IGNORED

New BMW owner here

Monte Sloan Jr

Monte Sloan Jr

Hi out there,

68 years old and had all kinds of bikes, just sold my Victory Cross Country Tour and bought a 2016 R1200RT. I've had the gamut of bikes and this is my first BMW. I got the BMW because its 300 lbs. lighter than the Victory and a lot more sportier, kinda like the Ducati's I had. 

Someone told me that BMW stood for bring more wallet, I just laughed, I am not laughing now. 

Good grief these parts and aftermarket accessories are pricey. Probably as high as Harley. 

I'm still figuring out the bike and how it works, it is unbelievable engineering. Some times I think over done. 

Anyhow, I need a owners manual for this bike, were can I get one or download one ?

Also I need a iPhone lightning adapter plug needed for my  phone. Damn this cable is $100, that's crazy. Will a older style cable, 32 pin work with a lightning adaptor plug on it ? :classic_wacko:

I am semi retired and live in northern California, usually I ride alone with my girl friend.

Hi and Thanks

Monte aka NorCal 1200 

• Like 1

You're probably best a Clymer or Haynes manual for maintenance.  They show the how-to's.  The actual bike manual that explains how things operate may be on line?

Welcome Monte and congrats on your "new to you" RT.   I suspect like a lot of us folks here you will love the bike and become just another Beemer guy too. 

I have a hard copy of my Owners Manual for my 2016 RT in a 3 ring binder.  If you don't find one I am happy to copy it and send it along.

You'll find one of the beauties of BMW ownership is the great on-line support both here and  on a couple other sites. 

Enjoy! 

Ed 

Welcome Monte! You saved the best for last!

Here's a link to .pdf files of the owners manual and radio manuals.

Motorhead1977

Welcome Monte. Like you I moved to the R1200 RT though I traded from a '09 GL1800. The RT is about 350 lbs lighter and great for the roads we ride most of the time. There are things the GL1800 had that I miss (like a longer than 2 hours comfortable stock seat) but as far as riding goes I only miss the Winger those few times when we're on the interstate highways. It was indeed the ultimate super slab tool. I did quickly learn that if there's a more difficult or expensive way to do something, BMW will find it. LOL  Enjoy your RT. 👍

Hello Monte. I think you will find you made a great choice. Expensive? Yes but anything worth having or taking care of usually is. Enjoy, but remember...if you short shift a BMW they retaliate in strange ways. Rev it😜

Welcome to the club Monte.   Enjoy your stay.   There is plenty of knowledge to be shared on this forum, which comes to you pretty inexpensively.  Post a photo of your new ride when you get a chance.

Cheers,

Hi and welcome to the Bring More Wallet club and to this group.  The nice thing about the RT especially the Wethead and Shiftcam iterations is that it is a swiss army knife of motorcycles and competent for so many riding styles, power to spare and sharp handling. You done good even if you have to allocate more dough to the farkle/parts fund.

You can download owner's manuals from the mother ship's website. it is best if you have the exact model nomenclature from the frame, but not absolutely necessary.

https://www.bmw-motorrad.com/en/service/manuals/rider-manual.html

I bought the worlds most expensive dongle and well for my iPod and....never use it.  I converted my iTunes library to MP3 (BMW's system does not read apples M4a (AAC/Mp4). put it on a 128MB USB stick and it works well.  To assist navigation I broke my Library into alphabetical folders A-Z with a few added folders where the number of artists were too numerous, (ie T and The folders).   A lot of folks use a wireless com system and link to that and the bike, but it can be a little tricky to set up right.

Welcome to the board. I use a USB stick for music. But you could also just connect your phone direct to your Bluetooth Headset.

Check out the RKA luggage website, Richard has a bunch of videos on how to make your iPhone connect with a Bluetooth headset, without that cable.

Welcome....I had a 32 adapter on that cord and it never really worked well.  I bit the bullet and bought this unit in June 2018.  It works.  BMW 61-12-2-408-012 Adapter (Music/Media :619046)  The only thing I've noticed different from the original 32 pin BMW branded unit for an older Iphone is the charging rate.  I turn on Pandora the minute I start the bike and it stays on the whole time.  Mine is an Iphone 7.  After a full days ride the Iphone with this adapter will only have 75-80% charge.  Yesterday I rode from 0900 until about 1600.  When I got home the phone was on 79%.  You can see that it is charging, but just not enough.  My old Iphone (4 I think) and the 32 pin always stayed at 100%.  I don't know if it is the adapter or the Iphone, but it is plenty good for a full day.  I bought the unit on Amazon.  When I bought it according to my history it was $56....looks like now it's $86.  Might be able to source elsewhere.  If you want the 32 pin adapter let me know.  If I can find it I will mail it to you, but as above it never really worked for me.  

Monte, welcome!  I don't have an iPhone.  I use a Samsung S7.  I also have a Sena bluetooth headset.  I put my music on a USB stick to play through the bikes system.  The headset is paired to the bike for music and the turn by turn GPS instructions.  The headset is also paired to my phone for calls.  There is a variety of ways to set this up and various items you can "invest" in.

Enjoy your RT!!

Monte Sloan Jr

Wow, thank you all for your replies, insights and help. Very glad to have all the outreach of knowledge if I need support or help. 

Thank you all again

:19:

• Like 1
Monte Sloan Jr
On 6/13/2020 at 8:13 PM, Monte Sloan Jr said:

Hi out there,

68 years old and had all kinds of bikes, just sold my Victory Cross Country Tour and bought a 2016 R1200RT. I've had the gamut of bikes and this is my first BMW. I got the BMW because its 300 lbs. lighter than the Victory and a lot more sportier, kinda like the Ducati's I had. 

Someone told me that BMW stood for bring more wallet, I just laughed, I am not laughing now. 

Good grief these parts and aftermarket accessories are pricey. Probably as high as Harley. 

I'm still figuring out the bike and how it works, it is unbelievable engineering. Some times I think over done. 

Anyhow, I need a owners manual for this bike, were can I get one or download one ?

Also I need a iPhone lightning adapter plug needed for my  phone. Damn this cable is $100, that's crazy. Will a older style cable, 32 pin work with a lightning adaptor plug on it ? :classic_wacko:

I am semi retired and live in northern California, usually I ride alone with my girl friend.

Hi and Thanks

Monte aka NorCal 1200 

On 6/14/2020 at 9:21 AM, Skywagon said:

Welcome....I had a 32 adapter on that cord and it never really worked well.  I bit the bullet and bought this unit in June 2018.  It works.  BMW 61-12-2-408-012 Adapter (Music/Media :619046)  The only thing I've noticed different from the original 32 pin BMW branded unit for an older Iphone is the charging rate.  I turn on Pandora the minute I start the bike and it stays on the whole time.  Mine is an Iphone 7.  After a full days ride the Iphone with this adapter will only have 75-80% charge.  Yesterday I rode from 0900 until about 1600.  When I got home the phone was on 79%.  You can see that it is charging, but just not enough.  My old Iphone (4 I think) and the 32 pin always stayed at 100%.  I don't know if it is the adapter or the Iphone, but it is plenty good for a full day.  I bought the unit on Amazon.  When I bought it according to my history it was $56....looks like now it's $86.  Might be able to source elsewhere.  If you want the 32 pin adapter let me know.  If I can find it I will mail it to you, but as above it never really worked for me.  

Sure , please send me the 32 pin adapter, ill try it. 

Monte Sloan Jr.

4 indigo Drive, unit 205

Petaluma, CA

Thank you.

Monte Sloan Jr
On 6/13/2020 at 9:34 PM, Red said:

You're probably best a Clymer or Haynes manual for maintenance.  They show the how-to's.  The actual bike manual that explains how things operate may be on line?

Yep, I ordered one they are good to have .

Monte Sloan Jr
On 6/13/2020 at 10:41 PM, RTinNC said:

Welcome Monte and congrats on your "new to you" RT.   I suspect like a lot of us folks here you will love the bike and become just another Beemer guy too. 

I have a hard copy of my Owners Manual for my 2016 RT in a 3 ring binder.  If you don't find one I am happy to copy it and send it along.

You'll find one of the beauties of BMW ownership is the great on-line support both here and  on a couple other sites. 

Enjoy! 

Ed 

Thanks Ed, I have it in PDF and am going to Staples and have it printed. I was thinking of the 3 ring binder also.

Monte Sloan Jr
On 6/14/2020 at 12:37 AM, Indy Dave said:

Welcome Monte! You saved the best for last!

Here's a link to .pdf files of the owners manual and radio manuals.

Thanks got it.

• Like 1
Monte Sloan Jr
On 6/14/2020 at 6:31 AM, Paul De said:

Hi and welcome to the Bring More Wallet club and to this group.  The nice thing about the RT especially the Wethead and Shiftcam iterations is that it is a swiss army knife of motorcycles and competent for so many riding styles, power to spare and sharp handling. You done good even if you have to allocate more dough to the farkle/parts fund.

You can download owner's manuals from the mother ship's website. it is best if you have the exact model nomenclature from the frame, but not absolutely necessary.

https://www.bmw-motorrad.com/en/service/manuals/rider-manual.html

I bought the worlds most expensive dongle and well for my iPod and....never use it.  I converted my iTunes library to MP3 (BMW's system does not read apples M4a (AAC/Mp4). put it on a 128MB USB stick and it works well.  To assist navigation I broke my Library into alphabetical folders A-Z with a few added folders where the number of artists were too numerous, (ie T and The folders).   A lot of folks use a wireless com system and link to that and the bike, but it can be a little tricky to set up right.

Yep, the farkleing has started. 

• Like 1