IGNORED

Buying a low mileage 2014 RT? What to look for

SlowRideOhio

SlowRideOhio

Hi All,

I'm considering buying a 2014 RT with under 5000 miles.  Seller says it is recently serviced, so I'll need to ask him specifics about what was done.

Are there any gotcha's to buying a bike seldom ridden like this? 

I would imagine it needs new tires.  I would think the battery has been replaced.

As long as the engine oil has been changed, and the brakes flushed recently, what else should I look for?

Thanks, 

Dean

2007 RT 

You seem to be covering the bases. Do ask to see documentation of service and recalls.

You may want to look at the air filter, it could be that the paper element is starting to dry root after all those years.

Also look for any damage due to vermin or mice. 

32 minutes ago, Bernie said:

You may want to look at the air filter, it could be that the paper element is starting to dry root after all those years.

Also look for any damage due to vermin or mice. 

good idea, but be prepared to remove 15 body panels to see the air filter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a 2014 and its been perfect. Never missed a beat. There are no inherent problems with the bike.

• Like 1

There was a few problems with water pumps leaking.  First check the level of fluid, then look up the left side of the engine and find the weep-hole. If it is leaking you will see some dribbles of antifreeze. It wasn't wide spread and more of an annoyance than an issue.  Make sure they did the rear shock recall - that one is important. That's about it.  Mine has been near perfect and now has 25K miles.

SlowRideOhio

Thanks for all of your suggestions.  I am planning on seeing it Saturday.

I'll ask about the rear shock, and I'll check the weep hole.  And look for any dry rot/mice evidence.

Judging by the pictures, it looks like it was kept in a nice garage the entire time.

I'll post an update after I look at it.

Dean

Based on my experience, I would have the owner pull the valve covers and inspect the cam lobes for premature wear. Even with low milage, this problem has been reported by several forum posters. You did not mention if the bike is covered by an extended warranty, so I assume not. If abnormal wear is present, you're looking at a very expensive (4K at least) "gotcha" and possibly a protracted fight with BMWMOA for an out-of-warranty repair. The procedure is easy, even for someone who does not do their own maintenance. A quick You Tube search will  reveal several videos showing the procedure in great detail.

I bought new a 2014 and it's been great. Not one single issue at all. It did have the new shock already when I bought it.

No issues...A great machine.

Tactical 1

If it hasn't been to the dealer for awhile and/or nobody updated the computers on the bike, might be worth having it done - only a dealer can do it and BMW has issued several updates to the different control modules. I believe the dealer can print before and after module readings. As I recall, there was an update to gearshift pro (GSAP) that was done early in the ownership of my '14.

Also might be worth checking the final drive splines - multiple threads on them; mine had a bit of rust on the splines despite no pressure washings, water crossings, etc.

If the purchase includes the GPS Navigator V/VI, make sure the owner releases ownership with Garmin so you can get map/software updates. My memory is a bit fuzzy, but as I recall, Garmin needed the ownership to be updated. There is also some consideration on the aging of the tires - some say 5 years but I suspect the bike has been covered so that may not be too serious although the rubber has aged - I'd probably get fresh shoes on her for peace of mind.

She's a great ride and you'll certainly enjoy her. Concur with the above suggestions from the others as well - 

SlowRideOhio

I was too slow.  Somebody picked it up Saturday morning.  It was Quartz Blue, near Indianapolis, had only 1078 miles!

I will keep looking.

Dean