IGNORED

Problems connecting Garmin to computer

John Ranalletta

John Ranalletta

This was a recurring issue.  I'd start Basecamp and connect the GPS to the laptop via usb but Basecamp could not "see" the GPS.  Occasionally, after 5-10, the GPS would connect.

Connecting the GPS to the laptop and rebooting the laptop, then starting Basecamp seems to work more often than not.

YMMV

14 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

This was a recurring issue.  I'd start Basecamp and connect the GPS to the laptop via usb but Basecamp could not "see" the GPS.  Occasionally, after 5-10, the GPS would connect.

Connecting the GPS to the laptop and rebooting the laptop, then starting Basecamp seems to work more often than not.

YMMV

Morning John

If Garmin Express is running in the background then sometimes BaseCamp won't see it as the GPS is already communicating with another program.

Maybe try setting  Garmin Express so it doesn't run all the time in the background to see if that makes a difference. 

You might also go to this link & update, or re-install, the Garmin drivers. 

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=jAD9zCOUod0dDU55paUE99

Hey John,

You might also try another USB cable.  I've always found the Garmin very finicky about the connector used.

Good luck!

• Like 1
John Ranalletta
15 minutes ago, Id's_OK said:

Hey John,

You might also try another USB cable.  I've always found the Garmin very finicky about the connector used.

Good luck!

Thanks. Tried a half dozen or so. 

John Ranalletta
1 hour ago, dirtrider said:

Morning John

If Garmin Express is running in the background then sometimes BaseCamp won't see it as the GPS is already communicating with another program.

Maybe try setting  Garmin Express so it doesn't run all the time in the background to see if that makes a difference. 

You might also go to this link & update, or re-install, the Garmin drivers. 

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=jAD9zCOUod0dDU55paUE99

thanks, DR

Bill_Walker

On my Mac, my older Garmins/NAVs (NAV II, Zumo 660, Oregon 450) would connect right away.  My NAV VI can take several minutes.

not sure if this will help, but I always connect the gps first and wait for my pc to recognize that it there.  Only after I can see it (usually as 2 folders, one for the garmin and one for the sd card inside it) do I then bring up basecamp.