IGNORED

USS SD H-D Street Glide

tmuenster

It has been a long time since I checked in with the BMW riders but I wanted to share this motorcycle information.  I am a former BMW and Harley-Davidson rider, Iron Butt Association Member, and retired military member.  My home state of South Dakota was recently honored with a namesake vessel in the Navy's submarine fleet.  USS SOUTH DAKOTA (SSN 790) was commissioned on 2/2/2019 in Groton, CT.  Harley-Davidson Motor Company donated a 2018 Street Glide to mark the occasion.  The bike was painted by South Dakota artists Mickey Harris.  The right side commemorates the commissioning of SSN 790 and the left side honor the history of Battleship USS SOUTH DAKOTA (BB 57), which is one of the greatest vessels in Navy history.  The bike was customized by the sponsoring dealership, J&L Harley-Davidson of Sioux Falls, SD.  I was a member of the USS SD Commissioning Committee and it was a great honor to assist with the H-D Street Glide project.   

This motorcycle will be on permanent display at the Sturgis Motorcycle Museum and Motorcycle Hall of Fame.  The bike will be kept in running condition by Black Hills H-D of Rapid City.  Any Sailor assigned to USS SOUTH DAKOTA (SSN 790) can check the bike out of the museum and ride it anywhere in the State of South Dakota.  SSN 790 is the first unit in the US Military to have their own motorcycle.  Plankowners, or the first crew members of USS SOUTH DAKOTA, have lifetime rights to ride the bike.  If you see this bike on the road, then say hello to a submarine Sailor and thank them for their military service.  You are also welcome to stop by the Sturgis Motorcycle Museum and see the bike in person on your next trip to the Black Hills of South Dakota.   

187106 USS South Dakota Harley Davidson Cards_Page_2.jpg

187106 USS South Dakota Harley Davidson Cards_Page_1.jpg

IMG_7497.JPG

• Like 1