IGNORED

Alpinestars SMX-1 Air Gloves Review

MotoNews

Published in: Gear

Alpinestar SMX-1 Gloves intro

There’s no hiding the fact that I love Alpinestars products and they’re the only brand I’ve consistently purchased since I got into riding. While shopping for tie-downs at my local dealership, I stumbled upon the Alpinestars SMX-1 Air Gloves. They were in the “street bike” section of the shop, surrounded by road-tailored gear and sport helmets. And despite the “Road Sport” logos on the gloves’ packaging, I knew just by handling them that they’d be a great option for dual-sporting. So, I swiped my card, gladly spent money I didn’t have, and was on my way.

What first attracted me to the SMX-1 Gloves was their overall styling and construction. Imagine motocross gloves with hard knuckle protection, palm padding, reinforced grip zones, and layered materials to protect abrasion zones. They’re more robust than off-road gloves, but more breathable, lighter, and more comfortable than typical street gloves.

The pre-curved fingers have touchscreen-compatible fingertips, a feature I didn’t know existed until I forgot to pull them off at a gas station. The gloves are optimized for ventilation, so they aren’t waterproof. As expected, they don’t breathe as well as motocross gloves, but the 3D Mesh provides good air flow. The trade-off for durability and safety is worth it for the type of riding I do.

Alpinestar SMX 1 Gloves 1

Close attention to detail and thoughtful construction in Alpinestars products have always impressed me. There’s no extra material hanging off the fingertips to snag on levers, or stuffed inside to create discomfort. There’s even a small stretchy insert between the palm and thumb to create a snug fit while still offering a good range of motion. Abrasion zones are double stitched and I counted no fewer than 11 different materials in the gloves’ composition. This product is extremely well made and a bargain at its price point.

It takes a couple of rides in warm weather to break in the gloves. As the goat leather stretches, the glove gets softer and more comfortable. On the trail, I’ve found that my hands won’t get toasty as long as I stay moving. The foam in the palm really does reduce stress and vibration, most noticeable on long rides. I haven’t tested the durability of the molded knuckle protection in the SMX-1, but it’s the same unit as found on my SP-2 road race gloves, which have held up after taking multiple impacts at high speeds during track days.

These gloves check off all the boxes, and I wouldn’t hesitate to buy them again once they wear out. If you’re looking for an option with more protection than motocross gloves but offering comfort on the trail, take a hard look at the SMX-1 Air Gloves.

Alpinestar SMX 1 Gloves 2

Alpinestars.com

MSRP: $59.95

PROS:

• Durable construction
  • Comfortable, pre-formed fit
  • Great ventilation
  • Much safer than thin motocross gloves

CONS:

• Check the forecast
  • The 3D Mesh traps dirt
D_IAm6-tALQ