IGNORED

Total number of R1100RT sold

Miguel!

54,751 from 1995-2001, worldwide I presume.  I found this while looking for something else. Click on the spec sheet at the bottom of the page. Thought you'd might find it interesting. 

BTW, it states 50 mpg US. I typically get 42 mpg and have never gotten 50 mpg tho I'm not a fanatic about tracking it, just find it interesting.

Be safe and wash your hands

Miguel

Warren Dean
1 hour ago, Miguel! said:

54,751 from 1995-2001, worldwide I presume.  I found this while looking for something else. Click on the spec sheet at the bottom of the page. Thought you'd might find it interesting. 

BTW, it states 50 mpg US. I typically get 42 mpg and have never gotten 50 mpg tho I'm not a fanatic about tracking it, just find it interesting.

Be safe and wash your hands

Miguel

The national speed limit back then was 55 mph, if I recall correctly. I bet you could get closer to 50 mpg at that speed.  :18:

• Like 1
dirtrider
12 minutes ago, Warren Dean said:

The national speed limit back then was 55 mph, if I recall correctly. I bet you could get closer to 50 mpg at that speed.  :18:

Afternoon Warren

I think about 1995 the  National Maximum Speed Law (55mph)  was repealed.  

I'm not sure how BMW figured the motorcycle fuel mileage back then as  I don't think there was much of a standard testing schedule  for motorcycles back then.

Most likely it was a combined city/highway with 50 mph used as the highway speed. 

• Like 1

While the limits went up on interstate freeways, states like Oregon kept the 55 mph limit on all state highways until just recently.  Only a few state highways in the sparsely populated east side of the state are 65.  The rest are still 55.  Other states may have done the same.

I was unable to find a similar page/specs for the R1150RT but I just did a quick search. 

Miguel

Warren Dean
5 hours ago, Selden said:

I read once that only 500 Boston Green RTs were imported into the USA. Best color ever!

I love my Amarena Red RT, but that Boston Green is drop-dead gorgeous.  :18:

Personally, I've always loved the Glacier Green R1100RT tho I've never seen one in person. Even better than my Opal Blue which I like a lot as well. (Note that I flipped my bike image horizontally so the bikes are in same orientation so my decal is backwards and the brake reservoir is on the wrong side, there's no side stand, the brake pedal is shown rather than shifter and the exhaust is gone. Probably some other things wrong as well but I was just trying to highlight the colors.)

Miguel

image.png

2001 BMW R1100RT, small.jpg

On the gas mileage being optimistic, I am sure it was overstated from real world numbers.  If it was anything like the mileage statements put on automobiles in those years, the gas mileage numbers were fluffed up by putting the vehicle on a test stand with no wind resistance as well and gentle application of the throttle.  Mine being one those rare Boston Green units, never got anywhere near the stated gas mileage because it is fastest color for the R1100RT and the fun dial was set to maximum too often.  I think my open road mileage on my R1100RT was around 38 or 39 MPG, maybe as low as 32-34 MPG if it was a full day of riding frisky.