IGNORED

2011 R1200GS w/90k miles: pass or play

Still CAL

I'm getting more and more interested in getting a GS for the backcountry area I live in. Found a 2005 with 42k on the clock, but after searching the forum it looks like I'm better off with later year models. This 2011 has 90,000 miles and is listed for $6000. It's been factory lowered and owned by two race team mechanics. Not much more info in the ad. Is it worth a look at that price?

The 2011 is within a few hours' driving distance, while the '05 is in Florida, 1500 miles away. Here's both ads:

https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/mcy/d/albuquerque-2011-bmw-r1200gs/7129685968.html

https://tallahassee.craigslist.org/mcy/d/crawfordville-2005-bmw-r1200gs/7121575232.html

I have a brother who could shelter the Florida bike for me till I can get it so no issue there. I really enjoy my RT but the GS would be better suited to where I actually ride. Thanks for any input.

Was thinking the price high on the '11. John R., did you have major issues with the 05? DR mentions things to look for in another thread like early driveshaft failures, front and rear oil leaks, final drive probs, ESA probs, brake probs. Did you run into anything like those or similar? The later bikes had the bulk of those issues designed out by BMW, he said.

The '11 may still be a catch, but it gripes me a little that sellers only post one pic of their rides, makes me suspicious. I'll try to call him later today and get a clearer picture.

John Ranalletta
6 minutes ago, Still CAL said:

Was thinking the price high on the '11. John R., did you have major issues with the 05? DR mentions things to look for in another thread like early driveshaft failures, front and rear oil leaks, final drive probs, ESA probs, brake probs. Did you run into anything like those or similar? The later bikes had the bulk of those issues designed out by BMW, he said.

The '11 may still be a catch, but it gripes me a little that sellers only post one pic of their rides, makes me suspicious. I'll try to call him later today and get a clearer picture.

The I replaced the driveshaft on the 05, cleaned it up and had the plastic painted.  The buyer showed up, handed over the cash and rode it 1,100 miles home to Colo Springs.

szurszewski

The price seems a bit high on both, and it looks to me like the Florida one might be living in a shed. With humidity there I’d want to look it over closely first with an eye out for general light corrosion on fasteners and such. 

I have a 2012 I really like, but I wouldn’t be opposed to a 2005 era bike - for the right price. 

I grew up in that area of Florida and lived another 38 years on the coast of Ole Miss while working out of southeast Texas for 28 years. I forgot about the corrosion issues till you mentioned it, thanks for that. Here in the desert it's dried-out and brittle everything, from gaskets and seals to wiring harnesses and connectors. I reckon if I can't slap my own baby browns on it I should keep looking. Thanks for the replies.

szurszewski
1 hour ago, Still CAL said:

I grew up in that area of Florida and lived another 38 years on the coast of Ole Miss while working out of southeast Texas for 28 years. I forgot about the corrosion issues till you mentioned it, thanks for that. Here in the desert it's dried-out and brittle everything, from gaskets and seals to wiring harnesses and connectors. I reckon if I can't slap my own baby browns on it I should keep looking. Thanks for the replies.

I grew up in western WA, mostly, and then moved to SE Alaska, so my inclination is to look for rust everywhere. As a counter point, the '12 I picked up earlier this year came from Mesa, AZ - not a spec of rust on it, but the matte black plastics sure are extra matte :)

Quick question about wheels. Some bikes have spokes, some have alloy wheels. One test ride vid I watched, the guy said he bent a rim not too far into the test ride, but don't remember if it was spokes or alloy. What's the consensus?

Dave_in_TX

The wire wheels tend to be more durable but you really need to push it to damage the alloy ones. If you do a lot of off pavement riding wire ones are preferable.

1 hour ago, Still CAL said:

Quick question about wheels. Some bikes have spokes, some have alloy wheels. One test ride vid I watched, the guy said he bent a rim not too far into the test ride, but don't remember if it was spokes or alloy. What's the consensus?

Morning Still CAL

Alloy wheels are a very poor choice for most real off-road riding as the do bend easily (especially if the tire pressures are lowered for off road work). It doesn't take much of a bend or distortion in the rim to let the air leak out.

Not only are the spoke wheels more durable, the spokes tend to absorb some of the impact deflections without bending something.    

szurszewski
5 hours ago, TEWKS said:

30K less miles and a little less money. With the words "Offers" attached. ;) Shoot $4500 at him.

A 2011 GS in Vermont with 60K Miles

00s0s_jU6vmuY9O53_0t20lM_1200x900.jpg

If you could get that one for $5k, you could have it shipped to your door and still be under $6k - and you'd have 30k fewer miles on the clock. This one looks better to me anyway... I don't know how you feel about air travel right now, but if you're not opposed to it that'd be a fun bike to do a fly and ride. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, szurszewski said:

If you could get that one for $5k, you could have it shipped to your door and still be under $6k - and you'd have 30k fewer miles on the clock. This one looks better to me anyway... I don't know how you feel about air travel right now, but if you're not opposed to it that'd be a fun bike to do a fly and ride. 

Only opposed 'cos I did it professionally for almost 30 years and I know what goes on in the pointy end of some flights. As far as wheels go, most of what I've looked at so far have the spoked wheels vs the alloys. Didn't I read that these particular types of spoked wheels are tubeless because of where the spokes enter the rim?

szurszewski

Yep- the spokes/nipples basically mount through the rim of the wheel (though you can make about any wheel tubeless by sealing the inside). 

Thanks, sent the guy with the 2011 an email, I'll see what he says. Thanks again for the help.

• Like 1

So I ended up going with the '05 after all. I was able to get him to knock a few bucks off the price, and my brother and nephew went and looked at it. They looked it over pretty thoroughly and didn't see any evidence of leaks, corrosion or the like, just some scratches on the top case that I knew about. Nephew (a HD guy) got to ride it and commented that he could easily get used to the GS. He'd never ridden anything similar, but by the 2nd turn in the road was having difficulty making himself take the bike back!

It's not an Adventure but the adventure begins for me now, getting the bike from FL to NM. I'm working full-time for the census so no off-time till all the counting is done. Guess I'll see how much uShip will cost. Brother is sending more pics today so I'll post a few of those, these are from the ad.

gs1.jpg

gs10.jpg

gs13.jpg

• Like 3
szurszewski

www.haulbikes.com has a good reputation, but I talked to a buddy yesterday who had tried to ship a bike to his son (from WA to MI) and they could only promise by the end of July. 

Maybe your nephew has a couple of free weeks coming up?

Congrats on the purchase!