IGNORED

Headlight modulator

ridesmith

On what bike?

I have install the Kisan on several different R11XXxx models and on our R1200GS, all with no issues.

Come to think of it, I've put them on KGT and KRSs too.

Generally they just plug in, plus you mount a little photosensor somewhere so the unit knows when to return the high beam to normal operation. Nothing to it.

I installed a Kisan on my 06 R12RT. When active flashing, the high beam our indicator flashes but goes out when not active (low light). I flip the headlight adjustor to the low position when driving during the day to reduce the high beam flash in the rear view mirrors of vehicles that I am following. Buckster

I've got a Kisan on the RT (came with it), but on my 1200 sportster I mounted a Signal Dynamics headlamp modulator. It's a small box with a toggle switch on it (mounted it on side of chrome cover of ignition coil) so you can turn it off, a max auto position, and a nova auto postion. The web address is www.signaldynamics.com out of ft. lauderdale, FL, ph.# 1-800-785-1814. One of the best features I like with this modulator is that after dusk, when the sensor shuts off the modulator, it retains a safety feature at night. I live in SW Florida and ride in city traffic a lot. People pull out in front of you a lot or turn left in front of you and then kill you- simple as that. If I am riding at night and see some cage driver looking like he is gonna pull out in front of me, I toot the horn- this strobes the modulator at night for a couple of seconds. This is a very effective tool for night driving. I also purchased their back-off brake module and mounted it on top of the Harley's swingarm.

Wolcott,

Do you know if the horn/modulator connection is still available?

I was under the impression that the nighttime modulation is not supported on current SignalDynamic models. They may have pulled the feature to be in compliance with the Federal regulations.

Alanz: I just did a quick check on the www.signaldynamics.com site and could not find my old brand of headlight modulator. It was called the "Diamond Star" modulator. Be advised that the headlight did not continuously modulate at night- it was just a safety feature they had called the "Heads-Up Alert". When you pressed your horn button, it just strobed the headlamp for a couple of seconds and caught the attention of those who were thinking of pulling out in front of you. I would send them an e-mail or call them. I don't see why they would drop a great safety feature, but like I say, on the new model, I see no mention of it.

Alanz: Out of curiousity I e-mailed signal dynamics. They e-mailed me back that they do not offer the "heads- up" feature anymore. This is the feature on my headlamp modulator that I use ocassionally at night- (if someone looks like they are gonna pull out in front of you from a side street or whatever), you toot the horn and it strobes the headlamp for a couple of seconds. The e-mail said that the DOT got on them about that particular feature, even though it only does it for a couple of seconds. I'm glad I got an earlier version. With all the bikers that get killed/maimed every year, it's too bad that DOT made them get rid of that feature. The motor vehicle, motorcycle, bicycle, and pedestrian carnage here in SW Florida is hard to believe. In my county (lil over 500,000) our death rate in 2005 was worse than that of Chicago, according to local law enforcement.

Archived