IGNORED

Brake Failure message 2013 R1200RT

lather

I am a 50 year rider and have owned many bikes but never a BMW I am looking to purchase a 2013 R1200 RT for sale on consignment  for 7500, has only 26,000 miles. I test rode the bike yesterday. On start up  a red "Brake Failure" message and the yellow ASC symbol display but no yellow abs symbol. The red massage goes out and the ASC symbol remains. I road tested front and rear brake and they seem fine. However I doubt I braked hard enough to trigger the abs. From reading the manual I think that tere is most likely a failed abs module. I have read about failures of the speed sensors and problems with the cable but if these were the case I believe the abs light would come on and stay on.. I would appreciate any comments or info on this issue. Unfortunately the local BMW shop went out of business and there the closest dealer is 110 miles away. Thanks 

20200616_125001.jpg

20200616_125014.jpg

The blinking red light until you’re underway is normal. Your abs is being tested by the bike’s computer. The asc light I don’t know enough about it to advise. 
That is a good price. Any service records available?

Looking at my manual for a 16 R1200RS it indicates that the ASC (Automatic Stability Control) can be turned off by pressing and holding the ABS/ASC button on the left switch gear. Maybe this has been done? If you have the owner's manual look through it, my information is on pages 15, 66, 91, and 104. 

I checked my ‘17 RT manual and it says when ASC is deactivated the light stays on. I would re check the options on the bike. 

Not knowing what's going on without running a scan I would cycle the ASC switch off and on. Ride it turned off and then turn it back on. See if that helps. Then I would try disconnecting the positive terminal on the battery for a while and then reconnect it and see what you have. If the fault persists then you need to plug in a diagnostic tool to read the faults and carry out some tests. Honestly you really need to use a diagnostic tool to get a handle on things. One more thing to add. Since BMW has had issues with the switch blocks I recommend to check with a dealer to see if you have the latest switchblock installed per their campaign or so called recall. This is a high percentage probability if you have the older switchblocks still on the bike. They are prone to failure for various functions. My failure was the cruise control on/off switch. Others had the windshields control switch. Some had the starter switch. 

Ask any dealer over the phone to check for you. They only need you VIN to check the history. Good luck.

Thanks for the replies. I will ask about service records and either I or the shop owner will call BMW with the VIN. As for the ASC that is not my concerns. I agree with what someone said about turning off the ASC. My worry is the red "Brake Failure" message and the lack of an ABS light ever coming on. On my Ducati, when I start the engine the ABS and the DTC (Ducati's version of ASC) come on and blink but go off after getting under way.

My worry is that this bike has a bad abs module.  Thanks again.

bruce2000ltc

I have a '13RT and there is no ABS light only a red "Brake Failure" light.  On start up the "Brake Failure" light flashes to indicate a self test then goes off after the bike is underway.  If the "Brake Failure" light goes off the ABS test was good and ABS is active.  The foot brake pedal only activates the rear brake so it's easy to test the ABS module by trying to stop with only using the rear brake -- it trips the ABS pretty quick without the front brakes.

Thanks for that info. I suspect the Owners  Manual I downloaded my not be the correct one for the machine I am looking at as its hows the same yellow abs symbol that I have on my Ducati. I plan to go do another test ride and try to trigger the ABS with the back brake.

RTManualABSWarningCapture.JPG

bruce2000ltc
14 hours ago, 6speedTi said:

From my 2012 RT manual. 2013 should be identical. 

20200619_182133.jpg

20200619_182052.jpg

Some countries require a specific symbol for ABS warning.  This manual appears to be European or Canadian.  The speedo is in km and the Ice warning is in Celsius. Hear is a photo of my US spec '13RT manual.

IMG_1326.JPG

Yes the unit I am looking at shows the same as the in the photo with  red "Brake Failure" instead of the yellow ABS symbol. I downloaded the US spec manual and studied it before taking another test ride today, better prepared. I was able to turn the Automatic Stability Control back on. The Brake Failure message and the ASC symbol both disappeared as soon as I got going. Also the tire pressure readings and seat and grip heater statuses. I made a deal to buy the RT for 7300 and will pick it up Tuesday. I will post pictures when I get it home.

• Like 1
MontanaMark

Lather,

Sounds like you got it all sorted out.  Congrats on your purchase. 

I bought my 2013 RT last August and have enjoyed it immensely.  Yes, the dash lights on start up are a little disconcerting at first, but you get used to it.  I come from riding a 1999 R1100RT (same model -14yrs) and the difference is astonishing.  You will love the power, handling and (for me) the ride modes.  

Best of luck,

Mark