IGNORED

6 speed RT feedback

Zara

Hi folks,

As i had mentioned a while back with the feedback of daleP and dirtrider  (thanks so much) I have been rebuilding a R1150rt I have my engine back together and soon enough (after i get a new clutch and clutch slave) it will begin to look like a bike and not bike parts on a pallet.  Any way I'll cut to the chase. I am building this bike from 2 rt's  one was a single spark (96) and the other  a duel spark (04). as the duel spark copped some damage so I am building this bike as a single spark (surging be dammed) , i'm just using the duel spark block. What i am now considering is that the duel spark has a 6 speed and i'm considering putting that in instead. Is there any difference in the housing sizes or anything like that would require frame alteration and am i likely to have any issue with the mototronic being flashed to a 5 speed build (i think i can get the duel spark mototronic still) I wouldn't think it would matter but what are your thoughts.

Thanks in advanced

You are courageous!   I wouldn’t think the 6-speed would have the same mounting points for rear subframe, etc as the 5-speed.   You apparently have them both to compare, I’d start there.   

At first glance It all appears to match up the same. As this bike was a donor bike for the previous owner I cant be sure if he took the 6 speed and put it to his bike place a 5 speed back in its place. Guess I'll soon see on its first ride if i scored a 6 speed or not

22 hours ago, Zara said:

Hi folks,

As i had mentioned a while back with the feedback of daleP and dirtrider  (thanks so much) I have been rebuilding a R1150rt I have my engine back together and soon enough (after i get a new clutch and clutch slave) it will begin to look like a bike and not bike parts on a pallet.  Any way I'll cut to the chase. I am building this bike from 2 rt's  one was a single spark (96) and the other  a duel spark (04). as the duel spark copped some damage so I am building this bike as a single spark (surging be dammed) , i'm just using the duel spark block. What i am now considering is that the duel spark has a 6 speed and i'm considering putting that in instead. Is there any difference in the housing sizes or anything like that would require frame alteration and am i likely to have any issue with the mototronic being flashed to a 5 speed build (i think i can get the duel spark mototronic still) I wouldn't think it would matter but what are your thoughts.

Thanks in advanced

Morning  Zara

We really need more info on what you are doing & what parts you are doing it with.

What year  frame & dash are you using? 

What year engine cases are you using?

What year pistons & cylinders are you using?

What year cylinder heads are you using?

What year fuel pump are you using? 

What year rear swing arm & final drive are you using. 

What year throttle bodies are you using?

What year clutch parts are you using?

What year drive shaft are you using?

What year main wire harness are you using?

What year ABS system are you using?

Some parts will work with each other & other parts won't!

Easiest way to tell the 6 speed from the 5 speed is the clutch actuation.   Cable on 5 speed and hydraulic on 6 speed.  

Sorry for the delay, When I'm not typing I'm working on that bike  :)

So turns out I was thinking of a different bike in regard to the year of production

but both bikes are hydraulic clutches with the same trans housings and no different in dimension externally. 

The first bike which i'm rebuilding using almost all of its own parts is a 06/02 (0002792GAK trans)

and the other is 10/04 (0004807JAK trans).

Are all hydraulic clutched oilheads 5 speeds though? or is it just rt's ?

I have a 96 R1200C  and I'm almost certain that's a 5 speed with hydraulic clutch

or is that different with those trans. assemblys  

in regard to the questions above :

What year  frame & dash are you using? 06/02

What year engine cases are you using? 10/04 lower end, 06/02 top end (single spark)

What year pistons & cylinders are you using? pistons 06/02

What year cylinder heads are you using? cylinders 10/04

What year fuel pump are you using? 06/02

What year rear swing arm & final drive are you using.  debatable at this point I have both drive trains intact to pick from but thinking of 10/04 (JAK) trans w/ 06/02  tailshaft/ rear swing arm & final dive assembly

What year throttle bodies are you using? 06/02

What year clutch parts are you using? 10/04 (unused clutch housing)

What year drive shaft are you using? probably the 06/02

What year main wire harness are you using? 06/02

What year ABS system are you using? 06/02

Also the mototronic I'm using is with the 06/02 firmware.

the 02 bike had been serviced and taken care of by a passionate beemer rider , the other one was in a fire and was worked on by a bit of a rough handed cowboy, for the most part im using the older stuff as I no its all been looked after.

13 hours ago, Zara said:

Sorry for the delay, When I'm not typing I'm working on that bike  :)

So turns out I was thinking of a different bike in regard to the year of production

but both bikes are hydraulic clutches with the same trans housings and no different in dimension externally. 

The first bike which i'm rebuilding using almost all of its own parts is a 06/02 (0002792GAK trans)

and the other is 10/04 (0004807JAK trans).

Are all hydraulic clutched oilheads 5 speeds though? or is it just rt's ?

I have a 96 R1200C  and I'm almost certain that's a 5 speed with hydraulic clutch

or is that different with those trans. assemblys  

in regard to the questions above :

What year  frame & dash are you using? 06/02

What year engine cases are you using? 10/04 lower end, 06/02 top end (single spark)

What year pistons & cylinders are you using? pistons 06/02

What year cylinder heads are you using? cylinders 10/04

What year fuel pump are you using? 06/02

What year rear swing arm & final drive are you using.  debatable at this point I have both drive trains intact to pick from but thinking of 10/04 (JAK) trans w/ 06/02  tailshaft/ rear swing arm & final dive assembly

What year throttle bodies are you using? 06/02

What year clutch parts are you using? 10/04 (unused clutch housing)

What year drive shaft are you using? probably the 06/02

What year main wire harness are you using? 06/02

What year ABS system are you using? 06/02

Also the mototronic I'm using is with the 06/02 firmware.

the 02 bike had been serviced and taken care of by a passionate beemer rider , the other one was in a fire and was worked on by a bit of a rough handed cowboy, for the most part im using the older stuff as I no its all been looked after.

Morning  Zara

Are all hydraulic clutched oilheads 5 speeds though? or is it just rt's ?---  The 1150RT all used a hydraulic clutch 6 speed not a 5 speed. 

• Like 2

Thank you, seems I was getting mixed up between the change in 2003 in the 6 speeds. I now have a lighter gear train and improved ratio. :)

4 minutes ago, Zara said:

Thank you, seems I was getting mixed up between the change in 2003 in the 6 speeds. I now have a lighter gear train and improved ratio. :)

The 1150 started in 2001 and had a 6 speed from launch.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Zara said:

Afternoon Zara

If you have the 2004 up (optional)  short 1ST & 6TH gear 6 speed transmission,  that is in good shape, then definitely go with that (unless you plan on a lot of over 100mph running). That is the transmission that BMW s-h-o-u-l-d installed in the earlier 1150 6 speed motorcycles.  

• Like 1

i had heard this first trannys were a bit on the clunky side. I have put the improved 2004 trans. in but it Seems I'm pulling the bike apart again compliments of a stubborn cam chain anyway  :(

11 minutes ago, bacos said:

the '04 had a different gearset than the earlier bikes?

Afternoon Bacos

Only if it has the optional short 1st & short 6th gear transmission  option.