IGNORED

Lifting motorcycle from above

DaveTheAffable

DaveTheAffable

Sorry many of you haven't heard from me in a while. I am still Affable.

I'm curious if anyone has ever tried a hoisting, lifting from above, system for their R1200 RT.

Comments? Suggestions? Attachment points?

DaveTheAffable

The garage floor where it is parked has several cracks in it from earthquake damage. Rotating on a dolly would be difficult. Also, as many garages, space is at a premium.

I had a vision of being able to put the bike on its side stand, hoist it up 1 or 2 inches in the air, rotate180°, and set it back down again so that I don't have to back down the driveway on my departure.

Yes, that might seem like a lot of work. But the MacGyver in me was just thinking it through in my brain as a possibility.

Corazon de Pollo

One of the suspension workshops I've used in the past had such a system with one very beefy electric winch (I think it was in the 1,000kg range) and a system of pulleys. Bikes were usually lifted from two points: around the the steering head and the swingarm pivot. It was extremely sophisticated and it must have cost them a small fortune.

You could probably get the garage resurfaced, buy a dolly and still have some cash left instead.

Would it still be difficult to get the bike on/off a dolly?   If you can do that, then run the slings (or attach them) around to include the dolly with the bike on it.  Adds  a little weight to the equation, but it eliminates undue stress on the bike.  Just a thought.

Lots of commercially available and DIY videos on large turntables and cycle spinners. Have seen them in action at Anacortes WA and other communities with steep sloping driveways. 

dirtrider
4 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

I’m gonna go give this a try in a few minutes.

Morning TEWKS

That is how I usually spin them around but I do believe that you will find the larger BMW bikes aren't nearly as easy as she makes it look.  

• Like 1
Colorado Jeff

I've been around Mcycles nearly my entire life, with my first "paycheck" job at a motorcycle shop (Honda and Yamaha) when I was 14.  I've NEVER seen that before!  That's awesome.

And, that looks like my old '96 RS in the background!!

• Like 1

Ok, I’m not quite the man she thought I was but was able to spin the GS. :16:

The kickstand worked pretty hard, not sure I’d like to do that daily. A hard piece of plastic will help, my purple plate crumbled. :grin:

1F52578F-D433-40C6-AC01-671A4384E8CE.jpeg

• Like 1
dirtrider
3 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

The kickstand worked pretty hard, not sure I’d like to do that daily. A hard piece of plastic will help, my purple plate crumbled. :grin:

Morning TEWKS

The basic problem is that you are doing it in your garage with nobody watching. (no incentive)

You need to practice doing it with a group of your riding buddies watching you, that gives you that needed extra burst of strength to manhandle that thing around -- you can always  work the kinks out of your sore  back later when no-one is around. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Yeah, I wouldn’t want to subject the stand to that on a regular basis. The impress the friend trick every now and again, sure. :thumbsup: Don’t think I’d try the RT though.

2 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Yeah, I wouldn’t want to subject the stand to that on a regular basis. The impress the friend trick every now and again, sure. :thumbsup: Don’t think I’d try the RT though.

I had the same thought, but then I remembered using "furniture sliders" to move couches and fully-loaded file cabinets.  It is amazing how little friction there is between teflon and the floor, and the fiber pad on top would be perfect to grab a sidestand foot.  

3 hours ago, TEWKS said:

I’m gonna go give this a try in a few minutes.

Did not pay attention to a single thing she did, but enjoyed watching!!

Anyway, I had something my old neighbor gave to me that was made with a lazy susan ring and machined aluminum that was slightly wider than the centerstand.   Park bike over it, centerstand down, balance a twist and you're now facing the opposite direction.

8 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Did not pay attention to a single thing she did, but enjoyed watching!!

She was selling Tupperware, right? Oh, Ginsu Cutlery? No...:grin:

5 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

She was selling Tupperware, right? Oh, Ginsu Cutlery? No...:grin:

She coulda been selling prostate exams and fingernail pulls and I'da bought one

• Haha 1
DaveTheAffable

Good suggestions and comments my friends!

Ultimately, like someone said, the repair to the garage floor might be the best thing.

Dave,

Unless you have some really strong rafters or trusses in the overhead, or can install some extra reinforcement, I'd think twice about hitching a 600 lb anything to it.  The attachment point would need some consideration, too.  Need to spread out the loading. 

The floor needs replacing anyway, if nothing else for the value of the house.  I wouldn't try any patching or overlay, reflective cracking is inevitable.  Complete removal, thorough compaction of the base soil and re-pour the concrete floor with a 5 inch thick slab and crack control joints on 15 ft max spacing and a square pattern.  Proper curing of the concrete is critical to prevent a soft surface.

Send me a PM if you have questions, glad to help.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

I've got a 2 foot by 2 foot piece of luan 1/8" plywood.  Threw some play sand on the garage floor under it.  Put bike on centerstand on the plywood and it spins on its little ball bearings.  The 2012 RTs have to have some pressure put on the back to get the front tire off the ground, still pretty easy though.  Problem if you have a painted floor.

I'd try that with my RT, but not enough room between it and the Infiniti next to it.  Very cool trick though!

• 1 month later...
On 5/8/2020 at 6:53 AM, TEWKS said:

It's all fun and games until somebody busts a kickstand safety switch... :5146: