IGNORED

Test for Hall Sensor

LBump

Reference:  2005 BCR 20K on the Odometer.

Bike just had a new Odyssey Battery installed.

Seventy miles into a ride the bike starts to sputter... then quit.

Battery went dead not from excessive cranking.

I'm thinking it might be the sensor...??

Thanks for any input.

9 minutes ago, LBump said:

Reference:  2005 BCR 20K on the Odometer.

Bike just had a new Odyssey Battery installed.

Seventy miles into a ride the bike starts to sputter... then quit.

Battery went dead not from excessive cranking.

I'm thinking it might be the sensor...??

Thanks for any input.

Afternoon   LBump

We need more info on your problem. Was the battery dead when the motorcycle started sputtering & stopped running?

Hall sensor (HES) has nothing to do with the battery going dead unless it went dead from excessive cranking. 

Why was the battery replaced to begin with?

Lots of possibilities depending on battery SOC at time of engine quit & if the battery was being charged properly from the alternator correctly. 

Tell us the full & complete  story on your problem then we can probably help you. 

Battery was replaced because of a time issue and it needed to be replaced.  Also, this particular 1100S has the smaller alternator.  No ABS, no heated grips.

I realize the HES has nothing to do with the battery being dead. 

After the sputtering, the engine quit...  I pulled to the shoulder of the road and initiated to start the engine.  The battery was able to turn over the engine, but after a short time the battery lost its' power. There wasn't excessive cranking.  I tried may three or four times giving some time in between each attempt. By the forth time it was gone.  So, I decided to see if a bump start (no pun intended) would work since I was on a hill.  Nope that didn't work either.  After some time I got a tow and the bike is back home and on a battery tender.

17 minutes ago, LBump said:

Battery was replaced because of a time issue and it needed to be replaced.  Also, this particular 1100S has the smaller alternator.  No ABS, no heated grips.

I realize the HES has nothing to do with the battery being dead. 

After the sputtering, the engine quit...  I pulled to the shoulder of the road and initiated to start the engine.  The battery was able to turn over the engine, but after a short time the battery lost its' power. There wasn't excessive cranking.  I tried may three or four times giving some time in between each attempt. By the forth time it was gone.  So, I decided to see if a bump start (no pun intended) would work since I was on a hill.  Nope that didn't work either.  After some time I got a tow and the bike is back home and on a battery tender.

Afternoon  LBump

The later oilhead bikes don't have many HES issues like the  earlier 1100 motorcycles but every once in a while they do fail.

Were you riding in the rain?  Or possibly just recently washed the motorcycle? As a rule an HES doesn't fail while riding unless water was recently involved.

See if the engine starts after a good battery charge, if so we can work from there.

If it cranks & still won't start then you will need to check for spark, check for injector spray, possibly even do a fuel return flow test. (the high pressure "U" hose in the fuel tank might have split) 

How long before it started sputtering did you fill the fuel tank?