IGNORED

Bugs with new RT

Herman

It's been 3 days since I picked up my new R1200RT, and so far I'm not impressed with the quality control. The radio does not work - the CD appears to be spinning all the time unless the unit is off - a replacement radio has been ordered. The grips are heated by just turning the key on - of course the heat switch is off(they appear to go off after sometime).

Anyone have seen these bugs before?

HectorR

I can't comment on the radio or CD issue as mine is not so equipped, but I can tell you that my heated grips certainly do not warm up when the switch is off under any circumstance.

No problems like that here. Are you sure the CD is spinning and it's not just the radio fan? (I wonder how you can tell the CD is spinning) As for the heated grips, no issue here or anywhere that I have heard on that one, but I sure love mine when I need them.

SageRider

After 3 days (and 900 miles) my RT is just fine. (but I don't have the radio...)

Hope your luck improves.

John Bentall

Does the radio have to be programmed for the US? Your dealer should know.

It might well be the radio fan that you are hearing not the CD spinning - as previously mentioned.

The grips problem is very unusual, to say the least.

All of these problems(?) ought to have been picked up in the dealer PDI - but will be corrected at the 600 mile service anyway.

KiwiAdventure

Very minor. Just get it fixed and ride the bike. The dealer should have checked that all items did work. Give him a slap and move on.

Your next post should be on how good your last ride was wave.gif

Isn't the radio/CD rubbish even when it is working?

Apparently so. When I was doing my 'homework' in preparation for buying a new RT, I discovered that many folks felt the radio was crap. So, I ordered mine without a radio, just the 'radio prep kit'. So far, I haven't felt the need for the radio, and have removed the antenna.

lawnchairboy

no radio, no radio prep kit. Autocom/XM Myfi and 7700 problem free happy miles...

chris

I've had my RT for two weeks now. Love the radio. (haven't tried the CD) Picked up a hockey game 200 miles away the other night so no problems with reception here in Calgary. Heated grips work fine too and really come in 'handy' here in April!

I didn't know about the radio fan - always on? (not good for when listening in a quiet garage. I know, I should be riding instead). One problem with the radio is that it seems as if the antenna is not connected - only 1 station tunes in, very weakly. Even the dealer checked it out but could not make it go; thus, he ordered a new radio which is due in tomorrow. As for the grips, they heat up when I turn the key on, but seem to go off when the bike is started.

On the other hand, I'm pleased with the handling.

John Bentall

There were earthing problems with the antenna - extra special attention must be paid.

If radio is on, the fan is on.

You listen in a quiet garage - what sort of music do you prefer when admiring your machine?

marcopolo

I've had my RT for 5 days now. No problems whatsoever with the grips. I have the radio/CD and I must say that it has worked much better than I had expected, given posts I have read on this Board. Radio reception is excellent, and the CD doesn't skip (so far), though I have to be honest here and admit that I wear ear plugs and can't hear the music a good part of the time. If you're wondereing why I bought it, I didn't. I got it free after the bike I ordered arrived without ESA and the dealer got another one, but it also had the radio, which he threw in free to correct the first screw up. My radio does make the "whirring" noise too, which someone above said was a fan.

Can't resist another pic....

IMG_0005.jpg

put in my own radio and removed the fan as the box is closed anyway, no air intake so fan just adds heat. Heated grips are usually stopping to function not turning on by themselves (on previous bike) must be a connection or maybe the bike has been in the sun and the grips are hot grin.gif

Mine take some time to heat up actually. But seldom used here in the south. The mist fan would be better.

h

The mist fan would be better.

h

I actually saw two guys with mist fans rigged to their rides on American Inventor show. They didn't go through for some odd reason. frown.gif

Today I had the new radio installed, and now I can get a couple of FM stations (only), no AM at all. The tech worked on it for about 4 hours. I think it's still an antenna problem. The new radio seems to confirm that. I'll tell them tomorrow that they need to spend more BMW warranty money.

If you're wondereing why I bought it, I didn't. I got it free after the bike I ordered arrived without ESA and the dealer got another one, but it also had the radio, which he threw in free to correct the first screw up. My radio does make the "whirring" noise too, which someone above said was a fan.

I think all RT's with the radio-CD are being sold like this. I ordered mine with ESA, and at the end couldnt get the bike with ESA but got a free radio-CD.

Yes, I am dissapointed with the CD player. I posted the following conversation to another topic, I am copying here :

I went to service for 600 mile service today, and told the technician the skip problem of the CD player. Here is the conversation :

Me- CD frequently skips, no need to go over a bump, just accelerating or decelerating fast is enough.

Tech- Everybody is happy with the CD player, we did not hear any complaints up to now

Me- Just take a test ride and see it by yourself. On the other hand, I heard a lot of similar complaints on different websites !

Tech- We are not managing this place with internet rumors, there is no CD skipping problem.

Me - I dont care what others say, MY CD PLAYER SKIPS frequently!

Tech - Dont believe everything you heard on internet

Me- MY CD SKIPS frequently!

Tech- We are not managing this place with internet rumors, there is no CD skipping problem.

I was really pissed off. The techinician was so rude. I am going to report to BMW North America.

By the way, how much did you guys pay for 600 miles service? I paid $230 labor and $35 oil/filter, and thinking that there is something wrong with this. For 1200 RS and 1200GT, I paid around $170 for 6,000 miles services.

By the way, how much did you guys pay for 600 miles service? I paid $230 labor and $35 oil/filter, and thinking that there is something wrong with this.

I paid 215.00 for my wear in service. Sorry to hear about your dealer.

Archived