IGNORED

final drive.

Wallace

Hi all .

I am new to this forum . I have 1100rt 1996  and i took drive shaft out for inspection .To  reassemble it does the knuckles have to line up with other or can it go back in anyway . There is a red dots on either end of shaft .. All ideas appreciated..   

40 minutes ago, Wallace said:

Hi all .

I am new to this forum . I have 1100rt 1996  and i took drive shaft out for inspection .To  reassemble it does the knuckles have to line up with other or can it go back in anyway . There is a red dots on either end of shaft .. All ideas appreciated..   

Afternoon Wallace

Darn good question-- It has been debated for years on the BMW 1100/1150 boxer bikes.

If both ends (both U joints) of the drive shaft operate at the same working angles then they offset each other so the shaft RPM remains constant throughout it's operation. On shafts that have about the same nominal working angles on each end then the shaft ( U joints) should really be put back in phase when re-installed as that kills off the shaft RPM variation as the U joints accelerate/decelerate throughout their rotation. 

The BMW 1100/1150 really doesn't have matching front & rear U joint operating angles so proper phasing isn't a big deal. Most 1100/1150 riders  would never know if the shaft was phased properly or not (in fact the BMW service manual doesn't even mention lining up (phasing)  the U joints during shaft installation). 

Now, with the above being said: Yes, do line the U joints up to put them in proper phase as there is no good reason to not do that & possibly a few good reasons to do it. 

Oh thanks for replying so quickly ya probably make more sense allrite. I lost the run of myself and I have trans out and stripped. Just as well bearing scored and input shaft seal damp. First time to have 1150rt nice bike to ride. 

29 minutes ago, Wallace said:

Oh thanks for replying so quickly ya probably make more sense allrite. I lost the run of myself and I have trans out and stripped. Just as well bearing scored and input shaft seal damp. First time to have 1150rt nice bike to ride. 

Afternoon Wallace

Your drive shaft probably came out of the motorcycle not lined up in phase anyhow so it wouldn't matter if you lost the original alignment or not. A good many that I have removed were not lined up by BMW to begin with.

In any case, here is how a properly phased  drive shaft lines up. (see below)

Yours might not line it up exactly anyhow  as there is a rubber isolator between  the front & rear shaft pieces,  the rubber  tends to twist a little over years of use so they won't always line up exactly due to rubber twist.  

hy3Rx4i.jpg

Class information dirt rider. Ya if I line them up there is a slight twist in alignment. Thanks again. Have u a rt yourself. 

1 minute ago, Wallace said:

Class information dirt rider. Ya if I line them up there is a slight twist in alignment. Thanks again. Have u a rt yourself

Afternoon Wallace

I have had many over the years , still have a few, and  work on many more. 

Morning dirtrider

Great stuff .. While i was in so deep i took a look at the  clutch its down near the rivets so i decided ill change it . Would it be a good idea to replace the big spring plate aswell. 

7 hours ago, Wallace said:

Morning dirtrider

Great stuff .. While i was in so deep i took a look at the  clutch its down near the rivets so i decided ill change it . Would it be a good idea to replace the big spring plate aswell. 

Morning Wallace

You won't really know until you open it up. It also DEPENDS on what clutch package is in that motorcycle now. Not a lot of individual clutch   parts available for the 1996. The BMW clutch replacement at dealer level was to install the entire later (post 1997) clutch package.

You have a 1996 motorcycle so that bike came with the early (pre 1997) clutch parts. I don't think you can even buy the spring separately for the early (1996) clutch package.  

If your clutch was replaced at some point it might have the later clutch parts already installed (you can buy the spring separately for that (post 1997) clutch package. 

You might also find a lot of hot spots on the pressure plate when you open it up.

Also, look closely at the pushrod seat in the spring hub for wear. 

My suggestion is to take your motorcycle apart then see what you need & what is still available (you might need to install a full clutch package).