IGNORED

Warranty: valid in country other than where purchased?

luckyll

Hi Gang,

Got a few questions. First; anybody know why the large discrepancy in Canadian vs. US pricing? Let's take the R1200RT as an example: US MSRP is $17,505USD which at today's exchange rate comes out to about $18,875CAD, while the Canadian MSRP is $23,250CAD!!! Which brings me to my second question: if I cross the border and buy from a dealer in the States, will the warranty still be valid when I go back home to Canada?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Lucky

Got a few questions. First; anybody know why the large discrepancy in Canadian vs. US pricing? Let's take the R1200RT as an example: US MSRP is $17,505USD which at today's exchange rate comes out to about $18,875CAD, while the Canadian MSRP is $23,250CAD!!! Which brings me to my second question: if I cross the border and buy from a dealer in the States, will the warranty still be valid when I go back home to Canada?

I cannot see that they could not honour the warrantee.

As for the cost issue, I emailed BMW Canada a couple of months ago when the US and Canadian prices for the new K1200GT were released. I specifically asked why the Canadian GT costs $4000 Canadian MORE than the US GT.

Their answer insulted my intelligence! Basically they said that because the options that came as standard were different, a comparison on price wasn't valid. What total BS! A $4000 cost difference because of a small difference in standard options? How stupid do they think we are?

Bob.

Perhaps some of the $4000 difference might be in import tariffs(?) (I don't know, just guessing.) Warranty issues aside, if you purchased a motor vehicle in the US and immediately brought it into Canada wouldn't you have to pay some sort of duty or tax or something (that would negate the savings)? I'm only guessing there must be, else why would anyone buy a bike in Canada when they can simply come across the border and realize a $4000 savings?

Hi Gang,

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Lucky

Since I ran into this issue last year I can give some advice. First off, the BMW American system will not have your VIN so the local dealer has no choice but to initally state that he cannot cover it under warranty. If you read your warranty it actually states that it is only valid in Canada. This would not be the case if you visit your Canadian BMW Dealer and ask him for the internal directive from BMW that directs all American dealers to honour the Canadian warranty. If your dealer doesn't know what you are talking about phone BMW Head Office in Whitby ON and ask for the same memo.

Let me know if you need help.

RonStewart

I bought my R1150RT from Max BMW in New Hampshire in February 2005. I saved several thousands of dollars, even after paying $500 US to ship it across the continent.

You have to pay federal and provincial sales tax (HST in New Brunswick?) and a flat fee that is about $160 (or maybe $60?) for a vehicle inspection. No tariffs.

A big factor in the price difference is that the MSRP in Canada and the US were set some time ago, and since then the Canadian dollar has gained a lot of strength. Another factor is that US dealers compete against each other on price. Canadian ones know that they will sell their allotment, and charge what they can get.

I have had warranty work done in Canada, and didn't have to quote internal memos to get it done.

Now, I cannot say what your relationship with your local dealer will be. Do you even have a local dealer? The dealer where I have my service done was sold out when I bought my RT. The other dealer in town, the one with the overpriced RTs, still gets my Yamaha service business, and the service guys don't know that I stiffed their sales side.

usually the dealer would probably honor it if they can get easily reimbursed. THey would however not give it any priority unless you give them some other business as well. It is differnent if you are a traveler since they then would not have lost anything on your purchase.

In Europe between countries it is the same dealer become very uncooperative until you give them business if you reside in the area.

Now, do they have the same warranty is another question, European warranties would be 12 or 24 months (even on the 650 BMW convertible) and you pay service in the uS it is 4 years and all paid for service for up to 50,000 miles, and roadside service. Bikes are not as well covered and it may be different in Canada.

Duties could be levied since the bike is not made in NAFTA area and some taxes as well but that I do not know about.

If you live close to the border you can always service it in the US and enjoy the lower price....

Countries also have different spec requirements, blinkers have to be one or another color, license plate brackets....

tires... whatever.

So in summary I would think it is possible to get it honored but may be slow to get done.

Perhaps some of the $4000 difference might be in import tariffs(?)

Actually, Canada has no import tariffs on motorcycles, because we do not make any here, so there are no bike companies to "protect".

The increase in cost may be attributable partially to the much smaller volume of bikes BMW sells here compared to the US, and therefore a higher overhead reflected to each bike sold. But $4000 worth??

Bob.

Thanks for the information, guys. I appreciate it.

As I mentioned above, I still can't understand why the Canuck prices are so inflated when compared to the US MSRP? Difference in options: bull! On the R1200RT the only "option" the Canadian model seems to have standard are the heated grips. Which would account for (at most) a $200 difference.

Glad to hear the BMW will honour US Warrantied bikes in Canada. It would only make sense as BMW is a "world marque".

Regarding the local dealer; I'll be fair and offer him a chance to at least come close to the US pricing - but I think we all know that he won't succeed. Don't get me wrong, I'd much prefer to support my local dealer (Atlantic Motoplex - Dieppe, NB) rather then spend my money elsewhere, but not if it costs me an extra $4000!

For any Canadians interested in importing a motorcycle from the US, complete information is available at the following websites:

http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/rc4140/rc4140-e.html

For importing, the Registrar of Imported Vehicles' fee is $182.00 CDN (except Quebec where it is $197). Add on top of that the HST or GST (depending on province). And that's about it. You still come out way ahead of the game when compared to buying it locally.

Best regards,

Lucky

I'd much prefer to support my local dealer rather then spend my money elsewhere, but not if it costs me an extra $4000!
I guess that makes you an official 'BMW cheapskate'. grin.gif
I guess that makes you an official 'BMW cheapskate'. grin.gif

Actually, I prefer the term "frugal" grin.gif

Cheers,

Lucky

Perhaps some of the $4000 difference might be in import tariffs(?)

Actually, Canada has no import tariffs on motorcycles, because we do not make any here, so there are no bike companies to "protect".

Bob.

Isn't it about time to bring back the Can Am? grin.gif

I imported my 2001 RT in 2004. I bought it from a Seattle dealer.

The dollar was 1.33 then! I still saved money, I drool at the savings of a dollar that's 1.11 now.

No duty on motorcycles imported from anywhere in the world into Canada.

Are you sure you can import new from the states? I thought it had to be a used bike?

You pay GST at the border, and in BC you pay the PST when you register the bike.

I trailered it up on Wednesday. Was insured and riding on the following Monday. Had the federal inspection done on Saturday, and had the paperwork and import sticker about 2 weeks later. I've since put over 60,000 km on it.

Lordy it's been a fun bike! smile.gif

RonStewart
Are you sure you can import new from the states? I thought it had to be a used bike?
That was then, this is now, Smoky. I don't know when the rules changed, but I have brought two new ones in since 2000.

Just noticed that one of the links above is dead. Here's the correct link to the document on importing a vehicle from the Canada Border Services Agency website:

http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/rc4140/README.html

Also noticed that the numbers have changed, the RIV's fee is now $209 in all provinces except Québec where it's $224.

Doesn't have to be a used bike - as long as it's on the RIV's list of "approved vehicles", you're good to go.

Cheers,

Lucky

I would check with BMW Canada before assuming they will honour the warranty. Over the past few years a lot of companies have tried to stop "grey market" imports by refusing to honour the warranty if it was purchased in another country. For various reasons product pricing can vary dramatically depending on the jurisdiction in which it is being sold and manufacturers will do this in order to dissuade people from purchasing the product cheaper in another country. Personally I would want something in writing saying the will honour the warranty. If they are not willing to put it in writing that tells you that you may have a problem if warranty work is required.

The other issue is that there are a few differences between the warranties on bikes sold in Canada and the US. The Canadian warranty is 3 years unlimited miles (I think in the US its limited to 36,000 miles). I also believe the Canadian warranty covers batteries for an extra year over what the US one (I may be wrong on that).

As someone else pointed out the prices used to be almost identical but BMW did not adjust their prices as the Canadian dollar went up and now there is a significant difference.

dioscouri

I don't know about BMW bikes, but, speaking from 1st hand experience, BMW accessories purchased in the U.S. apparently are NOT covered under warranty in Canada.

Archived