IGNORED

Accidentally Moved the Timing Chain

Xavier71

Hello there. My problem started when a big issue with a broken valve. The failure damaged the valve head, piston and cylinder from the left side. So I was trying to change the left piston of my rt 09, when I installed the new valve head, accidentally I did not screw the sprocket’s bolt correctly. Then I moved the rear tire of my bike about two times to try to find the TDC but discovered that the sprocket turns free and it caused a loss of the timing. It is worth mentioning that before I dismantling the sprocket of the time chain, I paint some marks on the chain and sprocket, just to make sure that both parts matched after  reinstall. I have an opportunity to fix my disaster or do you recommend taking it to the dealer?

CFD71042-96F9-46DC-A5C7-73FCEBEDF7C6.jpeg

10 hours ago, Xavier71 said:

Hello there. My problem started when a big issue with a broken valve. The failure damaged the valve head, piston and cylinder from the left side. So I was trying to change the left piston of my rt 09, when I installed the new valve head, accidentally I did not screw the sprocket’s bolt correctly. Then I moved the rear tire of my bike about two times to try to find the TDC but discovered that the sprocket turns free and it caused a loss of the timing. It is worth mentioning that before I dismantling the sprocket of the time chain, I paint some marks on the chain and sprocket, just to make sure that both parts matched after  reinstall. I have an opportunity to fix my disaster or do you recommend taking it to the dealer?

Morning  Xavier71

You can fix it (re-time it) yourself but you really need to know how to check the cam timing to do so. 

If you don't get it right you can easily bend a valve from hitting a piston. 

You need to start by removing the cam gear bolt again then verifying the chain sprocket is not damaged where it keys into the camshaft slot. If OK then you need to positively verify that the cam sprocket tit lines up with the camshaft slot. 

I would also replace the cam sprocket bolt, --- after tightening the bolt on on a cam sprocket  that was not locked into the cam slot (tightening the bolt on a crooked sprocket) the sprocket bolt head can sometimes break  off due to the uneven torqueing. 

On 5/31/2020 at 5:31 AM, dirtrider said:

Morning  Xavier71

You can fix it (re-time it) yourself but you really need to know how to check the cam timing to do so. 

If you don't get it right you can easily bend a valve from hitting a piston. 

You need to start by removing the cam gear bolt again then verifying the chain sprocket is not damaged where it keys into the camshaft slot. If OK then you need to positively verify that the cam sprocket tit lines up with the camshaft slot. 

I would also replace the cam sprocket bolt, --- after tightening the bolt on on a cam sprocket  that was not locked into the cam slot (tightening the bolt on a crooked sprocket) the sprocket bolt head can sometimes break  off due to the uneven torqueing. 

Looks a little bit complicated but I will try to use  your method to readjust the timing over next weekend. I will post my results. Thank you a lot Dirtrider.