IGNORED

The Climb to Borah Borah

John Ranalletta

John Ranalletta

Bugged out of Indy for a couple of days of riding in the Driftless.  Finished day 1 with a visit to Borah Borah, Mike and Victoria's gorgeous lookout estate.  Great time meeting Victoria for the first time and getting acquainted with Briggs, the 110 lb sweetheart pup.  The climb to Borah Borah has a couple of interesting turns.  Almost lost it on the first being in the wrong gear.  Enjoy!  Thanks, Mike.

https://youtu.be/slnf9Yn2ovs

• Like 7

So glad you and Ruth were able to visit, even if for a short while! Thanks for making the  trip to Borah Borah.

Bill_Walker
4 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

The climb to Borah Borah has a couple of interesting turns

It's a little hard to tell in the video: is the road paved or dirt?

John Ranalletta
28 minutes ago, Bill_Walker said:

It's a little hard to tell in the video: is the road paved or dirt?

Yes.  Paved except for last 1/4 mile or so.

8 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

Yes.  Paved except for last 1/4 mile or so.

Gravel dust is the bane of our existence. I just spoke (again) to one of our township supervisors yesterday, and paving the gravel section remains a priority, but there’s just not enough money to do it.  They are redoing the paved section that includes the switchbacks this year, hopefully. 

It was was great seeing John and Ruth. While we postponed the big hoo-hah that was supposed to take place last week, we hope others will jump on your motorcycles and visit us.

• Like 2
On 6/15/2020 at 6:44 PM, John Ranalletta said:

Finished day 1 with a visit to Borah Borah

Didja grab that room at Captain's Cove that I forgot to cancel?!!

11 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Mike, how’s Alex bonding with his new Triumph?:java:

He’s a fan. Not as fast as the KTM, but he likes the comprehensive equipment and the shaft drive. 

• Like 1
John Ranalletta
19 hours ago, Mike said:

He’s a fan. Not as fast as the KTM, but he likes the comprehensive equipment and the shaft drive. 

oops....

John Ranalletta
20 hours ago, Jake said:

Didja grab that room at Captain's Cove that I forgot to cancel?!!

Wish we had stayed there instead of the Microtel in town.  Rice paper walls.  Skimpy breakfast fare; and, the crew coating the parking lot also coated Ruth's X3.  When I inquired how they were going to fix that, I was advised to talk to my insurance company.  A heated discussion ensued and they will submit to their insurance co.

• Sad 1
Joe Frickin' Friday
On 6/15/2020 at 11:23 PM, John Ranalletta said:

Forgot to give credit to Mitch @Joe Frickin' Friday who I believe created  the route we rode today.

image.png.b38512f1412e02e123894311679a5573.png

Don't remember crafting that particular route - but I'll certainly add it to the mix for next June's Driftin' event.  If you got it through Mike, I'm guessing he got it from these guys.

John Ranalletta
1 hour ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Don't remember crafting that particular route - but I'll certainly add it to the mix for next June's Driftin' event.  If you got it through Mike, I'm guessing he got it from these guys.

It was the Wisconsin Triangle Route.  Pretty good route except every third or fourth waypoint, the Nav 5 would have a brain fart and direct me to make a U-turn.  Re-initializing the route and choosing the next waypoint solved the problem.

I found that one really doesn't need routes.  Just head north from Borah Borah (PdC) and choose letter roads at random.  We did that Tuesday.  Took the west bank road to LaCrosse.  Once east of LaCrosse, just picked roads at random.

image.thumb.png.9de9016853eb4d4eca5d1c065db4d6d4.png

Funny, I was just north of that area near Alma, Wi., doing the exact same thing, just taking random lettered roads. Found some incredible roads and views.

5 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

It was the Wisconsin Triangle Route.  Pretty good route except every third or fourth waypoint, the Nav 5 would have a brain fart and direct me to make a U-turn.  Re-initializing the route and choosing the next waypoint solved the problem.

I found that one really doesn't need routes.  Just head north from Borah Borah (PdC) and choose letter roads at random.  We did that Tuesday.  Took the west bank road to LaCrosse.  Once east of LaCrosse, just picked roads at random.

image.thumb.png.9de9016853eb4d4eca5d1c065db4d6d4.png

We actually drove that same route in the ol' Jeep a few days ago. The River Road to La Crosse (Hwy 35) was under construction. Victoria remarked that it would be a nice motorcycle route.

Your routing strategy is pretty much what I do around these parts. Unless I have a specific destination in mind and I'm on a schedule, I just take random roads that look like they might be interesting. There's some great riding in the area, and it pretty much always works out. Once I'm at about 25% of my personal endurance limit, I enter the address for Borah Borah and let the GPS lady tell me what to do in order to get back.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

We actually drove that same route in the ol' Jeep a few days ago. The River Road to La Crosse (Hwy 35) was under construction. Victoria remarked that it would be a nice motorcycle route.

We ride down 35 often, and go to Davenport (antique motorcycle swap meet and races) almost every year on a motorcycle trip, and we love it when 35 is closed and we have to detour thru the hills. We have a great time on those roads.

I'm planning a ride next Saturday with some friends to go run the hills again.

I was watching the driftless thread earlier, and was really thinking about a day ride down unannounced, introduce myself to everyone there, and then leave so you could enjoy your ride without some loud ass Harley bothering you guys.