IGNORED

ABS not engaging

Dave P

Hello all, been a while, glad to be back. 96 1100RT, 122k, has a 5+ year old AGM battery that has spent each winter inside on a tender. Today my ABS wouldn't arm itself. Usually if this happens I can let it run for a couple of minutes, shut it down, restart and it arms normally. Always starts easily. Today, with the ABS light flashing alternatively, I rode 30 miles, shut it off, restart, still no ABS. When I got home I put my charger directly on the battery, in 10 seconds it showed "fully charged" (?). Engine off I measured about 12.9v, at idle (cold idle) it was about 14v. At 5 years old my first guess is I just need a new battery, but should I test anything else first? Maybe I'll disconnect the battery connections tomorrow and clean everything up nice and bright (just now thought about this) see if I see any changes. Thanks in advance. Dave

James in OK

That's a good idea.  My solution several years ago was to do the mod to power the ABS unit from the alternator trigger wire.  It powers on the ABS after the alternator is spinning, not while the battery is having to crank the bike.  The mod fixed the problem for me.

14 minutes ago, James in OK said:

That's a good idea.  My solution several years ago was to do the mod to power the ABS unit from the alternator trigger wire.  It powers on the ABS after the alternator is spinning, not while the battery is having to crank the bike.  The mod fixed the problem for me.

James. I have heard of that mod. If you have the time would you post a step by step instruction. Thanks Phill. Ps. If you have pics, that would be a bonus. 

14 hours ago, Dave P said:

Hello all, been a while, glad to be back. 96 1100RT, 122k, has a 5+ year old AGM battery that has spent each winter inside on a tender. Today my ABS wouldn't arm itself. Usually if this happens I can let it run for a couple of minutes, shut it down, restart and it arms normally. Always starts easily. Today, with the ABS light flashing alternatively, I rode 30 miles, shut it off, restart, still no ABS. When I got home I put my charger directly on the battery, in 10 seconds it showed "fully charged" (?). Engine off I measured about 12.9v, at idle (cold idle) it was about 14v. At 5 years old my first guess is I just need a new battery, but should I test anything else first? Maybe I'll disconnect the battery connections tomorrow and clean everything up nice and bright (just now thought about this) see if I see any changes. Thanks in advance. Dave

Morning Dave

If your ABS will not work even with a fully charged battery & warm engine then it might have locked itself out.

To re-set the ABS__

First, find the diagnostic connector (located under the seat). 

Then, insert one end of a wire into the middle socket of that connector. 

Then, ground the other end of that wire to a (clean) metal part of frame or good ground area (make sure it stays grounded). 

Next, turn on ignition switch. You should now see the warning lights flash alternately.  

Next, hold ABS button down for a long 8 second count. The bottom ABS light should stay on, and the top light should be off. 

Then, release the ABS button. If you have successfully reset the ABS system then both ABS lights will come on. If you have failed to hold button for 8 seconds, or your ground is not good, then the top ABS light will probably stay off.

Check you messages on this site as I sent you a wire diagram on how to add that ABS relay powered by the alternator. (not a step-by-step but a wire diagram showing the wiring changes needed).

Personally I'm not a big fan of adding in that D+ (alternator) controlled relay as it adds load to the alternator excitation circuit &  negates some of the dash GEN light input to the voltage regulator. Not a big deal but does slow the alternator start-of-charge right after a cold start so prevents full alternator output right after cold start & adds to start-stall on a cold start, and/or increases rough running right after cold start. 

I usually just add a momentary push button switch in place of that relay so if/when you get an ABS malfunction after a cold start just simply push the button to  re-boot the ABS. (less complicated to wire in also as it just takes cutting the green 12v ABS power wire then adding in the switch to each side of the cut green wire). 

Dirt Rider- Thank you for your reply. I'll certainly do the ABS reset before I try anything else. The bike is 24 years old now and hasn't needed a modification to the system. I'd prefer to leave it alone and tend to other things. 

I'll do the reset and report back. Thank you!  Dave

Dirt Rider- I just tried the reset as you suggested, I tried 4 different ground points, the ABS lights kept flashing alternatively, no change. Center wire on the plug (brown with blue stripe). 

The ABS switch seems a bit "sticky" don't think I've ever touched it in the 7 years I've owned the bike. So no solution yet unless I did something wrong here. 

I should mention, I had the right side fairing off and the dashboard off the night before all of this, chasing a non working horn (which I solved), but I doubt it had anything to do with the abs.  Dave

26 minutes ago, Dave P said:

Dirt Rider- I just tried the reset as you suggested, I tried 4 different ground points, the ABS lights kept flashing alternatively, no change. Center wire on the plug (brown with blue stripe). 

The ABS switch seems a bit "sticky" don't think I've ever touched it in the 7 years I've owned the bike. So no solution yet unless I did something wrong here. 

I should mention, I had the right side fairing off and the dashboard off the night before all of this, chasing a non working horn (which I solved), but I doubt it had anything to do with the abs.  Dave

Afternoon Dave

Do the dash lights flash together when you turn the key on?

If so then when do they start flashing alternately? 

If_ it happens before you start the engine it is usually a system that is tested at first power-up.

If_ it faults when you start the engine it is usually a low battery voltage problem.

If_ it faults when you ride away it could be the ABS controller or possibly a wheel speed sensor.

Do you have an analog type voltmeter (voltmeter with a swinging needle)? If so then you can grab  ABS failure codes using the voltmeter needle swings.  (let me know)

Dirt- Currently the lights flash alternately as soon as I turn the key to on.

Tonight I was going to pull the battery (Ive got the left side fairing off), measure voltage, charge it with my charger set at 2 amps, measure voltage again, and clean up all the battery connections. Put it all back together and see what happens.

What resting battery voltage does this ABS system need to keep the bike happy?

Havent had a needle type VM in a while, but I'll get one if it helps me solve the problem! Dave

8 minutes ago, Dave P said:

Dirt- Currently the lights flash alternately as soon as I turn the key to on.

Tonight I was going to pull the battery (Ive got the left side fairing off), measure voltage, charge it with my charger set at 2 amps, measure voltage again, and clean up all the battery connections. Put it all back together and see what happens.

What resting battery voltage does this ABS system need to keep the bike happy?

Havent had a needle type VM in a while, but I'll get one if it helps me solve the problem! Dave

Evening Dave

Ok, your ABS is defaulting at first key-on.  

What is you battery voltage at key-on (not starting just key-on?) 

It usually takes voltage drooping to under 11 volts to cause an ABS lock out. 

Are you sure you got a good ABS re-set using the procedure I posted above?

James in OK
9 hours ago, dirtrider said:

I usually just add a momentary push button switch in place of that relay so if/when you get an ABS malfunction after a cold start just simply push the button to  re-boot the ABS. (less complicated to wire in also as it just takes cutting the green 12v ABS power wire then adding in the switch to each side of the cut green wire). 

I wish I had thought of that....Great solution!

Dirt- just metered it- key off, 12.88v , key on, 12.28v. Seems kinda low to me.

As far as the test, don't really know, nothing happened. I connected the alligator  to a bolt on the side of the starter, an engine bolt and the frame in 2 places for ground. Maybe I should bypass the ABS switch for the reset as it was sticky, didn't spring back to off, had to push it to off. D

8 minutes ago, Dave P said:

Dirt- just metered it- key off, 12.88v , key on, 12.28v. Seems kinda low to me.

As far as the test, don't really know, nothing happened. I connected the alligator  to a bolt on the side of the starter, an engine bolt and the frame in 2 places for ground. Maybe I should bypass the ABS switch for the reset as it was sticky, didn't spring back to off, had to push it to off. D

Evening Dave

12.28v shouldn't cause the ABS to default.

You need to be sure you are getting a good ABS reset, if it is locked out it needs to be reset. 

Dirt- i jumped the abs switch and got it to reset. Guess i need a new (or functional used) abs switch. Gonna button it up partially and take her out in the morning, see what I get 🙂Dave