IGNORED

ABS not active , don't know why?

easybeeks

I just bought a 2004 R1150RT with 58,000 Km (36,000 miles) and the previous owner, who owned it for 2 years, told me that the guy he bought it from advised him that the ABS was either disabled or removed, but my previous owner didn't remember which it was. All visible parts of the ABS are there, the ABS warning lights on the dash don't come on at all. Where is the control unit located?

I want the ABS to work !

What is the difference between 'disabling' the ABS versus 'removing' the ABS completely.  I think it was just disabled. What should I be looking at get the ABS functioning? 

13 hours ago, easybeeks said:

I just bought a 2004 R1150RT with 58,000 Km (36,000 miles) and the previous owner, who owned it for 2 years, told me that the guy he bought it from advised him that the ABS was either disabled or removed, but my previous owner didn't remember which it was. All visible parts of the ABS are there, the ABS warning lights on the dash don't come on at all. Where is the control unit located?

I want the ABS to work !

What is the difference between 'disabling' the ABS versus 'removing' the ABS completely.  I think it was just disabled. What should I be looking at get the ABS functioning? 

Morning  easybeeks

There are 2 places that operate the dash ABS lights. One is the ABS relay in the fuse box & the other is directly from the ABS module (located in front of the battery). This is how they are able to flash alternately.

To get the ABS functioning you need to first verify that the ABS module is still mounted on the motorcycle and that the brake lines still go to (into & out of) the ABS module. 

If you have decent feeling brakes now then the ABS module has more than likely  been removed, or at least by-passed. If the ABS module is still in the brake system but powered down you have very sluggish feeling brake application from both front lever or rear pedal. 

The ABS module is usually removed (or by-passed) due to EXPENSIVE internal issues so even if you get it plumbed back in there is a real good chance that you will then have to remove it & send it out for repair. 

So first try to locate the ABS module,  (larger) module in front of the  battery with brake line fittings on top. If you find it then see if the brake lines still go into & out of it. 

If you find it then we can work from there. 

Thanks so much. So will this require the gas tank to be removed in order to locate the ABS module  to ascertain whether it has been removed? If so how difficult is it to remove? I have all the plastic removed as a I am doing some other maintenance. 

8 minutes ago, easybeeks said:

Thanks so much. So will this require the gas tank to be removed in order to locate the ABS module  to ascertain whether it has been removed? If so how difficult is it to remove? I have all the plastic removed as a I am doing some other maintenance. 

Morning  easybeeks

You can probably see if you have it without removing the tank but you will definitely have to remove  (or at least lift rear of tank)  to see much of the ABS module or see if the brake lines  are still running into/out of it. 

Look up in front of the battery. 

2lFzi6K.jpg

Brucifer1150

Would it be possible/easier to see if the rear brake line was re-routed? If I remember the procedure correctly, you run a rear GS line directly to the rear cylinder.

37 minutes ago, Brucifer1150 said:

Would it be possible/easier to see if the rear brake line was re-routed? If I remember the procedure correctly, you run a rear GS line directly to the rear cylinder.

Morning  Brucifer1150

That only tells him IF the ABS module has been by-passed not if the ABS module has been removed from the motorcycle.

Without having to take the Tank off I looked on the left side in front of the battery to discover a gaping empty hole where I think the ABS Pressure Modulator on Integral ABS models, which my 2004 R1150RT is,  should live. In the Clymer manual on page 603, figure 145 the picture shows the Pressure Modulator which is missing on my bike. So I guess I have no ABS !!  If you tell me how to post a picture of this hole I will do so.

Brucifer1150
1 hour ago, easybeeks said:

Without having to take the Tank off I looked on the left side in front of the battery to discover a gaping empty hole where I think the ABS Pressure Modulator on Integral ABS models, which my 2004 R1150RT is,  should live. In the Clymer manual on page 603, figure 145 the picture shows the Pressure Modulator which is missing on my bike. So I guess I have no ABS !!  If you tell me how to post a picture of this hole I will do so.

At least for me (on Windows and Firefox), when I quoted you, there is a paperclip icon under the text window. Next to it is

"Drag files here to attach, or choose files...
Max total size 14.65MB "

Clicking on the link should bring up a new window that will allow you to choose a picture from you computer. You might have to navigate to the right folder where you store your pictures.

Here is an oil thread pic:

39 minutes ago, Brucifer1150 said:

At least for me (on Windows and Firefox), when I quoted you, there is a paperclip icon under the text window. Next to it is

"Drag files here to attach, or choose files...
Max total size 14.65MB "

Clicking on the link should bring up a new window that will allow you to choose a picture from you computer. You might have to navigate to the right folder where you store your pictures.

Here is an oil thread pic:

ABS Hole 2.JPG

ABS Hole 3.JPG

That looks to me like most of the iABS module is gone, but part is still there, plugged into that large black connector. This is exactly what I did to my '03 R1150RT: removed the defective brick that contains the pumps, valves, etc. and left the electronic control module, which controls the functioning of the tail and brake lights. It appears that your electronics module is wrapped with black tape. If you don't hear a continual once-per-second clicking coming from the fuse box, it's almost certain the ABS relay has been removed from there. That would take care of one of the two red ABS lights in the dashboard.

Thanks to all for the help and education on my "new" 2004 R1150RT and the ABS issue. Have also discovered that the Charcoal cannister has been removed.