digital manual that would help too..... 

3 hours ago, WOLF KOFI said:

Hi there....humble greetings....

Looking for common problems and service schedule for 1200rt.... 

If I can get a digital manual that would help too..... 

Morning  WOLF KOFI

Common problems on the BMW 1200RT vary by model  year & engine type, BIG difference between a 2005 hexhead & a 2015 wethead.

What year are you working with? 

DR....I KNOW IT IS ASKING ALOT SIR....but can you go by the few pics the dealer has sent me to tell the year of the 1200rt please...?

Here in Kenya the attention to detail is not yet developed and I'm only one man... 

Screenshot_20200625-194326_WhatsApp.jpg

IMG-20200625-WA0041.jpg

IMG-20200625-WA0040.jpg

IMG-20200625-WA0039.jpg

IMG-20200625-WA0038.jpg

IMG-20200625-WA0037.jpg

IMG-20200625-WA0034.jpg

DR....I KNOW IT IS ASKING ALOT SIR....but can you go by the few pics the dealer has sent me to tell the year of the 1200rt please...?

Here in Kenya the attention to detail is not yet developed and I'm only one man...

Morning  WOLF KOFI

If that was a U.S. motorcycle it would be easy to tell the year (close anyhow), but BMW played some games with motorcycles sent to some countries so I don't know what was imported into your country & sold as what, or even if that motorcycle was a direct import or private citizen import.

It is a K-26 so that would be a hexhead, it looks to be a late K-26 so that would be a late hexhead (probably a 2008 or 2009) at least in U.S. comparison. 

But keep in mind that a K-26 hexhead could have been imported & sold as something else/some other year in your country.

The tag says 2010 (if that is even the model year or possibly something else)-- possibly the hexhead was still selling as a current model in your country  into 2010. 

If that motorcycle is in fact a late hexhead (2008-2009) then that was the best years for the K-26 series.  

Hi DR..... attached is the official registration info from the Kenyan registration system called NTSA....

can you please tell from the vin number or info the exact year...so I can look up

1. service parts and spare parts correctly....

2. You can let me know common problems for the right year?

Humble respects

Screenshot_20200626-161532_Word.jpg

9 hours ago, WOLF KOFI said:

IMG-20200625-WA0039.jpg

The number on the emissions sticker at the bottom left is not very clear but I think it says "MY 2008."

The same sticker on my 2006 RT says "MY 2006." 

image.png

image.png

2008 RT service.pdf

6 minutes ago, lkraus said:

The number on the emissions sticker at the bottom left is not very clear but I think it says "MY 2008."

The same sticker on my 2006 RT says "MY 2006." 

image.png

image.png

2008 RT service.pdf 90.75 kB · 0 downloads

Yes sir it says 2008 for sure.... so I'm dealing with 2008...?

Humble respects for catching that.... appreciate it alot...

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the help so far.... sorry for the delay in response....please review this video to see it here is any noise that I may need to check out before purchasing....

The Rocketman

There were several recalls (maybe 3 or 4) for R1200RTs. I had all mine done on my '09 and can't remember all of them, but I would find out if the rear wheel flange recall was completed on that bike as that was one of the most important ones with respect to your safety. Not sure if that was just a US NHTSA recall, but since that is a US bike, perhaps it was.

In the affected motorcycles, the rear wheel mounting flange may crack if the rear wheel mounting bolts are over tightened. BMW will notify owners, and dealers will replace the existing aluminum rear wheel flange with a steel one, free of charge. The recall began on May 7, 2015.