IGNORED

How do you hang blinds on fiberglass sidelights?

Joe Frickin' Friday

Joe Frickin' Friday

Just got a new front door with sidelights installed a few days ago, and want to install my old blinds on the sidelights.  The sidelight panels are fiberglass, with I guess a foam core.  The brackets for the blinds come with ordinary #8 wood screws, and I'm concerned about these holding in the vinyl.  

What's the best way to attach these brackets to the fiberglass?  Some kind of expanding anchor, like a molly screw?  My other thought is a piece of aluminum, 1/4" thick, 1" tall and running the full 10" width of the blind, attached to the sidelight's fiberglass panel with good double-sided tape.  The aluminum would be drilled/tapped in the right spots for installing the brackets.  

If you've got any ideas, please toss 'em out here...

szurszewski

I've not used them, but I've had a few sets of blinds I've installed for others come with adhesive mounting tape/squares in the packaging. If yours are small and fairly light, I'd consider that; particularly if these are blinds you don't open/close often - are the pieces you're attaching the blinds to painted? 

Your idea of a including a mounting bar sounds like more fun and probably more secure, but I'm way lazy...

One of my good friends sells/installs blinds for a career. If you are going to open and close them he told me to always assist the blinds up and down In the center and not depend on the cords alone regardless of length. With you not being able to use screws I would be especially gentle. I know you will clean the surface well b4 applying the double sided tape. Good luck and here’s to hoping they don’t come crashing down on their own in the middle of the night. Good luck. 

Do you really need the blinds,....reason I ask is if you just want them to allow light through but not "see" through, put a window film on it.  Our bedroom window that faces the street has these on it.  Allows the light through but you can't see through.......also allows for a "cleaner" look on the inside as there' no curtains or blinds,.....just a window.  If you want/must actually see through the window, disregard.

Gila 36 in. x 78 in. Fleur-de-Lis Privacy Decorative Door and Window Film

• Like 1