IGNORED

2004 alternator belt question

bacos

So, I'm confused.

Everything I read here - unless I'm missing something - says that a 2004 1150 uses the elastomer belt.

I just took the cover off mine, and it's got a 4pk611 belt on it.

I have an '04 rockster sitting right next to it. it's clearly got an elastomer belt. It looks great, so based on everyone saying stuff here, I'm leaving it be. This belt ain't like that belt.

Were there '04 1150s that had the poly-v belt? Or did someone put the wrong belt on? How do I tell? It seems like from reading here that sometimes people put the wrong belt on and made it work somehow, and this bike's past isn't entirely clear now (new to me).

the belt looks fine. no fraying, no cracks, etc. I'd be inclined to leave it alone. or is that folly?

I have one of those dayco belts BB sells, which I was going to use on my previous RT... it's been on a shelf for 6 years now. Pitch or use? Do they have a shelf life?

25 minutes ago, bacos said:

So, I'm confused.

Everything I read here - unless I'm missing something - says that a 2004 1150 uses the elastomer belt.

I just took the cover off mine, and it's got a 4pk611 belt on it.

I have an '04 rockster sitting right next to it. it's clearly got an elastomer belt. It looks great, so based on everyone saying stuff here, I'm leaving it be. This belt ain't like that belt.

Were there '04 1150s that had the poly-v belt? Or did someone put the wrong belt on? How do I tell? It seems like from reading here that sometimes people put the wrong belt on and made it work somehow, and this bike's past isn't entirely clear now (new to me).

the belt looks fine. no fraying, no cracks, etc. I'd be inclined to leave it alone. or is that folly?

I have one of those dayco belts BB sells, which I was going to use on my previous RT... it's been on a shelf for 6 years now. Pitch or use? Do they have a shelf life?

Afternoon  bacos

A 2004 1150 what?  Is it an R, RT, S, RS, etc, that might make a difference. 

There were few 2004  1150 bikes (built in 2003) that were equipped with a free-wheeling alternator pulley, that came from the factory with the poly-v belt.  Those are supposed to be updated to the elastomer belt at first belt change. (BMW service bulletin on this)

If your alternator has a free-wheeling belt pulley then it is suppose to have the elastomer belt.

Also, look (feel) on the very bottom of the plastic front belt cover for a small raised  triangle. If your cover has that (& the cover is original) then the engine is supposed to have the elastomer belt.

2004 R1150RT, sorry. I assumed it'd be all the same.

Now that I searched differently on the board, I found your other post on the topic. MaxBMW fiche says this bike was produced 04/03. The pulley looks like the poly one, solid basic pulley. headstamp says 04/03. no raised triangle. So it looks like it's the right belt. From what little I can tell from the service records it's got 20k on it but 10 years. Looks fine, but... replace it while I've got the whole thing apart, I guess?

2 hours ago, bacos said:

2004 R1150RT, sorry. I assumed it'd be all the same.

Now that I searched differently on the board, I found your other post on the topic. MaxBMW fiche says this bike was produced 04/03. The pulley looks like the poly one, solid basic pulley. headstamp says 04/03. no raised triangle. So it looks like it's the right belt. From what little I can tell from the service records it's got 20k on it but 10 years. Looks fine, but... replace it while I've got the whole thing apart, I guess?

Afternoon  bacos

7/03 build date was the general changeover date to the elastomer belt with free-wheeling pulley  but there were  some outliers. No free-wheeling pulley & no raised triangle tells you all you need to know. 

I've  got an early 04 RT without the freewheeling pulley.  When I go for a belt for my bike I always tell them it's an 03 instead of arguing with them about which belt it should have.

• Like 1