IGNORED

Pondering a ride to Shiloh battlefield in June. Any advice?

Im thinking of taking a ride to the Shiloh Battlefield in Tennessee in June. Im leaving from Los Angeles. Any advice?

I may drop down to the Vicksburg Battlefield and go home from there.

roadscholar
2 hours ago, RTJohn said:

Im thinking of taking a ride to the Shiloh Battlefield in Tennessee in June. Im leaving from Los Angeles. Any advice?

I may drop down to the Vicksburg Battlefield and go home from there.

If you go to Vicksburg afterwards and haven't done it before I'd take the Natchez-Trace Parkway, it almost connects the two. It's not fast or particularly exciting but it is scenic and has a lot of history. And commercial traffic isn't allowed which is a nice reprieve.  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natchez_Trace

Shiloh is a great destination and huge. Very impressive.  

Don’t know your intended route but in NW Arkansas there are two cool Civil War battlefields worth your consideration. Prairie Grove and Pea Ridge. Maybe on your return trip you could detour a bit and check them out. Not anywhere near as large as Shiloh or Vicksburg. Situated just west of Eureka Springs AR. you would also experience some of the best riding roads in this part of the country. 

012F5C21-E4E7-4B0B-97F5-5F092E76CDD5.jpeg

Yeeha Stephen

Keep an eye on the website. You can drive thru  but most of the facilities are closed...  including the restrooms!

Open: All roads, trails, Shiloh National Cemetery, Shiloh Indian Mounds, Corinth Contraband Camp, and Battery Robinett.
Closed: Shiloh Visitor Center, Corinth Civil War Interpretive Center, bookstores, restrooms, visitor center parking area, Shiloh picnic area.   

If you make it to the Trace, you might check this. 10 miles South of the Meriwether Lewis N Monument (on the East side of the Trace) there a short section of the "Old Trace" they have left in near original condition so you can see what it was like to ply your way long the Trace. One-way road is a one-lane, chip sealed path thru the woods and is very scenic.

I watched Grant on TV this week and it has upped my desire to go back and see the area. I'm gonna wait till the Virus is a little more on it's way out though.

Have fun!

SS

20190616_091151_Richtone(HDR) (640x360).jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, and just south of Shiloh in Corinth MS is a Honda dealership that has a pretty cool museum. It’s small but tasty, Hondawise. 

On 5/25/2020 at 1:03 AM, roadscholar said:

If you go to Vicksburg afterwards and haven't done it before I'd take the Natchez-Trace Parkway, it almost connects the two. It's not fast or particularly exciting but it is scenic and has a lot of history.

Another vote for the Natchez Trace. Here is a link to a photo album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/nXrGMnn4g1pTVsPB7

The Windsor Ruins are worth a small detour. Spooky place.

At the north end of the Trace, a pilgrimage to the Loveless Cafe is a must-see. Be prepared to set a spell. Not recommended if you are on a low-cholesterol diet.

image.thumb.png.01e05fd3fce1913a30f6055bf9a334b6.png

I stopped and explored Vicksburg when I rode the Great River Road from Minnesota a couple of years back.  Very neat place.  i-MBFBKdJ-X2.jpg

• Like 1

I appreciate all the feedback. I'm thinking I should wait now. I went through Death Valley a few weeks ago. Everything was closed. Gas stations and hotels were open but that was it.

Ill make it one of these days.

• 2 weeks later...