IGNORED

Need a laptop for shop use...what features should I look for?

migrant

For the record, I've searched for info but computer specs are like a foreign language to me.

I've resisted having a laptop for bike maintenance, but after buying my current RT it seems necessary for GS-911 and referencing drawings and procedures. I could get by with my phone but there may be times when I need to view a DVD (if I spring for the BMW disc). 

This device will be dedicated to my shop, won't be used for games, making spreadsheets, etc. I'll use it to watch maintenance YouTube videos, JVB, etc. and interface with my GS-911 and HexCan.

Looking to spend less than $300, would consider refurbished if from a reputable company.

Here are the features I believe are needed:

Windows 7 through 10 (Mac is too $$, Chrome won't work)

WiFi to connect to our home router

DVD reader, usb port

Not sure what processor, GB of RAM, etc. Something that will work and be supported with customer service is all I'm asking.

Any other features I should shop for? Brands? 

Thanks for your help.

Memory, memory, memory, RAM that is. I’m old, so a lighted keyboard is a very nice thing. Besides that, an extra large hard drive. Shop for price apples to apples. Good luck. 

An external DVD drive can be had for $25-$40, connecting via USB, so you do not need to limit your search to laptops with that increasingly rare feature.

Reinforcing your choice of Windows, the BMW DVD works only with Windows.  I think it can still be transferred to the computer so the external drive does not need to be hooked up all the time. Windows 7 will do everything you require, but any new machine will probably be Windows 10 Home. I'd avoid Windows 10 S mode, which restricts you to apps only from the Microsoft Store.

I'd ask friends and family if they have an older laptop sitting in a closet. Computers tend to be replaced for faster models rather than because they quit working.  A shop can be a rough environment, so I like to use an older computer to reduce the loss  of damage. Your requirements are pretty basic, so processor speed is not critical.  I'd want at least 64 Gb of storage and 4Gb of memory, but it would be hard to find a laptop with less. More is always better.  I usually like big screens, but in the shop where my computer has to share limited workbench space or might be balanced on the bike as I work, I use either my 10" netbook or an old 13" laptop. 

You might also take a look at the Dell Outlet.  I've gotten some good deals on their scratch&dent models. Out of three purchases, only one had a minor scratch on the bottom, the other two had no flaw that I could find.

I second the Dell Outlet. I've been using them for quite awhile.  Just keep an eye out.  Their deals go in spurts.  Once you know what specs you want, just check back once a week.

John Ranalletta

I've been very pleased with the Thinkpad line.  I just cascaded an 9 y/o unit to another user.  It's pretty big and clunk but with enough RAM and an SSD, it rips.

Since April '16, I've used a Thinkpad x1 Carbon.  Very nice as well and some are avialable refurbished. See below.  Buy from reputable vendor who will take returns if not satisfied.

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=lenovo+thinkpad+x1+carbon+refurbished

As mentioned the BMW DVD and JVB videos can be installed on the computer (from a USB storage device or exterior DVD).  Thread here: DVD Manual Activation.  The GS911 just requires a standard USB 2.0 or bluetooth.  Some newer laptops only have micro USB connections.  

The Dell Latitude 3190 would suit your needs (refurbs available for under $300USD) except they don't have a media slot so added memory (via USB device) will use up one of the two USB ports.  64 GB RAM would probably suit your needs.  

Other options include Lenovo, HP and ASUS (Vivo FlipBook 12). 

I have an older version of the FlipBook with 128GB RAM and a 128GB SDHC card which I use for all the above plus Garmin Basecamp and some basic photo editing (Photoshop Express) when I am on the road.  The Celeron processor is fine for the basic stuff but pretty sloooooowwww doing any photoediting.  

The Microsoft Surface series is too expensive for what you are looking for.   

Mike C

• Like 1

Given the working environment you describe, look for something with a spillproof keyboard. Optical drive isn't necessary, as you can copy documentation from a DVD on another device to a USB flash drive. I prefer refurbs to new, because they have gone through more thorough QC.

Migrant...I think others have covered it.  Good advice is hard drive not needed...buy external that will plug into USB port.  They are cheap and easy to replace if it dies.  There is one thing I insist on a laptop, but probably not available under $300 even used is SSD drive.  Bootup is almost instant and has the PC gets bogged down with security and other crap over the years SSD's are worth every penny versus a spinner.  Speed of wireless card matters too.  When you shop, see if you can find out which card it has and google it's speed.

• Thanks 1

Skywagon - if you are somewhat of a techie, then SSD is very highly recommended, not only because they are blazingly fast, but they will provide much better resistant to shock!  Drop your laptop from a reasonable height, with the normal magnetic hard drive, and chances are that the drive will crash and bye-bye to your data that might be recoverable at pretty high cost!

Anyway, the only reason that I am posting is to say that SSD drives are very much cheaper than $300!  I have a  1 Tb nVme format one in my desktop that I paid about $100.  The 500 Gb 2-1/2" format one in my laptop was around $60!

PadG agree with you...just suggesting that finding a used PC with SSD and other features for under $300 will be a tall order.

P.S,.... 40 years with a large PC mfg gives me a little bit of knowledge and a few patents :)

On 4/25/2020 at 8:02 PM, migrant said:

This device will be dedicated to my shop, won't be used for games, making spreadsheets, etc. I'll use it to watch maintenance YouTube videos, JVB, etc. and interface with my GS-911 and HexCan.

Do you have a Nav 5 or Nav 6 GPS?  If so, do you use it for planning long rides?  I know you ruled out Apple products, but you might reconsider if you use a NAV 5/6 on your RT.  The iOS version of Garmin Basecamp works much better than the Windows version.  And you can still run Windows on your Mac.  In fact, if you buy a cheap program called Parallels, you can hot swap between Windows and the Apple operating systems.  I use my MacBook Pro in the shop with GS911, and for route planning with Basecamp, and also for Zoom and Microsoft Teams conference calling.  It fits in my tailcase on long trips. I just looked, and found that you can buy a cheap factory refurb MacBook Pro on Amazon for $550.  

I was always a Windows guy... then I bought a MacBook Pro, and after some cursing, have discovered that it does some things really well that are always fussy on a PC.  There are good reasons to have both.  But a MacBook using an Intel processor can swap operating systems... and a Windows laptop can't.

1 hour ago, Cap said:

Do you have a Nav 5 or Nav 6 GPS?  If so, do you use it for planning long rides?  I know you ruled out Apple products, but you might reconsider if you use a NAV 5/6 on your RT.  The iOS version of Garmin Basecamp works much better than the Windows version.  And you can still run Windows on your Mac.  In fact, if you buy a cheap program called Parallels, you can hot swap between Windows and the Apple operating systems.  I use my MacBook Pro in the shop with GS911, and for route planning with Basecamp, and also for Zoom and Microsoft Teams conference calling.  It fits in my tailcase on long trips. I just looked, and found that you can buy a cheap factory refurb MacBook Pro on Amazon for $550.  

I was always a Windows guy... then I bought a MacBook Pro, and after some cursing, have discovered that it does some things really well that are always fussy on a PC.  There are good reasons to have both.  But a MacBook using an Intel processor can swap operating systems... and a Windows laptop can't.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I've gone in a different direction. I have an iMac desktop in the house that I can use to plan rides, didn't want to spend the extra dollars required for their laptop.

15 hours ago, Cap said:

Just a point of reference.  I was told by a Mac guy the new Garmin Zumo XT does NOT interface with a Mac.  He confirmed this with Garmin. 

There is a lengthy thread on the Garmin XT over at advrider.com, starting here:https://advrider.com/f/threads/garmin-zumo-xt.1431553/

Users there have apparently been able to transfer files between their Macs and XT  by connecting it as an Android device. as reported here:

"After I got home this afternoon, I did a little digging and experimenting and discovered a number of things that have completely solved my connectivity worries. So for anyone else on a Mac, here's what you'll want to know.

The Zumo XT is apparently an Android device. It cannot be mounted as a drive in the Mac Finder. But a USB connection can be recognized by certain apps -- BUT only one at a time. So plug in the XT via USB, and Garmin Express will recognize it without issue (and automatically, if you have its icon up in your menu bar). But no other app can see it at the same time.

If you quit out of Express (not just the app, also the Garmin Express Service -- click on the triangle icon in your menu bar and select Quit), you can then open Basecamp and it will see the XT and make it available (see screenshot below). You can use Basecamp as normal and transfer data in the usual way."

Another option is to use the Android File Transfer app on macOS to access the XT's filesystem (again, you have to quit out of Express, Basecamp, etc first). Then you can drop a GPX file directly onto the XT, or retrieve screenshots or whatever from the XT."

I cannot attest to this as I have neither an XT or Mac, just passing the info along.

23 hours ago, Skywagon said:

PadG agree with you...just suggesting that finding a used PC with SSD and other features for under $300 will be a tall order.

P.S,.... 40 years with a large PC mfg gives me a little bit of knowledge and a few patents :)

Very good!  I have to admit that I had misunderstood your post to mean that the SSD costs that much.  Realized my mistake well after I walked away from my computer.

I also have a long experience with computers, but only as a hobby.  Got hooked on the programming side in the very early '70s when I was doing my second engineering degree, and I had to take Fortran IV course for 3 credits.  The keypunch room was totally open to anybody to use, and when you created your program and punched it out, all that one has to do is hand it over to be run, at that time on the state of the arts IBM 360 mainframe, and no questions asked.  Got into the hardware side of it when the TI home computer (99-4/A, if I recalled, getting forgetful at my age) dropped in price from almost $1,000 to just $500.  All of 16k of free memory to use!!  The next was the IBM PC, when it first came out, and at the time I had found a supplier who will sell the very barebone system without the standard 5-1/4" floppy drive, and I put in a pair of 1/2 height floppy drives myself in one bay, and I had a 10 meg. half-height hard drive in the other bay, with room left for another drive.  I also went for high resolution (for the time) and added memory expansion card as well as replacing the oscillator chip with a higher frequency one to boost the cpu speed from the standard 4.7 mHz to 8 mHz.  It's all pretty much what Michael Dell did at the same time to eventually makes him a multi-millionaire!