IGNORED

Tire Plugs

Deltamark

Hello all,

Just purchased and installed a new Metzeler Z6 Roadtek rear tire on my 2013 R1200RT. Took her out for a ride and immediately picked up a drywall screw and got a flat. :facepalm:  I put in a tire plug and wondered if it is safe to ride on or should I retire this tire with two whole miles on it?

Also, while taking a close look at the tire, I noticed it is made in China. When did that happen?

8 minutes ago, Deltamark said:

Hello all,

Just purchased and installed a new Metzeler Z6 Roadtek rear tire on my 2013 R1200RT. Took her out for a ride and immediately picked up a drywall screw and got a flat. :facepalm:  I put in a tire plug and wondered if it is safe to ride on or should I retire this tire with two whole miles on it?

Also, while taking a close look at the tire, I noticed it is made in China. When did that happen?

Afternoon Deltamark

It depends on who you listen to, tire company will say to limit top speed, dealer will say not to repair, most of us long time riders just plug the tire & ride to end of tire life.

It also depends on type of plug used (some plugs are better than others), also depends on  if hole in tire did not cut a cord or damage the tire, etc 

• Like 1
Joe Coastie

I had the same thing happen last summer on a Z6 rear.

I used to work in a tire shop where plugs were a no no.

I patched it on the inside like we did car tires.

Have not had a problem, the only thing I did different was to remove the balance beads and use stick-on weights.

I'm not saying that's what to do, just what I did.

The tire is to the point of now needing replacement.

The choice is yours.

Deltamark....I had the same thing happen on a Michelin a few years back.  I wrote to Michelin, told them what happen to my brand new tire, and asked for assistance.  They sent me a check for the price of a new tire and installation.  You might give it a try.

Bill_Walker

I've ridden hundreds of miles on a plugged tire a few times without incident, but have generally replaced the tire after getting home from the trip where the hole was incurred.  My life is riding on those tires, and it's worth more than the price of a tire.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the good input, everyone! I'm thinking that I'll ride on it a while until it comes time for a trip, then replace it.

If you read the fine print, the tire plugs generally found at auto parts stores are "for temporary use only". Yes, I know that many use them as permanent repairs but I prefer a plug like the ones Nealey has in their kit which are considered a permanent patch. I've seen the inside of a tire with the Nealey patch and after the tire is driven for a while, the patch actually "cures" to a small mushroom patch inside the tire.

This  fixed this when all others failed. I would have been confident burning up this tire if it were new but being more than half worn, it was time.

1D25D07E-AB46-45B0-80CA-EDBAD56B8AAF.jpeg

Bill_Walker
On 6/19/2020 at 5:44 AM, Dave_in_TX said:

Yes, I know that many use them as permanent repairs but I prefer a plug like the ones Nealey has in their kit which are considered a permanent patch.

Yeah, Nealey has all the other "sticky rope" patch systems beat.

I'm a true believer in Nealey.  I even did a DIY write up that featured Nealey: 

I sliced an ATV tire 30 miles into the back country.  It took 4 Nealey ropes to seal the tire.  I rode with it for several hundred miles without problem.

• Like 1