IGNORED

Not getting fuel

MikeL

My 2002 1150RT with 18k miles has been sitting for a couple years. I need to get riding again. I’m enough of a mechanic to fix minor problems and make real issues worse. 
I’ve got spark but no fuel when cranking. I’ve read lotsa previous posts and believe I have a bad fuel pump. I hear it run for 1-2 seconds at key on but am getting no fuel out of the return line when cranking. No fuel to the injectors either. Anything else I can do to verify before ordering new fuel pump?

I’m guessing ethanol gas may have caused the problem. (Actually I caused the problem by putting in ethanol gas in the first place) I drained the tank and the stuff that came out barely smelled like gas. 
Now that I’m writing this I’m thinking it’s not the fuel pump I’m hearing at key on. The fuel pump fuse was blown and I was still hearing a 1-2 second buzz At key on. Hmmm? (Did I just hear a collective groan?) I better go pull the new fuse and listen again. Is there something else that runs briefly at key on? ABS?

Mike

10 minutes ago, MikeL said:

My 2002 1150RT with 18k miles has been sitting for a couple years. I need to get riding again. I’m enough of a mechanic to fix minor problems and make real issues worse. 
I’ve got spark but no fuel when cranking. I’ve read lotsa previous posts and believe I have a bad fuel pump. I hear it run for 1-2 seconds at key on but am getting no fuel out of the return line when cranking. No fuel to the injectors either. Anything else I can do to verify before ordering new fuel pump?

I’m guessing ethanol gas may have caused the problem. (Actually I caused the problem by putting in ethanol gas in the first place) I drained the tank and the stuff that came out barely smelled like gas. 
Now that I’m writing this I’m thinking it’s not the fuel pump I’m hearing at key on. The fuel pump fuse was blown and I was still hearing a 1-2 second buzz At key on. Hmmm? (Did I just hear a collective groan?) I better go pull the new fuse and listen again. Is there something else that runs briefly at key on? ABS?

Mike

Evening Mike

You might be hearing the brake servos coming on.

In any case, if the fuel smelled bad & you have no fuel from the return line then you really need to remove the fuel tank to see what is going on inside the tank. 

You could have seized up pump, or a split high pressure line, or everything corroded up, or????

No use in ordering a pump when you might need other things, like filter, intake strainer, hoses, might even need a new pump pass-through assembly. 

Open it up, look things over THEN determine what you need to make it right. 

Thanks for the quick response dirtrider. Yeah I was hearing the brake servo. Same sounds with fuel pump fuse removed. Also with my hand on the pump access cover I can feel a thump/ bump when key on. I’ll update when I get into it. 
Thanks again.