IGNORED

0 to 248 mph a new production motorcycle record

ltljohn

1 minute ago, Pappy35 said:

Why? Just why?

Because it's there

1 minute ago, Pappy35 said:

That thing is going to be a boon to the human organ donation industry...

With an MSRP of $55,000 there will not be many sold to other than race teams.

5 minutes ago, ltljohn said:

Because it's there

With an MSRP of $55,000 there will not be many sold to other than race teams.

Yeah. Good point. Thing is though that videos like this will inspire the idiots with money out there (and there are a lot of them) to run out and buy one to see how fast they can go. I took the basic MSF class a few years ago as a refresher before getting back into riding. There was a guy there who was a total newbie, 40+ years old, who said he was taking delivery of a brand new Hayabusa the following week. Guy could barely ride the glorified mopeds issued for the class and almost failed the test. Organ donor in the making.

All that said, that is one hell a technical achievement. Centrifugal blower, 300+HP (200 for the street variant). Amazing.

I guess the simple answer as to the why is, because they can. ;) Your last statement about technical achievement is pretty much the gist it. Most inquisitive humans will try to improve everything within their reach. Looks like Kawasaki nailed it! :thumbsup:

• Like 1
RandyShields

I can't think of a more stupid place to do a run like that than a suspension bridge with huge wire supports, light poles and wire guard rails that are known to chew up motorcyclists when hit. And what about the hundreds of feet of drop if he is lucky enough to miss all the obstacles and launches over the barriers??  The prior efforts at the Bonneville Salt Flats at least didn't have things to hit.  Other than the ground.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So for 55K,  :5146:you can forgo years of education and commitment while still experiencing the same e-ticket ride!  :5210::4323:

10 hours ago, TEWKS said:

So for 55K,  :5146:you can forgo years of education and commitment while still experiencing the same e-ticket ride!  :5210::4323:

Yes but piloting either without the proper training and skills will have the same fatal result

Apples and oranges, to be fair I guess he was an accomplished high altitude glider pilot if that meant anything. :dontknow:

You guys picking it apart and saying it's stupid and why and it's stupid. You sound like my mom. Grow a pair, would ya?

• Haha 2

Isn't it though? Who among us has never lusted after a very impractical but oh so cool car or motorcycle?

And remember that we are all part of a group that participates in a very dangerous activity every chance we get. And we love it and try to get others to do it, because it's awesome!

27 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

Isn't it though? Who among us has never lusted after a very impractical but oh so cool car or motorcycle?

And remember that we are all part of a group that participates in a very dangerous activity every chance we get. And we love it and try to get others to do it, because it's awesome!

Wow, never considered street riding to be “very dangerous”.

Raced for 29 years, that was more dangerous, didn’t consider that very dangerous, even after receiving mouth to mouth and waking up in a hospital the next day.

If you don't think riding a motorcycle in traffic is very dangerous, just ask anyone who doesn't. We become used to it, maybe a little lax, but it is still very dangerous. Driving a car is regular dangerous. If it wasn't, it wouldn't kill 40,000 Americans every year.

I can only think of a few things that bring me as much joy as riding a motorcycle, danger kind of adds to the thrill.

I meant to add, at least on a track everyone is on the same page. On the street, there are 1000 pages.

And I'm jealous that you raced for so long, I loved it the short time I did it.

RandyShields
On 6/2/2020 at 7:55 PM, Hosstage said:

You guys picking it apart and saying it's stupid and why and it's stupid. You sound like my mom. Grow a pair, would ya?

So, tell us a bit about yourself.

1 hour ago, RandyShields said:

So, tell us a bit about yourself.

Well, chicks dig me, 'cause I rarely wear underwear. (Credit to Bill Murray!)

I've raced cars, legally and quite illegally, I've raced motorcycles, never legally, I've drunk, caroused, drugged, crashed, and lived through all of it mostly unscathed. I still ride without a helmet, I still speed excesissively, and I'm mostly a responsible citizen in general. I like a good joke, I much prefer to hang out with people that enjoy a good time rather than see life as a series of dangers to be avoided.

I try not to take life too seriously, but I understand when things are serious.

I think my outlook on life comes from the fact that my father died when he was way too young (brain cancer at 32 years old) and I was only eight years old with three younger brothers, whom I now felt some responsibility to watch over. It tought me that nothing is guaranteed, that life can be fleeting and the best plans are just that, plans that can change quickly, be prepared to go with them. It tought me to live life sometimes as fast as you can, it ends all too quickly, pack as much fun into it as possible. I have settled down quite a bit, I mostly drink socially, I don't drug anymore (a little weed now and then doesn't count!), I don't carouse (my wife would get all my stuff), and I try not to crash anymore, recovery takes way too long. I've been very lucky in my life, I have a wonderful wife that encourages me to do the things that bring me joy, kept me focused on the important things when I was a bit reckless, she is quite the adventurous girl herself, so it's a good match, couple of kids, a few grandkids, and we are the cool grandpa and grandma that pull up on the loud Harley. With apehangers.

I'm 6'4", fit and trim, pretty much a speciman.

That last part may be a bit of embellishment. Ok, a lot of embellishment. 

So when some knucklehead goes way too fast on a motorcycle, or starts doing burnouts and wheelies, I wholeheartedly encourage it. More please!

Anyway, that's a little bit about myself.

• Like 1

I'm in lovely Minnesota, home of the 9 month winter. A lot of local riding in MN and Wisconsin. Long road trips to both coasts have happened, multi day trips are common, and an Ultimate Alps Tour in Europe with Edelweiss Bike Tours, the scariest and greatest trip if my life. That is where I fell in love with the R1200RT. That is how I come to be here. I haven't pulled the trigger on one yet, but it is on the short list.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

I'm in lovely Minnesota, home of the 9 month winter. A lot of local riding in MN and Wisconsin. Long road trips to both coasts have happened, multi day trips are common, and an Ultimate Alps Tour in Europe with Edelweiss Bike Tours, the scariest and greatest trip if my life. That is where I fell in love with the R1200RT. That is how I come to be here. I haven't pulled the trigger on one yet, but it is on the short list.

Nice, do you happen to like Pina coladas? :grin: Edelweiss is top notch, did two of their trips in the 90's!! :thumbsup:

I'm mostly a Crown man myself, not a big fan of getting caught in the rain, and long walks are way overrated, on the beach or otherwise.

But 248 mph on a motorcycle? I could almost be talked into that. Almost. It would probably take a couple Crowns first.

• Haha 1