IGNORED

New to BMW - base gasket leak

ST-Tim

Hello all

Just purchased my first BMW!  It is a 2011 R1200RT.  Has only 50,000kms on it.  Been riding a Honda ST 1300 for the last 9 years, so thought it was time for an update to some newer technology.  But I have not been too impressed with my new ride!  Took it to a local bike shop to get it Safety checked to register it in my name.  They discovered it has a leaking base gasket on the left cylinder.  So it would not pass the safety.  They did not think they had the experience to repair this motor, so suggested I take it to a BMW dealer.  The closest dealer is about an hour away in Ajax, Ontario.  I spoke to the service manager there, and he advised that they lost their mechanic over the winter and only have an apprentice working and he does not have the skill to fix this issue.

So i guess I have some questions for all you BMW riders.  Is this a common problem?  The previous owner tells me he had no idea it had this problem and there was never an oil puddle under is bike.  So, he probably has been riding it like this since his last service 10,000 Km’s ago.  Is this something I should get fixed immediately?  Or can i ride it for a while, just keep an eye on the oil level and get it fixed in the fall?  Should I just clean up the oil showing around the cylinder and take it to a different mechanic where it will pass the safety check and can then register the bike and ride?  How expensive or difficult will this be to fix?  Should I try to take it to a different dealer, there is one in Toronto about two hours from me.  Or can any competent bike mechanic with BMW experience fix this?

I’m just so disappointed with my first BMW.  I’m sure once I can ride it, I’ll be happier and less stressed about purchasing a defective motorcycle.  Here’s a couple of photos of my new ride, and a couple the mechanic took of the oil around the cylinder.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

7FABCC3C-DCE8-4A86-93B5-218F38AFD388.jpeg

4C9656BA-A1D9-4A7E-A06C-38280C415BCF.jpeg

09A8B639-3837-481F-8D4E-CFF4E353516B.jpeg

49CD1BF3-4938-42A5-AB98-B6DE497D8051.jpeg

That's been leaking for awhile.  I doubt its the base gasket and if they didn't pull the Tupperware, its just a guess on their part. I would suspect a cam chain tensioner as its more likely but that's just a guess based on past experience.  I'd take it to the dealer in Toronto if your not mechanically inclined and have them take a look. 

• Like 3

I agree with MikeB60.   I recommend you pull the Tupperware on that side and clean the leak up real well  then go for a ride of about 15 - 20 minutes.  When you get back, s The source of the leak should become obvious.  If it is the tensioner just get a torque wrench and set the correct torque (45 NM).  The 2011's were notorious for having these only loosely installed on the left side.   

• Like 2

Hi Tim - Welcome to the board! Nice looking RT - I have a 06 & 2010.

Sorry you're having this issue - like the others have said, i think you should remove the tupperware and get everything cleaned up and then ride it to pinpoint the source - take some pictures before you clean it up, and then again after you ride it and post them.

Here's a video that goes over removing the tupperware. If you do not have any Torx bit tools - you'll need some. BTW - you can ride the bike without the bodywork. :18:

Good luck, we'll look for your photos.

• Like 1

PS...BTW, didn't mean to sound all doom and gloom with my reply. If it is the main seal, I'm guessing it's about a six hour job for a competent BMW mechanic. My 05 never had an issue again after the replacement seal was installed. The GS I mentioned was brand new and the dealer swapped it out for another GS, no issues with the new one. So, guess what I'm trying to say is even if worse case and it's the RMS, the fix is usually permanent and these bikes are pretty reliable. :thumbsup: NICE looking, welcome and keep us informed.

edit...another PS :grin:, see if the seller is willing to split the repair costs with you.

Hello internet mechanic gurus

Did some more research after reading your responses.  Found this video helpful:

Do I went to work on the Beemer today.  When I opened the trailer it is stored in, I saw a small oil stain on the floor under the left cylinder.  It was only about two inches across.  And when I loaded the bike in the trailer yesterday I hardly even let the bike warm up.  I’m beginning to disbelieve the previous owner that there was never a oil puddle in his garage...

So today, I followed your advice.  I pulled off the Tupperware on the left side.  Took some new photos of the oil leak and  staining that I found.  I then cleaned the area around the base of the left cylinder with engine degreaser.  Washed it all off and then started the bike and let it warm up.  A small puddle of oil developed on the floor under the back of the left cylinder.  I took some photos of the leak that could be seen.  It seemed to be coming from the cam chain tensioner cover bolt!   I washed it again.  Then managed to get a wrench on the bolt head.  (Thanks for mentioning the correct torque specs for this bolt, but how would I ever get a torque wrench on this?  I could barely get a long 15 mm box end wrench on it.). I did tighten it about an eighth of a turn.   I then started the bike and let it warm up.  No more apparent oil leak.  Let it run a while.  No drips, no puddle.  Took some more photos.

i think the mechanic that told me it was the cylinder base gasket had no experience with these bmw’s.  (Or he is an idiot...)

So, I put the Tupperware back on and put bike back in the trailer.  Placed a drip cloth under the area where the oil stain was.  Did I miss anything?  Did I get lucky and fix my problem?

Thanks to all that responded, and the great advice.  These forums are great!  I have been a member of the ST-Owners forum since I bought the Honda.  It was a great resource.  This forum is just as great so far!  Glad to be part of the BMW community now.

7DC3FFFF-504D-437F-B3A5-93175D3CB50F.jpeg

2CD54A29-3FB4-4FE3-8853-346091DC6FCC.jpeg

19EC1C9C-0BAF-43A6-BADE-B3613AC6F7D7.jpeg

B770216B-57AB-4BB7-BF40-030AC74F6EAF.jpeg

47D2A693-6214-4265-A400-F6FD5A114E2C.jpeg

8F28B743-FB1F-4909-9AC2-4EC2E13A09BB.jpeg

EEAB248B-A81B-4930-9C38-5118E3EFDA39.jpeg

C21C6532-6ECA-48CF-850C-CF153E1B2079.jpeg

97F1D4C8-FA84-46A4-AE4F-17FD68E293FC.jpeg

D69F2A5C-CC07-4727-AE76-AF63BCD46357.jpeg

FDFA7AD5-48E1-496A-845E-912F41B0D040.jpeg

FFB556CB-B0DD-4171-860A-44FCC8304434.jpeg

88E67AB1-85C3-44CC-ABE2-C62558DFC348.jpeg

• Like 3

Good evening and welcome to the Board.

It's nothing new about the cam chain tensioners leaking. It's a little difficult to get to it and for some reason they start leaking. 

Especially bikes that haven't been used much like to leak. Clean it up and go ride it.

You maybe able to get a Crowfoot socket in there to use a torque wrench, or just keep an eye on it.

I don't know about you mechanic, he may have just drawn a quick conclusion, knowing that he wasn't really interested in doing the repairs.

Or maybe he was just trying to scare you into an expensive repair. But not too many folks are familiar with these bikes or motors.

• Like 1

Congrats! Lot of us have put a lot of  miles  SMILES of these bikes! If you had it in for a emissions inspection - I doubt he would have taken off the plastic. Glad it all worked out. Ride and enjoy!

Excellent news.  Oil leaks on these bikes are uncommon unless there is damage or it is an 11 with a loose cam chain tensioner.  Yes it is difficult to torque.  I forgot that I had modified a crows-foot for the job.  But your tightening was probably sufficient.  The seal is a crush washer and you just need to get a little crush going.  I bought mine with 10,000 miles on it and sold it with 80,000 miles.  Like you, i discovered the leak in the first days of ownership.  Once I made the repair, it never leaked again.

Good on you for doing your own work.  The most difficult (time consuming) job on this bike is the clutch and or rear main seal, but even that is within the realm of most shade tree mechanics.  Other than Tupperware, the GS and RT have a lot in common.  Jim von Badden has a series of do it yourself videos that I found helpful.  http://jvbproductions.com/

• Like 1