IGNORED

Hall effect sensor

Ian m

My 1997 R1100RT was running fine until April 2020 approximately 4 miles then suddenly cut out, this has happened a few times and noticed when it reached 5 bar it would die, tried starting it but would misfire. Left it for half an hour would start when cold,  I've replaced the HES  the coil, HT leads and spark plugs also fuel filter, can hear fuel pump working  take it for a run still cuts out after 5 bar. Mechanic tested oil switch,side stand switch, he heated matronic box then started the bike. Tested the injectors left the bike idling then 3 bar cuts out, when cold it starts up      puzzled

Could someone think of something that's missed please

I bought this RT 3 years ago with only 40,000 miles after it been left outside for over 3 years without running. Now has a few thousand added on since then.

Many thanks

1 hour ago, Ian m said:

My 1997 R1100RT was running fine until April 2020 approximately 4 miles then suddenly cut out, this has happened a few times and noticed when it reached 5 bar it would die, tried starting it but would misfire. Left it for half an hour would start when cold,  I've replaced the HES  the coil, HT leads and spark plugs also fuel filter, can hear fuel pump working  take it for a run still cuts out after 5 bar. Mechanic tested oil switch,side stand switch, he heated matronic box then started the bike. Tested the injectors left the bike idling then 3 bar cuts out, when cold it starts up      puzzled

Could someone think of something that's missed please

I bought this RT 3 years ago with only 40,000 miles after it been left outside for over 3 years without running. Now has a few thousand added on since then.

Many thanks

Morning Ian

Can you give us a little more detail on what happens when it stalls & won't re-start?

Can you remember what the tachometer was doing  just as the engine stalled at 5 bars?

Can you remember what the tachometer was doing during the re-start cranking?  (This could be a big help in finding your problem).

You have covered the majors so you are the at point that you will probably need check for fuel return hose flow right AFTER the hot engine stall & also test for spark right after the hot engine stall.

Sometimes the tachometer function right-at-at-stall  or during re-cranking can also tell us a lot about what is going on.

Added:  You could have something as simple as a fuse opening up when it gets hot, to the fuel pump plastic impeller slipping on the motor shaft  when it gets hot, to a Motronic temperature related problem, to a small split in a high pressure fuel hose inside the fuel tank (usually the U shaped hose) when the fuel gets hot, to a wire connector/terminal temperature/resistance issue, to a temperature related TPS problem, to an o2 sensor shorting problem, to ????????

Do you get any whooshing type sound when you open the fuel filler cap after a long ride?

Hi dirtrider

Thanks for your help and giving me info on my problem. Started my bike today on the road for approx 3 miles when it stalled just died nothing showing up on the tachometer no fluctuations. Opened fuel filler cap no whooshing noise left bike returned an hour later started first time. Tomorrow dismantle bike remove tank and check  u shape hose and connection inside  and gauze. Thanks again 

6 minutes ago, Ian m said:

Hi dirtrider

Thanks for your help and giving me info on my problem. Started my bike today on the road for approx 3 miles when it stalled just died nothing showing up on the tachometer no fluctuations. Opened fuel filler cap no whooshing noise left bike returned an hour later started first time. Tomorrow dismantle bike remove tank and check  u shape hose and connection inside  and gauze. Thanks again 

Evening Ian

You don't have a Techlusion (aftermarket fuel controller) on that bike do you? If so those can sometimes cause similar problems. 

Hi Ian,

I had a 96 r1100r with this same mysterious --starts fine, runs for a few miles, then dies and wont start until it cools and time passes. It seemed to happen more the day after a rain storm. It went on over a period of months.

IT IS THE HALL EFFECT SENSOR OR THE WIRES  ATTACHED TO IT!

GOOD LUCK

Spoiler

JOHN

Spoiler

19 minutes ago, John M. said:

Hi Ian,

I had a 96 r1100r with this same mysterious --starts fine, runs for a few miles, then dies and wont start until it cools and time passes. It seemed to happen more the day after a rain storm. It went on over a period of months.

IT IS THE HALL EFFECT SENSOR OR THE WIRES  ATTACHED TO IT!

GOOD LUCK

Reveal hidden contents

JOHN

Reveal hidden contents

Afternoon John 

Are you saying Lan has 2 bad HES sensors? According to his first post Lan replaced the HES sensor & it still had the same problem.  

Hi,

Good question. I can only say that after experiencing this intermittent problem more than 8 times, i  replaced my HES and it was fine for 18 months; then it started to happen all over again. I replaced it once more and the problem  hasn't happened again...yet, that is. (The bike has been out of commission for 2 years and i moved  to an s1000xr)

Hi DR 

Last week I removed the fuel tank and checked the u pipe on the end of the pump,all seems fine. The bike does not have a Techlution on it.

Could I remove the connector for the side stand switch temporarily, go for a few miles to check out. Would this cause any damage to the bike?

Thank you.

Hi John m,

Yes I have just replaced the Hall Effect Sensor with a brand new one. Intermittent fault is hard to diagnose !

Thanks for your help