IGNORED

Headlight switch and High beam indicator

Hotmop

Of all the troubles an RT can throw at you, I finally got one that was an easy fix. Figured I'd post in case it helps the next guy.

This spring my high-beam indicator light was on all the time. I was only riding during the day and high beams didn't seem to work, the lights just dropped a lower spread, but didn't really change. Searching here there seems to be all kinds of fun with bad grounds, bad switches, and corroded plug terminals.

Turned out to be a bad solder job from the factory. The LH switch has never been apart in 20+ years. I can't imagine how this hasn't caused a problem sooner. Just enough crud and wet I guess and now it finally closed the circuit. 

The yellow/white is the 12v supply to the switch. The white is the high-beam 'on' or 'flash', thus they are wired together. That little snot of solder reaching between them should not be there. 

And no longer is. 

Back on the road!

IMG_0961.thumb.jpeg.52264b350076934fa9585c94ecba9d58.jpeg

That should never have passed inspection. Now I'm going to be continually wondering what sorts of circuits might soon start shorting out on my '03 RT.

On 6/14/2020 at 4:00 AM, RogerC60 said:

That should never have passed inspection. Now I'm going to be continually wondering what sorts of circuits might soon start shorting out on my '03 RT.

??

This has survived somewhere around 20 years. I really think you have way more things to worry about than this.