IGNORED

Setting a Nav 6 to come out of the bike's speakers

Jackstraw

Just taken delivery of a 2017 RT, 500 miles and very impressed so far

Now for the pairing of devices

I have the onboard audio, a Nav 6 and a Sena 20s and an iPhone 8

I would like to listen to the Nav 6 through the bike's speakers and use the Sena to talk with my wife (who also has a Sena 20s)

I don't listen to music and do not make/receive phone calls when riding

Is it possible to set the Nav 6 to come out of the bike audio?

I've had a quick look at the manuals and they seem more concerned about playing music 

Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated

That should be the default operation of the bike.  You do need to have the radio on though.  Since I don't listen to music, I set my input on the radio to AUX.  And I have nothing connected to the cubby.  So all I hear is the GPS.

• Like 1

Great, that all sounds very simple.

Going on a cross country run to the chip shop at Dungeness tonight, if the Nav doesn't work there is a risk I'm going hungry!

Thanks for your post, much appreciated

With a route set on the GPS, you should hear spoken guidance, as noted by 92merc.

But I want to suggest an alternative for you.  Pair your Sena to the motorcycle using “media pairing.  Then set your Sena to prioritize intercom, but allow media to play at the same time.  You can stay connected to your wife via intercom, and the GPS instructions will be audible at low volume if you are talking, or louder if you have been quiet for awhile.  This should be easier to hear when riding at speed than the bike speakers, and won’t blast annoyingly when you are stopped at a traffic light in town.  Just a thought.

Cap

• Like 1
On 6/23/2020 at 9:46 AM, Jackstraw said:

Great, that all sounds very simple.

Going on a cross country run to the chip shop at Dungeness tonight, if the Nav doesn't work there is a risk I'm going hungry!

Thanks for your post, much appreciated

What he said !!   THAT is exactly what I do and works like a champ!   I only use the sound when in a city or congested area to make sure I don't miss a turn.  But when I do I run it just like Jackstraw noted. 

On 6/24/2020 at 2:22 AM, Cap said:

With a route set on the GPS, you should hear spoken guidance, as noted by 92merc.

But I want to suggest an alternative for you.  Pair your Sena to the motorcycle using “media pairing.  Then set your Sena to prioritize intercom, but allow media to play at the same time.  You can stay connected to your wife via intercom, and the GPS instructions will be audible at low volume if you are talking, or louder if you have been quiet for awhile.  This should be easier to hear when riding at speed than the bike speakers, and won’t blast annoyingly when you are stopped at a traffic light in town.  Just a thought.

Cap

Thanks Cap

It did work perfectly first time (which is unusual in my experience of trying to pair bluetooth accessories) but will give your suggestion a go.  It did 'bing-bing' at me a couple of times, I was getting a quick overtake in and was probably 5mph  over the limit, would this be the reason. Read through the online manual when I got back but couldn't spot a reference

2 hours ago, Jackstraw said:

...will give your suggestion a go. ...

OK, the next step is the most confusing, in my opinion.  Open the Sena app on your phone, while it is paired with your intercom... or plug your Sena into a computer and use the Sena configuration app.  Then, select HD audio OFF.  Doing that enables audio multitasking, which is the feature that allows you to have simultaneous intercom and media.  And then, somewhere in that configuration app, there is a setting for priority of input.  I think you want priority for intercom, but given your use pattern, you might want the reverse.

As an aside, I have used Sena intercoms for at least the last 10 years, through several generations.  And they work fine while I am riding by myself and want to listen to music or hear alerts from my GPS.  But they are suboptimal when it comes to their primary advertised function, rider-to-rider communications.  My riding group has this inevitable session in a hotel room in which we all sit around pressing buttons and staring at each other while wearing our helmets.  It is painful.  And then, we discover that 1-to-1 comms work most of the time, but bluetooth-group intercom is horrible.  And if some members are using 10-series, and others 20-series, etc., then there are surprise malfunctions.  

My "tribe" gave up and switched to Cardo.  So far, so good.  And the voice command interface works pretty well.

Yes Jackstraw, the Nav6 will alert if you exceed the speed limit. You may also get traffic alerts, School zone alerts and you may also get alert from the bike computer, like TBS issues. Like low air pressure in the tires, etc.

As for intercom use, I can recommend the Mesh 2 system from the 50S unit.

Also keep in mind, that if you increase the volume on the bike radio too high, it may distort or garble the sound. If that is the case, reduce the volume on the GPS or onboard radio and increase the volume on the Sena 50S/20S unit.