IGNORED

New member Texinmaine

Texinmaine

So I just purchased my first BMW today. A 2007 R1200R. I had test drove a K75 in the past and a co worker ownes a R100. So I have been interested in getting a BMW for some time and found this bike at a  small atv and dirtbike dealer. took it for a 70 mile ride today and have a few questions. So firstly I noticed that when ever I let off the throttle the front really jerks downward like I shifted to a lower gear. I have mostly owned Yamaha's in the past and it has been several years since I have ridden but do not recall this much movement letting off the throttle. Secondly I am 6'4" and think I could stand a little more thickness in the seat and wondered what would be the best option for that? Does someone make a thicker seat? Or try just some sort of pad? I noticed that when I slide back to sit on the passenger seat it was more comfortable albeit a little awkward. I also noticed a small port on the left side that looked similar to a cigarette light but smaller, is this some sort of accessory port? Any way I think that is enough for now. But despite these concerns I had an absolute blast ridding today and look forward to many more miles on her. Oh by the way it had only 18,855 when I bought it.

Welcome to the club! :thumbsup: "Tex" in "Maine". My little brain tells me you're a Texan who now lives in Maine? :dontknow: :grin: Anyway, it's a little on the expensive side but a Russell day-long  saddle will take care of you seating issues. I would suggest that you make sure the bike is a keeper first.

The power port is for BMW's charger or heated gear. I believe you can buy an adaptor for a "battery tender" that will work on that bike.

@Texinmaine, welcome to the forum.  Feel free to look around; you will  find a LOT of info about your new bike, which did not happen unless there is a photo.  If you know what I mean.  You need to post one for Tewks to get it to the front page for all to see.  Just sayin'

My 1250 RT has a lot of engine braking characteristics as well as my R1200C.  It seems like a lot to get used to, but you will.

Cheers,

• Like 1

The "letting off" the throttle is native to the BMW... The "feature" is a natural reaction the bike has to coming off throttle. The easy cure is to keep going....

That tremendous engine braking power comes into play while you're downshifting into a curve. It's not hard to get the rear wheel to slide. Practice makes perfect.

Welcome Texinmaine!   Check out Sargent for Seat Options  https://www.sargentcycle.com/Seats-Accessories/Sargent-Seats-BMW-R1200R/

In addition to their standard R seat listed they are very good to deal with on custom options so they could modify their seat to your specs or if you send they your seat they will modify it to your liking.  They are really great to work with. 

Where in Maine are you?  I've spent frequent trips to Maine as I have good friends in Nobleboro and my wife and I got married in Maine. 

Welcome and enjoy the new to you bike! 

McDonalds? 🤣

No, seriously there are several places that make lobster rolls in Maine but by far the longest lines are at Reds in Wiscasset. I personally have never tried them because the line is ridicules but I assume that must mean they are good.

• Thanks 1
34 minutes ago, Texinmaine said:

McDonalds? 🤣

No, seriously there are several places that make lobster rolls in Maine but by far the longest lines are at Reds in Wiscasset. I personally have never tried them because the line is ridicules but I assume that must mean they are good.

Sort of like the long lines at a good BBQ joint in Central Texas.   Just sayin'

• Like 1
3 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Assignment, can you tell us where the best lobster roll is, please? :grin:

Last September after eating some so so rolls we decided to make our own...

4FAA2CF4-70A9-42D5-BA50-A51B621DC2F1.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
6 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

Sort of like the long lines at a good BBQ joint in Central Texas.   Just sayin'

Franklin's? Hell yeah that is good!

• Like 1

Thanks!  I will try them out the next time I am out that way.   I have sampled a few places in & around Pearland.

11 hours ago, Texinmaine said:

Thanks for that info. I live in Bath which is about an hour south of Nobolboro on Rt 1.

Heck been through Bath a ton of times!   And a buddy's dad was the production manager at BIW years back. 

Hoping to get up to Maine next month and will try and finally stop at The Cabin ... I have been told it's the best pizza in Maine! 

Once again Welcome!! 

I love to use engine braking in the twisties, i may not be the fastest but i believe it helps me be smooth.

If no one is behind me i seldom use my brakes, i have to remember when riding with a group to tap my brakes now and then as a heads up to the guy behind me.