IGNORED

r1100rt vibrations

bob duke

hi there.

Just bought a 1996 1100rt, and at 6000.rpm i have many vibrations felt at bars and seat.

3000 to 5000 is very smooth.

Is that the nature of the beast?I come from a 4cylinder(fjr 1300) Boxer is new to me.

I think also my idle is high ..1300rpm

I think there will be more vibration on the R100RT than you had on the FJR. I think you get used to it. It doesn't bother me any more.

The spec for idle is 1000-1100, but I like mine a little higher. I set mine at 1200-1300. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bob duke said:

hi there.

Just bought a 1996 1100rt, and at 6000.rpm i have many vibrations felt at bars and seat.

3000 to 5000 is very smooth.

Is that the nature of the beast?I come from a 4cylinder(fjr 1300) Boxer is new to me.

I think also my idle is high ..1300rpm

Afternoon Bob 

Are you feeling a vibration or a buzz?

If a higher frequency buzz in the handlebars, seat, & foot pegs then that that is pretty normal.

They ALL have that basic boxer buzz, some are worse than others.

Seeing as we can't ride or feel your specific motorcycle then no way to tell if what you have is normal or worse than normal.  

If what you are feeling is mostly in the handlebars then heavier handlebar end weights usually help reduce that.

Most new BMW boxer riders notice & feel that higher RPM boxer buzz but after riding the motorcycle for a while it becomes a normal feel so  it isn't noticed or bothersome any longer. 

9 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon Bob 

Are you feeling a vibration or a buzz?

If a higher frequency buzz in the handlebars, seat, & foot pegs then that that is pretty normal.

They ALL have that basic boxer buzz, some are worse than others.

Seeing as we can't ride of feel your specific motorcycle no way to tell if what you have is normal or worse than normal.  

If what you are feeling is mostly in the handlebars then heavier handlebar end weights usually help reduce that.

Most new BMW riders notice & feel that higher RPM boxer buzz but after riding the motorcycle for a while it becomes a normal feel so  it isn't noticed or bothersome any longer. 

yes its a buzz, starts after 5000 and gradually increase...thanks for correcting me.

Michaelr11

There is a big difference in the motors between those two. The boxer motor shouldn’t be ridden like a Harley, at 2500 rpm, but it really isn’t going to be in the sweet spot at 6000 for a long ride either. Of course this is MY opinion. Try running at 3500-5000 for a while. It’s not a 4 cylinder.... just saying.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Michaelr11 said:

There is a big difference in the motors between those two. The boxer motor shouldn’t be ridden like a Harley, at 2500 rpm, but it really isn’t going to be in the sweet spot at 6000 for a long ride either. Of course this is MY opinion. Try running at 3500-5000 for a while. It’s not a 4 cylinder.... just saying.

its night and day difference.

I made the swap because fjr riding position give me health problems, even with risers.

Had bmw k100lt in the past, and wanted a beemer again, but without the additional heat!!

Sounds like a tune up is in order from what I hear.... or at least a TB sync, but then what do I know......

17 hours ago, bob duke said:

yes its a buzz, starts after 5000 and gradually increase...thanks for correcting me.

Morning Bob

At that RPM range 5000+ it's pretty well  all mechanical as that is way too high of an RPM for things like TB balance to have much effect. 

About all you can do is verify that all the engine & chassis bolts are tight then make sure the exhaust system is not  grounding out & vibrating against the frame, center stand,  or chassis. Also, make sure the muffler's rear mount is free to move slightly  & not binding up.

You will probably find the rubber mounts at the rear of the catalytic converter broken (normal), BMW doesn't have parts to replace those as those mounts  were eliminated on the later 1150 boxer bikes so BMW found those rubber mounts were not really needed  on the 1100 bikes.