IGNORED

Brakes go WEEEEEEEEE

Rogerl

I have a 2013 BMW R1200R with the Brembo front calipers. I replaced the front brakes in the spring from the original factory pads to the Carbone Lorraine 1101SBK5 HH brake pads from Beemer Boneyard. Now when I apply the brakes the brakes make a WEEEEE noise. With my helmet on and ear plugs in I can barely hear them but if I ride without the ear plugs I can really hear the WEEEEEE noise. What is causing this? Is there something with the new brake pads that is causing this? Can it be fixed? Any information would be great.

Roger L

Were there any specific instructions on bedding in the brake pads? Have you tried some hard stops, running at a pretty good clip and hammering the brakes? Did you clean the rotors well with some brake cleaner and a rag or even with a red Scotchbrite pad?

1 hour ago, Rogerl said:

I have a 2013 BMW R1200R with the Brembo front calipers. I replaced the front brakes in the spring from the original factory pads to the Carbone Lorraine 1101SBK5 HH brake pads from Beemer Boneyard. Now when I apply the brakes the brakes make a WEEEEE noise. With my helmet on and ear plugs in I can barely hear them but if I ride without the ear plugs I can really hear the WEEEEEE noise. What is causing this? Is there something with the new brake pads that is causing this? Can it be fixed? Any information would be great.

Roger L

Morning  Roger L

Without hearing the actual noise about all we can do is guess at it from this side of the internet. 

The usual cause of a similar type brake  noise is the leading edges of the brake pads singing as they react with the small cooling holes in the brake rotors.

Depends on the hardness/composition  of the brake pads & on the angle of the brake pad leading edges.

Or, it could be hard metallic particles in the brake pad material reacting with the small cooling holes in the brake rotors (if the problem is this then it will probably get better on it's own the more you ride & the more you use the brakes)

You can try waiting to see if the noise decreases, or possibly even goes away, with more miles of usage. Sometimes those type noises will decrease with usage & miles traveled. 

Sometimes slightly chamfering the edges of the brake pads can decrease or eliminate similar pad-to-rotor noises. (personally, this is probably where I would start if it was my motorcycle) 

Without actually hearing the noise to be sure what is causing it my best suggestion is to call the brake pad manufactures help line & get their opinion on how to handle the problem.  

That's funny, all my bikes do that as soon as I upgrade the pads!! It has never bothered me as my road race bikes did the same. DR is correct about the source....... solid rotors don't do this, just the drilled/vented ones.

Thanks for all of the information. I have changed brake pads on my 2008 BMW R1200R and never had the noise and I never cleaned the rotors or bedded the brakes in the past and I have never had this problem. I normally use the EBC  HH brake pads. I will try a chamfering the leading edge of the pads to see if it quiets the noise.

Thanks Again

Roger L 

Maybe they just want to go home??? 

You know, like the little piggies? Get it???

OK OK, rim shot but sometimes I just can't help myself...