IGNORED

09 r1200rt head helicoils

MoteroNC

When doing my valve clearance check on my 09 r1200rt I noticed that where the valve cover screws connect there are helicoils on the engine side. Two of them are damaged. Has anyone run into this and if so know what tap or helicoil to use to repair it? Thank you

13 hours ago, MoteroNC said:

When doing my valve clearance check on my 09 r1200rt I noticed that where the valve cover screws connect there are helicoils on the engine side. Two of them are damaged. Has anyone run into this and if so know what tap or helicoil to use to repair it? Thank you

Morning  MoteroNC

Tell us more about the thread damage?  Or better yet post nice CLEAR close up pictures of the damage.

On the 1200rt,  the originals are not really helicoil's but more of a factory installed insert.  (I haven't ever had one out so I don't know if they are screw-in or cast-in during cyl head manufacturing) 

I have installed standard helicoil's on a couple of 1200 bikes but never tried a TimeSert as I was afraid the larger hole required for a TimeSert would destroy the factory insert & leave the hole too large for a proper TimeSert installation.  

You might start by chasing the original threads using a metric M6x1 tap to see if your original thread's will straighten out  (doubtful but definitely worth a try before going more aggressive)

Well I put the cover on so I am bit afraid to keep taking it out in case I need to drive to a garage. Maybe a bad idea!

its the top location intake side on the right side cylinder. There is no threads I noticed some shavings. On the top exhaust side I could clear see one thread coil coming out and was able to rotate it back in. This is why I thought they were helicoils. I have seen some MOA posts and they seem to be talking about helicoils as well. If photos are the only good way to get an assessment I can certainly try.

The attached photo is from the procedure I was following and the good ones look like it. I see a different color in the thread area than in the sorrounding metal which makes me think it is some kind of insert

IMG_0378.PNG

19 minutes ago, MoteroNC said:

The attached photo is from the procedure I was following and the good ones look like it. I see a different color in the thread area than in the sorrounding metal which makes me think it is some kind of insert

Morning  MoteroNC

Yes, the 1200 hexhead uses some type of a non removable insert from the factory, if you have threads coming out (that can screw back in) that more sounds like someone might have already installed a helicoil  (or similar) in that hole. (unless what you have is just the original stripped threads coming out)

You REALLY need to know what you have in there NOW before making a decision on what to do next. 

As you can see, the area around the threaded area is pretty darn thin so not much room to recover from a mistake.

Any idea if they are M6x1.0 inserts? One of my local friends installs helicoils regularly so I was going to seek his help just hoping to narrow down what threads. I will try to carefully open and take photos also

4 minutes ago, MoteroNC said:

Any idea if they are M6x1.0 inserts? One of my local friends installs helicoils regularly so I was going to seek his help just hoping to narrow down what threads. I will try to carefully open and take photos also

Morning  MoteroNC

Should be M6x1 threads in the factory inserts but verify by measuring the threads on one of the valve cover bolts before installing a helicoil.

Remember those holes in the cylinder head are blind so make sure to use a depth stop on the drill bit so you don't drill in too deep & ruin the head. 

This is what I am ended doing to resolve it

- clean hole with .25 drill bit.

- tap hole with tool provided on 6Mx1 helicoil repair kit which I purchased in autozone.

- install 6 mm helicoil using install tool provided in kit.

the rest was just following valve cover installation guide but I decided to not torque with tool but rather hand tight. Cross fingers but so far no oil leak