IGNORED

Shift cam fuel consumption

Aum

What gas mileage are folks getting on the shit cam engine? After 8500 miles on the R1250RS I'm amazed by the fuel economy. I consistently get 48 to 50 mpg. And on a day trip last week I got 58.5 mpg on a 207 mile leg leg from Linville, NC to Pittsboro, NC. And the RS's TFT said I still had 48 miles remaining. 

Mike

Don’t trust that 48 miles left crap. My ‘09RT ran out of gas four blocks from the exit (uphill of course) to gas station showing 47 miles remaining. 😳 

11 hours ago, Aum said:

What gas mileage are folks getting on the shit cam engine? After 8500 miles on the R1250RS I'm amazed by the fuel economy. I consistently get 48 to 50 mpg. And on a day trip last week I got 58.5 mpg on a 207 mile leg leg from Linville, NC to Pittsboro, NC. And the RS's TFT said I still had 48 miles remaining. 

Mike

Moring Mike

You need to complete your question by adding in travel speed. 

At 50-60 mph on back roads the mileage you are seeing is definitely in the ball park, I have seen riders get as high as 55+ mpg at those speeds.

Now on the freeway at 90+ mph it will  probably be down in the high 30 mpg range. 

Are you figuring ACTUAL miles traveled against amount of fuel added? Or going off the onboard computer as those don't always agree. 

I have an RT-P with a calibrated speedometer.   I rarely get below 40mpg.   On secondary roads (lower speeds) I often see 50 mpg.   2019 RT with 13,000 miles on it.  

You need to complete your question by adding in travel speed. 

At 50-60 mph on back roads the mileage you are seeing is definitely in the ball park, I have seen riders get as high as 55+ mpg at those speeds.

Now on the freeway at 90+ mph it will  probably be down in the high 30 mpg range. 
Are you figuring ACTUAL miles traveled against amount of fuel added? Or going off the onboard computer as those don't always agree. 

Travel speed and altitude are big factors. The 207 miles on 3.539 gallons of 10% ethanol gas breaks down to 75 miles on the BRP at mostly 55 mph and an altitude of 3000 to 4000 feet; 87 miles on interstate at 70 to 77 mph, at 750 to 1300 feet; and 45 miles on secondary roads at 55-65 mph (400 to 700 feet altitude). My fuel consumption is based on odometer miles and gallons delivered to the tank from the gas pump.

I haven't ridden the RS for long distances at 90 mph, but the high 30s sounds reasonable. I got 43-44 mpg on I95 at 80 mph returning from Florida in January. 

Mike

On 6/11/2020 at 1:23 PM, gordiet said:

I have a 2020 RS and the best l’ve got is 42 MPG. It all to do with right hand.

Yes, indeed! I get about the same riding it hard. I wish the RS's tank was a gallon bigger for a bit more range on long trips. I could consistently get 220 miles plus on my 2013 RT's 6.2 gallon tank.

• Like 1

As already mentioned, fuel consumption is going to depend greatly on how hard you ride it (altitude is another factor). My 2014 R1200GS actually got slightly over 60mph on three separate occasions. All three involved speeds that did not exceed 55mph and were frequently around 45mph. Thar same bike at 80mph on I10 in west Texas produced mph in the mid thirties on several different occasions.

According to BMW's fuel mileage data for the 1250, it does get better fuel mileage than the 1200 but it isn't a huge difference.

On 6/15/2020 at 8:32 AM, Dave_in_TX said:

As already mentioned, fuel consumption is going to depend greatly on how hard you ride it (altitude is another factor). My 2014 R1200GS actually got slightly over 60mph on three separate occasions. All three involved speeds that did not exceed 55mph and were frequently around 45mph. Thar same bike at 80mph on I10 in west Texas produced mph in the mid thirties on several different occasions.

According to BMW's fuel mileage data for the 1250, it does get better fuel mileage than the 1200 but it isn't a huge difference.

My 2013 RT averaged 45.3 mpg over the 71K miles I had it. So far my 2020 RS has averaged 48.6 mpg on the first 8700 miles.

5 hours ago, Aum said:

My 2013 RT averaged 45.3 mpg over the 71K miles I had it. So far my 2020 RS has averaged 48.6 mpg on the first 8700 miles.

I must be doing something wrong. My best with my 2020RS 38-42. Or maybe I’m doing something right!😂

Best I ever did on my 2016 R 1200 GSA was 65 mpg, kept it to 45 or less riding around Yellowstone. Several other times I got into the low 50's. Worst I ever did was 38 mpg on I-80 running 80+ from SLC to Winnemucca NV. Over 150,000 miles (550+ fillups) I averaged 46 mpg.

So far only 4800 miles (17 fillups) on a 2020 R 1250 GSA, it's gone between 39 and 51 mpg, average 45 mpg. 

I believe the GS/GSA have a higher FD ratio (= higher revs for a given road speed) than the R/RS/RT, so my mileage won't be quite as good as the OP's under the same conditions.

On 6/18/2020 at 10:19 PM, WBinDE said:

Best I ever did on my 2016 R 1200 GSA was 65 mpg, kept it to 45 or less riding around Yellowstone. Several other times I got into the low 50's. Worst I ever did was 38 mpg on I-80 running 80+ from SLC to Winnemucca NV. Over 150,000 miles (550+ fillups) I averaged 46 mpg.

So far only 4800 miles (17 fillups) on a 2020 R 1250 GSA, it's gone between 39 and 51 mpg, average 45 mpg. 

I believe the GS/GSA have a higher FD ratio (= higher revs for a given road speed) than the R/RS/RT, so my mileage won't be quite as good as the OP's under the same conditions.

Wow, I'm impressed with your GSA's fuel consumption. The impact of speed on fuel economy is a no brainer for me (wind resistance being a cubic function).  Worst mileage I got on my RT was just over 36 mpg on an 80 mph run west on I-90 across South Dakota with a wicked headwind. But, as a flat lander, I'm always amazed by the impact of altitude. I can't wait to get back to the Colorado Rockies. 

On 6/16/2020 at 7:59 PM, gordiet said:

I must be doing something wrong. My best with my 2020RS 38-42. Or maybe I’m doing something right!😂

Sounds like you're definitely having fun. 🏍💨

18 hours ago, gordiet said:

Just returned from a 900 ride and the MPH has gone up to 48 MPH. I think it must be getting broken in.

MPH or MPG?

On 6/25/2020 at 1:16 PM, gordiet said:

Just returned from a 900 ride and the MPH has gone up to 48 MPH. I think it must be getting broken in.

I'm seeing that too. In early April I only had 2000 miles on the bike, it was cool, and I was getting 42 mpg. Now it's late June, I've got 6000 miles on it, temps are well into the 80's, and I'm getting 49-50 mpg.

Little_Brit

As most have said fuel consumption is very much right hand related!  That said my 1250RT is significantly more frugal than my previous water-cooled 1200RT, about 4 miles per UK gallon better.  I have gone 300 miles on a tank but I did know that there was a petrol station at the end of my journey...  

On 250 mile cross country ride outs with my friends I am routinely getting 58 to 62 miles per UK gallon (refill to refill calculated) so 46 to 50 miles per US gallon, at an average speed of 44 mph.  That isn't hanging around and it does involve quite a bit of town riding, lots or rural back roads and very little dual carriageway/highway riding.

Even on long motorway runs in cool weather my consumption is around 54 mpg (UK) and that is at a true 70 mph.  It is very dodgy to try maintaining a higher speed than that in the UK if you want to keep your license - there are plenty of average speed cameras and fixed position speed cameras to catch the unwary on most of our motorway network.  Go really mad and you could accrue the licence losing 12 points in the course of a day!  

• Thinking 1

Funny that you mention fuel in the U.K, when Laura and I were on a hired 1250 RT, I saw 50-55 miles per gallon averages.  We rode from Woking to Wales for a 5 day hire and was pretty impressed with good fuel mileage.   I did exercise the right wrist quite a bit, but a lot better than my 40 - ish mpgs that I get Stateside.   Even a few English riders commented on the good gas mileage in their R1200C bikes, among others brands.  Maybe Wales has some decent gas too.  

Cheers,

Little_Brit
1 hour ago, wbw6cos said:

Funny that you mention fuel in the U.K, when Laura and I were on a hired 1250 RT, I saw 50-55 miles per gallon averages.  We rode from Woking to Wales for a 5 day hire and was pretty impressed with good fuel mileage.   I did exercise the right wrist quite a bit, but a lot better than my 40 - ish mpgs that I get Stateside.   Even a few English riders commented on the good gas mileage in their R1200C bikes, among others brands.  Maybe Wales has some decent gas too.  

Cheers,

We do of course have a bigger gallon, that helps!  

• Like 1
On 6/10/2020 at 7:23 AM, Rinkydink said:

Don’t trust that 48 miles left crap. My ‘09RT ran out of gas four blocks from the exit (uphill of course) to gas station showing 47 miles remaining. 😳 

On my '06 RT I typically go well under the "miles left" notice.  The '19GSA, I have gone under the notice, but so far, not as much as the RT.

As far as mileage, the '06 RT gets about 5-7 better than the '19 GSA.  I ride them equally, heavy throttled.

The RT stays around the 48-50, the GSA 41-44.

I woulda thunk that the newer bike woulda got better.

My commute is about half back roads, half slab.  So that means throttling the curves 50-70 and slabbing 80-90.

Dave_in_TX
3 hours ago, Rougarou said:

On my '06 RT I typically go well under the "miles left" notice.  The '19GSA, I have gone under the notice, but so far, not as much as the RT.

As far as mileage, the '06 RT gets about 5-7 better than the '19 GSA.  I ride them equally, heavy throttled.

My commute is about half back roads, half slab.  So that means throttling the curves 50-70 and slabbing 80-90.

Interesting. My 2011 RT got better mileage than my 2007. My 2014 GS got almost as good mileage  as the 2011 RT (RTs generally get a bit better mileage than GSs) and so far, my 2020 GS seems to be doing as good or better than the 2011 RT. IOW, facturing in that RTs generally get better mileage, I've seen an improvement with each new variation.

• 1 month later...

My 2019 RT gets 44 MPG on the twisties, in VA and WV dynamic. On the highway, in which my experience is a bit limited :), I have seen 55/56 MPG. Once I exceed 4K RPM, it drops a lot. Down to 38 MPG at around 80 MPH Road mode. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/6/2020 at 11:23 AM, Rougarou said:

At 4k rpm your rt should be at 75mph in 6th. Your gsa should  be at 70mph for same gear and rpm. 

• 6 months later...

I rode at a constant CC 70MPH on I 70 last June for an extended period.  Precisely 50MPG.  Incidentally, my calculated MPG is typically exactly what my trip computer shows.  At slower speeds in the twisties I've seen over 60MPG.  It gets 5%-10% better mileage than my '98 R1100R ridden side by side.  I guess that's what 20+ years of tech buys.

3 hours ago, Paddler said:

I rode at a constant CC 70MPH on I 70 last June for an extended period.  Precisely 50MPG.  Incidentally, my calculated MPG is typically exactly what my trip computer shows.  At slower speeds in the twisties I've seen over 60MPG.  It gets 5%-10% better mileage than my '98 R1100R ridden side by side.  I guess that's what 20+ years of tech buys.

On my 2020 R1250GS, calculated mpg is about 2 mpg below what the computer displays.

4 hours ago, Dave_in_TX said:

On my 2020 R1250GS, calculated mpg is about 2 mpg below what the computer displays.

Yep, I was amazed as that's never happened to me before in any vehicle.  But it's real.  I've calculated my mileage at every fillup since I bought the bike, now with 4700 miles on the clock, and every time it's been accurate to within 0.1MPG, usually spot on.  Really remarkable.