IGNORED

New Clutch Judder

spacewrench

spacewrench

I recently got my R1100S back on the road after clutch spline / input shaft replacement.  I replaced both the input shaft and the whole clutch pack.

First few days, I had occasional rough clutch actuation -- I'm a pretty low-rev, short-shifting rider, so I wasn't really flogging it, but I'd get this vibrating feedback going during clutch engagement where it was really rough and nasty sounding.  I could rev through it and get a fairly smooth launch when it happened, but it was a bit worrisome.

Good news is, it's pretty much gone away.  Either the parts are getting bedded in, or I've learned to use the new clutch better, but I haven't had any more problems.

So, if you've never had a new clutch on your oilhead before, and you get one and it's wonky and juddery, just ride through it for a week or so.   There's a fair shot it'll get better, or at least you'll get used to it.  Your beloved bike probably isn't ruined.

You must have bought a clutch kit with the longer splines, that takes a while to “seat”. Mine took 1000 miles to calm down.  Oh no I’m wrong you replaced the input shaft too.  The longer splines would not affect that.  

In the good old days, when a clutch was replaced in a car or bike and had a jutter, we would put the front end against a stationary object and do a little "burn-in" on the clutch. This would bed the clutch to the flywheel and smoothe the action.